Mac Plus analog board - horizontal flickering lines

tom_B

New Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2022
Connecticut
Video:

Analog board has been recapped, no cracked solder joints or anything that I can see. I reflowed the joints for the flyback, and all of the connectors that go between the logic board/CRT.

Happens with multiple logic boards

If I have it on, and tap around the analog board with the rubber handle of a screwdriver, nothing seems to change at all, so I'd assume if it was a cracked solder joint or something it would have showed normal, even for a second.

Any ideas of specific spots to triple check? Any components that may go bad on the analog board that would cause this? I have an analog board I bought with a Parts Mac Plus, but the flyback transformer was cut off, so I was thinking worse case I could remove that flyback, and move the flyback from this one to the other one, but I'd like to avoid doing that if anyone has any ideas

Nov 4, 2021
Tucson, AZ
hmm, doesn't look like sync is dropping, just the video signal. I suspect that there's a transistor or amplifier chip taking the TTL signal from the logic board and generating the power for the electron gun.

Reactions: tom_B

tom_B

New Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2022
Connecticut
Ok, so

Checked a couple of the ICs on analog board 1-they test fine(U1 and u2)

So I decide screw it, grab analog board 2, swap the flyback from 1 to 2(because the 1 on 2's wire is cut)
move all the new caps over from 1 to 2

Turn it on, same issue

Issue is across 2 logic boards too

So, it's either;
1- same exact component is dead on both analog boards(i feel thats unlikely)
2- something with either one of the cables from the AB to the Logicboard, CRT neck, or CRT yoke
3- capacitor issue. either a failed cap(they're brand new from console5) or a wrong value somewhere
4- issue with flyback transformer(don't think this would be it)
5- CRT issue?

So next step is I'm gonna open a 2nd plus, and start swapping cables and parts. see if I can at least verify its the analog board, and not another component, and start going from there

tom_B

New Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2022
Connecticut
Doesn't seem to be anything on the cable. Just wire and plugs(and a ferrite core). I checked the cable with the meter and it seems solid
checked the cable that connects to the neck of the CRT as well, and that seems fine

I noticed the pins on the CRT look a bit discolored, so I'm starting to lean towards a CRT problem

1660921655341.png

tom_B

New Tinkerer
Aug 3, 2022
Connecticut
With some help from Techknight on the TD discord, and some parts swapping, turns out it's the tube(not caused from the discoloration on the pins, but either gassy, or a short in the CRT)

Thanks for the advice too luminescentsimian and jajan547!