Kitchen demo & remodel

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Customized storage shelves in that space for what's now there and more would balance things out nicely. ;)

View attachment 6412

In our 50's Cold War era Apartment Building/Co-op there was nothing above its fabulous gas range . . .

edit: design detail of above; the shelves are built into the wall that converted our "Junior Four" into a Two Bedroom. Behind the cookbooks on the shelves is the wall below. It's the thickness of 1/2" drywall finished both sides.

View attachment 6413

Hats and straw whisk broom kinda thingie on left are opposite the kitchen's built-in shelves.
I like this idea very much for the over the fridge space. Your custom shelve idea over the range are a good fit for this space I think. It would block light from traveling but would allow me to make custom shelving out of nice strong hard wood (vs common prefab manufactured materials) that I think would handle the weight of that iron (I have 5 CI dutch ovens, some enameled and some not) a lot better which together is stupidly heavy. For my CI pans, they will get a hanging treatment like this I think:
CI DIY hanger.jpg

This will be on the right side of the refrigerator right next to the backdoor and will hold the 5 or 6 .. maybe 8 CI pans I would be using. My brother lives out in the sticks in southern Ohio literally on the highest hill in the area so he is a bonafide hill-jack and he did a fantastic job remodeling his farm house kitchen with all reclaimed & refinished mid 50s metal & wood cabinetry. He built a single level CI rack that surrounds his entire kitchen as he has a bunch of beautiful CI he likes to display and use. My space is very limited unlike his kitchen that is really big and open (part of an open concept farm house) so mine is going to be multi tier much like the one in the picture. This is all in the future so probably something Ill get to in the new year. That will give me time to source some neat forged CI hooks like the ones in the pics. My brother used these old square head nails from a really old barn that had sat down, rotted a bit and then burned in his area. Those look really cool too. Hmm, maybe he has a couple left over. Another intent of this is to pull that finished wood theme from the counter to my cutting block to that other wall with these. Anyhow, you guys all know. It never ends. :D

Last edited:
Reactions: retr01

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
The secret to home improvement . . . don't start. :eek:

Glad you liked the over range shelving suggestion for over fridge/next to pantry space.

Depending on the support requirements, I've go a slick hanger bolt/connector nut/threaded rod solution for supporting the front edge from the joists above. Customer used it for his over garage door storage platform project. He said it's the envy of al his neighbors.

Going from memory, no time to go through the thread ATM:
If you span the ceiling for the asymmetrical shelving assy from over "top" of pantry to somewhere a bit more than halfway to the right end you won't be joist spacing limited for the supports.

BTW, I don"t think you've posted the floor plan yet? A pic from dead on of the cubic in question would help a lot in the meantime. ;)

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Money pit for a reason LOL. I already am on to the next project which is tearing out the old carpet on the stairs and installing new oak boards which I have stacked up in the garage. Hopefully I get to that tomorrow. which I have about 25 or so to get done. It would be nice to get those cut and nailed into place by Thanksgiving. Cutting it close but Murphy came a knockin' and I was down last week with Covid (feeling fine now) which put me behind. Those stairs should in theory already be done lol.

I don't have the schematic we initially put together where it is easy to get to (wife has it squirreled away somewhere in her office) but that is not necessary to get something put together I think.. That schematic was more to get a visual on how the cabinetry units would come together and which to buy. This is a single space, so a box essentially. Anyhow, I have two studs behind the refrigerator that would be the anchor points for the box if I did go that route but could go into a joist for additional strength if need be.