J21 breakout adapters

Oct 15, 2021
Coming soon to a JCM-1.com near you - J21 breakout adapters for the #Apple #Macintosh SE & SE/30. Finally, you just use a bench power supply and a #RGBtoHDMI or #OSSC to troubleshoot boards!

IMG_4050.jpg

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Ron's Computer Videos
I've been checking Joe's Shop daily, but I'm not seeing that nifty little device appear. When is the official release date?

Also, if you or Joe have a video or even a text writeup about it, that would certainly be helpful to illustrate what it is and why it is useful.

Thanks!

Oct 15, 2021
@Ron's Computer Videos
I've been checking Joe's Shop daily, but I'm not seeing that nifty little device appear. When is the official release date?

Also, if you or Joe have a video or even a text writeup about it, that would certainly be helpful to illustrate what it is and why it is useful.

Thanks!

They appear to test out just fine in use... but since they have to be hand soldered, it might be a tiny bit before they end up on JCM-1.

I'll work on creating a bit of a writeup, but it's really as basic as this:

Do you need a way to easily build a test rig for SE or SE/30 machines that does not require you to balance the motherboard perpendicular to the machine?

Are you tired of accidentally electrocuting yourself every time you want to troubleshoot your powered-on SE or SE/30 motherboard?

Is the threat of necking your SE or SE/30's tube too much to bear?

WELL HAVE I GOT A SOLUTION FOR YOU...

RCV's J12 Breakout Adapter!

Wire +12, +5, GND, -12, -5 and TTL video (connect your OSSC/RetroTink/RGBtoHDMI) and ditch that dangerous analog board!

• Love
Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Thanks, Ron. I look forward to getting my hands on one. I will also need to acquire one of those OSSC/RetroTrink/RGBtoHDMI as I've never used any of those either.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@Ron's Computer Videos
Adrian's kit for the Mac Plus is shown in his new video at the 12:16 timestamp below...

That kit with onboard ATX power supply attaches directly to the main motherboard connector, then he adds a 12V power source to it, and then he attaches an RGB-to-HDMI adapter, which in turn goes to a modern HDMI capable monitor. Adrian later shows his settings for the RGB-to-HDMI box, which is interestingly what @Mu0n showed in his thread here today.

Having the equivalent for an SE/30 is what I've been pondering, which is why I expressed interest in hearing more about your project, Ron.

Oct 15, 2021
@Ron's Computer Videos
Adrian's kit for the Mac Plus is shown in his new video at the 12:16 timestamp below...

That kit with onboard ATX power supply attaches directly to the main motherboard connector, then he adds a 12V power source to it, and then he attaches an RGB-to-HDMI adapter, which in turn goes to a modern HDMI capable monitor. Adrian later shows his settings for the RGB-to-HDMI box, which is interestingly what @Mu0n showed in his thread here today.

Having the equivalent for an SE/30 is what I've been pondering, which is why I expressed interest in hearing more about your project, Ron.

That creator also has a version of the SE/30.... But it still plugs into the analog board... so it serves a different audience than the device I have made.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
That creator also has a version of the SE/30.... But it still plugs into the analog board... so it serves a different audience than the device I have made.

Thank you for the information, Ron!

Yes, I would prefer a solution for an SE/30 motherboard that is pretty much the same as the solution for the Mac Plus motherboard shown in Adrian‘s video. Not needing the analog board or stock CRT at all is the real benefit here.

Oct 15, 2021
Thank you for the information, Ron!

Yes, I would prefer a solution for an SE/30 motherboard that is pretty much the same as the solution for the Mac Plus motherboard shown in Adrian‘s video. Not needing the analog board or stock CRT at all is the real benefit here.

As soon as my prototypes arrive in the mail, I'll gladly test them with a PICO ATX board.

If there is a specific model of PICO and 12V supply that you would like to see tested, link me the model information below and I will order them.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
As soon as my prototypes arrive in the mail, I'll gladly test them with a PICO ATX board.

If there is a specific model of PICO and 12V supply that you would like to see tested, link me the model information below and I will order them.
I don’t have much experience with those power supplies, so I don’t really have a preference. Small yet powerful enough is about all I can say.

But if you would be so kind as to put together a second kit for me, I would be more than happy to buy that from you! :) Buying a complete kit from the same source (especially an amazingly well informed source such as yourself ) certainly beats getting all the parts from different places, especially because I live in Japan.

Of course, if that’s too much trouble or just impossible, I fully understand.

Thank you, Ron!

Oct 15, 2021
I don’t have much experience with those power supplies, so I don’t really have a preference. Small yet powerful enough is about all I can say.

But if you would be so kind as to put together a second kit for me, I would be more than happy to buy that from you! :) Buying a complete kit from the same source (especially an amazingly well informed source such as yourself ) certainly beats getting all the parts from different places, especially because I live in Japan.

Of course, if that’s too much trouble or just impossible, I fully understand.

Thank you, Ron!

The prototype should be coming in sometime this week. If you were to send me an address to the Land of the Rising Sun, I could likely get something in the mail to you :)

• Love