Low-cost 3 MB RAM card for Macintosh Classic

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Hmm well the required dimensions are actually somewhat more dramatic...
Screen Shot 2021-11-17 at 5.26.46 PM.png

It's 8.58 mm (2.7 inches) at the bottom, same as the width of the original. Looks kinda crazy though. Am I worrying about it too much? Should I just go ahead with these dimensions?

Edit: Garrett says it looks like a rocketship and if only it was a more unique and interesting gizmo we could call it the Rocket RAM and have a space theme hahahah

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: trag and alxlab

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Well the aesthetics is a personal thing. I find it looks kinda interesting with the wings on the bottom. Sorta looks like a fat rocket to me lol.

I'm kinda boring/classic for design and would probably just make it rectangular with the same width as the original card from top to bottom.

Reactions: Zane Kaminski

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
My $0.02 - the OEM expansion card was much taller and heavier than what you've designed, and likely needed the rails on the chassis for support due to the torque that could have potentially been exerted on the motherboard connector. With your design I wouldn't be concerned with utilization of the rails. Doing so won't hurt anything, so I suppose you can't go wrong. I am also noticing that the OEM card doesn't fit right in the center of the plastic motherboard connector. Not sure if this is by design, but it doesn't appear to be adding any structural support, only a guide to help the installer find the pins. Your latest rectangular design sure is sleek looking though!

IMG_7279.JPG

Reactions: alxlab

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Agreed that using the cheaper standard 2.54mm pitch headers makes more sense to keep costs low.

Think cutting would be easier. I just use wire snips so it's pretty fast. If you wanted a nice clean cut then could probably make a jig with a miter saw.

Dremel on a stand with a "diamond" cutting wheel might work well too. I cut paired 30-pin SIMM sockets that way.

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Just ordered a few boards! Yeah, the wider design was the right way all along, that way it'll go in the chassis rails as well as guide the insertion of the card into the motherboard. Obvious in retrospect but the card is so short that I thought it wouldn't rise up to the chassis rails at all until I actually measured.

@Garrett I'm having the boards sent directly to you from JLCPCB and I'll send you the rest of the parts once I receive them.

Reactions: Garrett

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
:) Can you add break-away tabs on the upper sides so that one can remove them and have a Rocket RAM if one wishes? Red or orange solder mask... :)

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Nice to see you join the forum Garrett :)

It was always "Garrett" says something.

This kind of ruins the mysterious man behind the scenes / larger than life image I had of you though :D

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Nice to see you join the forum Garrett :)

It was always "Garrett" says something.

This kind of ruins the mysterious man behind the scenes / larger than life image I had of you though :D
I hate to disappoint, but I am not the legend behind "Garrett's Workshop"... we just share the same name with the same spelling!

• Wow
Reactions: alxlab

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Boards are on the way to you, Garrett. Wow, that was fast! I picked slow shipping though so it might be a while before the boards get to you. I'll message you the tracking number

Reactions: Garrett

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Update on the project:

@Garrett has assembled the board but unfortunately there is an error in the schematic. :(

The specific issue is that the /WE and /RAS signals have been switched on the main connector, plus the /CAS signals were jumbled up too. Oops... Okay well new boards are on the way. I will also be updating the original post soon too, archiving the old stuff and putting the new board photos and schematic on the first page.

Last edited:
Reactions: Garrett and eric

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Exciting updates this evening! @Zane Kaminski's revised board design is up and running well. System boots and operates normally. The card also fits perfectly in the chassis.

If anyone has any specific tests or benchmarks they'd like to see performed, I'm happy to run them.

Attachments

• IMG_7974.JPG
    IMG_7974.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_7976.JPG
    IMG_7976.JPG
    701.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_7977.JPG
    IMG_7977.JPG
    926.4 KB · Views: 84

Zane Kaminski

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
Columbus, Ohio, USA
Finally we have gotten through our very long production and prototyping backlog enough to made a batch of 50 of these!

0E92ABD5-40E3-4233-AEA8-3329FB3436DA.jpeg

They’re going in the oven right now. Then of course we need to inspect, do any rework (shorts, etc.), hand solder on the connector, quick test, rework+test again if necessary, ultrasonic cleaning, final test, then package. So it’ll be a little bit before they’re on sale but we’re getting there. :)

edit:
806C4425-4789-4715-B2CF-E1FF73FF55AA.jpeg

And when the boards are in the oven, the flux boiling makes the uhh, sweet smell of successful soldering.

Last edited: