Macintosh Portable horror story

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
if you need or want any 3d printed parts let me know

I’m going to try to make some new trackball rollers today out of TPU…
I might take you up on that. I have not had any success with printing TPU on my 3d printer. It worked well for the battery enclosure, but I would love to get some replacement feet, and rollers for the trackball if you are able to reproduce them. Let me know how it turns out and I can pay you for the parts.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I might take you up on that. I have not had any success with printing TPU on my 3d printer. It worked well for the battery enclosure, but I would love to get some replacement feet, and rollers for the trackball if you are able to reproduce them. Let me know how it turns out and I can pay you for the parts.

the feet came out good and the rollers are looking very promising. A few more iterations and I’ll be testing them out.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    888.3 KB · Views: 84
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1,015.7 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: wottle

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Well the slightest little imperfection and they don’t roll. So this might not be a good option. I’m going to try some of this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2957639124...Q425jH5TBq&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
Yeah it looks like the rod is 1mm and the outer diameter is supposed to be 4mm (mine is all over the place). As long as it is grippy enough to grab the track ball, that might be a good solution. And much easier to get a perfectly round outer diameter. Mine left/right one is slightly lumpy and it is painful to use. The up/down one has a flat spot and a large lump and it actually gets caught trying to spin and refuses to move more than a few pixels. I'll probably order some as well in the hopes it will work. I'm currently using a Kensington ADB trackball, so the experience is still somewhat authentic. :)

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
He has 3 feet for $9 I ordered some. If you want to wait I’ll send you a strip of it along with some TPU feet. Or if you don’t want to wait you can order some and send me your address and I’ll ship you some feet. I’ll print a batch now.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
He has 3 feet for $9 I ordered some. If you want to wait I’ll send you a strip of it along with some TPU feet. Or if you don’t want to wait you can order some and send me your address and I’ll ship you some feet. I’ll print a batch now.
Yeah, let's see if those work and if you're willing to snip off a bit and print som feet, I'll split the cost of the silicon tubing and pay for shipping. I'm not in a huge rush as I will probably be keeping the Portable opened up for a while doing the power port repairs, recap of the backlight inverter, and probably the hybrid module replacement. Appreciate it!

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
sounds good. Yeah I’m on the hunt for a LCD display. I tried to fix mine that had a couple missing single pixel rows and I swapped some driver chips and it got worse.
I think the contacts on the glass just deteriorate over time and there’s nothing you can do about it. Need someone to manufacture reproductions.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Two thoughts on the LiFePO4. First, it might need time to charge up to full voltage. Second, your hybrid's battery level reporting opamps might be showing the wrong charge level. This happens with hybrids that have seen just about any level of capacitor fluid ingress, it gets into the precision resistors on the PCB and then stuff swings all over the place.

So, it looks like the LiFePO4 battery does have a slightly higher voltage when charged (6.57 vs 6.38). I would have thought the higher voltage would simply have made it think the battery was fully charged. I'll see how things go after the hybrid board is swapped out.

Any tips for removing the hybrid board? If I remember from when the logic board was out, the pins wrapped around the boar and were soldered on top (and maybe the bottom?). I believe you're replacement had a new set of pins to use, so probably best to remove from the through-holes from the underside?

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
One additional bit of work I have planned is to try to model a Portable battery charging stand where you can take a Portable battery and drop it on a charging station, hooked up to a 6v slow charger to allow me to charge up my extra portable battery when not in the machine. This will allow me to not rely the power adapter, which are harder to come by.
I have a charging stand if you need any measurements - but they're not exactly a complicated bit of engineering. There is a button that gets depressed when the battery is in place - I've not looked inside but I'm guessing it doesn't do much more than disconnecting the charge pins when there's no battery installed..

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I have a charging stand if you need any measurements - but they're not exactly a complicated bit of engineering. There is a button that gets depressed when the battery is in place - I've not looked inside but I'm guessing it doesn't do much more than disconnecting the charge pins when there's no battery installed..
Yeah, I was thinking a couple of bent contacts for positive and negative, like the battery compartment in the Portable. Then a momentary switch in the base that the weight of the battery will hold down. With a slight chamfer to the lip to guide it into the contacts (fortunately the contacts are huge, so this should be easy. I may even use one of my spare Portable battery adapter PCBs as the wiring and connection point for the contacts.

I have a cheap little portable spot welder. Would that be OK to weld some zinc strips to the PCB contacts, or would it damage the pads on the PCB? Should I just solder the tabs on?

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Any tips for removing the hybrid board? If I remember from when the logic board was out, the pins wrapped around the boar and were soldered on top (and maybe the bottom?). I believe you're replacement had a new set of pins to use, so probably best to remove from the through-holes from the underside?
I use a Hakko desoldering tool from under the main portable PCB. The pins are pretty skinny, there's a lot of solder around them.

Correct, replacement hybrids include new pin headers.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Yeah, let's see if those work and if you're willing to snip off a bit and print som feet, I'll split the cost of the silicon tubing and pay for shipping. I'm not in a huge rush as I will probably be keeping the Portable opened up for a while doing the power port repairs, recap of the backlight inverter, and probably the hybrid module replacement. Appreciate it!
That silicone tubing worked but the inner diameter is a little too big so i had to put a dab of superglue in the shaft to hold them in place but it so far its working good.

techknight

Staff member
Dec 2, 2021
North Carolina
That silicone tubing worked but the inner diameter is a little too big so i had to put a dab of superglue in the shaft to hold them in place but it so far its working good.
Thanks for the info on this! They have some 0.8mm ones on ebay so maybe I will try that.

moldy

New Tinkerer
Aug 1, 2022
One additional bit of work I have planned is to try to model a Portable battery charging stand where you can take a Portable battery and drop it on a charging station, hooked up to a 6v slow charger to allow me to charge up my extra portable battery when not in the machine. This will allow me to not rely the power adapter, which are harder to come by.
A bit late, but I realized my recently published project might be exactly what you need: https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/mac-portable-battery-charger-tray.2878/ Maybe that helps, at least as a reference!