MacTilt

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Was looking for something in the basement today and forgot I had this. Anyone used one before? Is it stable or is it as precarious as pictures make it look? Suppose I should put it under my SE and find out :)

PXL_20230315_041652407.jpg PXL_20230315_041726769.jpg

• Love
Reactions: retr01

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Looks like they have another one in the background. That picture just doesn't give me the warm-n-fuzzies 😬

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Got a picture of it outside the box? :D

Interesting that it specifies the SE, is the foot profile different with the SE from the earlier compact Macs?
I'll try to find time to take it out and assemble it. Literally forgot I had it. I do know that it probably makes my SE too tall to fit in its current home, and I'm not going to put it in a more prominent place ontop of that sketchy-looking thing with cats running around 😆

I was wondering the same thing about compatibility with other compacts. Only compacts I have are an SE and a Classic though.

Reactions: lilliputian

lilliputian

Tinkerer
Mar 6, 2022
Los Angeles, California, USA
Someone posted one of these on reddit today. Looks absolutely ridiculous! 😂

https://www.reddit.com/r/VintageApple/comments/11rff8u
One of the Slideaway Keyboard Stands in that photo is actually for sale (complete in box!) on ebay currently for the low low price of US$99 +shipping....

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
One of the Slideaway Keyboard Stands in that photo is actually for sale (complete in box!) on ebay currently for the low low price of US$99 +shipping....

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I have been considering 3D printing a solution similar to Mac Tilt for my SE and SE/30. Looks like it shouldn't be difficult to do that. Kensington did have another one that is a simple shelf to put keyboard under.

Perhaps we can create 3D printed versions of the shelf and the tilt for compact Macs? :)

DSCF2827.jpg

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
So I took this thing out and played with it this morning. It's definitely minty-fresh-unused-new-in-box:

PXL_20230316_131332585.jpg PXL_20230316_131352637.jpg PXL_20230316_130739817.jpg PXL_20230316_130841340.jpg PXL_20230316_131048982.jpg PXL_20230316_131056731.jpg

Full forward and backward tilt:

PXL_20230316_131737509.jpg PXL_20230316_131804407.jpg

The verdict? I actually kind of like it, and would definitely want one if I was using a compact mac all day. It feels like you're putting a lot of trust in those two little wire clips though. Apparently Ergotron made a conversion kit for the Classic...wonder what my chances of finding one of those are? :rolleyes:

PXL_20230316_131703406.jpg PXL_20230316_132244808.jpg

Edit: And before anyone tells me that Kensington System Saver is pointless on an SE because there's no vent hole in the handle...I know. I just figured it would be better stored on a Mac instead of in a box somewhere, and it conveniently moves the power switch to the front :)

Last edited:

Garth Beagle

Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
Very cool seeing all the packaging for the MacTilt!

And yes that's my Mac SE/30 and stands - I totally love these stands, how they look and move. Seems almost like a perfect matching design.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Only kinda related to the MacTilt, but I found this with it in the basement too:

PXL_20230315_191444410.jpg

It's a monitor stand for the IIgs and IIc with space for two 3.5" drives underneath when used with a IIgs. Apparently there were removable angled risers for it to allow putting a IIc under it too...not sure how you'd access the drive on a IIc while it was under this thing though. I pulled out my other IIgs to mock it up:

PXL_20230315_191247663.jpg

Edit: Duh...with the risers, a IIc would go in front of the monitor stand and under the overhanging "lip" which has been elevated by the risers. Then I guess you could stuff the IIc's huge power brick behind it under the monitor if you wanted. Since the IIc's keyboard is integrated, you'd end up with a similar "footprint" on your desk to putting the stand directly ontop of a IIgs with an ADB keyboard in front of it.

Last edited:

JustG

New Tinkerer
Dec 12, 2021
California
Ah, the MacTilt! I had one for my SE/30 way back when. When I see people find one and post them up there's always that concern of it falling out. Aside from KennyPowers, I've never seen anyone have those small retaining clips with the stand. I distinctly remember having those for mine and I never had any problems with the stand.

Semi-unrelated. There has to be a market for custom bent wire/springs. You'd think someone with one of those programmable wire bending machines would offer a service to plug in a design file and "print" a no longer produced part like the retainers for the MacTilt.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
I would trust it to hold the Mac. Ergotron has been making quality ergonomic products since the 90's. I have used some of their armature products when they were essentially the only company in that space, and they are very well built and have held various pieces of IT I have challenged it with well for nearly a decade.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Showed my dad this thread and he was like "I have one of those "$99" Kensington slidaway keyboard stands...no box though, so probably only worth $98.99, lol. You want it?". So he's shipping that to me.

Anyone know where I might find the MacTilt conversion for the Mac Classic? Or maybe something could be printed? I haven't looked to see if the feet are the same on the SE and Classic and maybe the "conversion" is just a standoff or replacement plate with a hole in it for airflow under the case?

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
Showed my dad this thread and he was like "I have one of those "$99" Kensington slidaway keyboard stands...no box though, so probably only worth $98.99, lol. You want it?". So he's shipping that to me.

Anyone know where I might find the MacTilt conversion for the Mac Classic? Or maybe something could be printed? I haven't looked to see if the feet are the same on the SE and Classic and maybe the "conversion" is just a standoff or replacement plate with a hole in it for airflow under the case?

I'd honestly suggest contacting Ergotron. I have contacted them over the years with unusual edge cases related to their parts, and the company is very responsive. When customer service couldn't help, they've had me talk to their engineers. They've even sold me pieces directly that were no longer generally available that they had sitting around in their warehouse. It's entirely possible they may still have the piece you are looking for.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I'd honestly suggest contacting Ergotron. I have contacted them over the years with unusual edge cases related to their parts, and the company is very responsive. When customer service couldn't help, they've had me talk to their engineers.

I tried, but no luck. Customer service would not connect me to their engineers. Their response was terse like "We use to carry these mounts and it was very popular at the time, but unfortunately we no longer carry these as these are not common monitors. Sorry I couldn't be more of assistance on this one. Is there anything else I can assist with in the meantime?"

They've even sold me pieces directly that were no longer generally available that they had sitting around in their warehouse. It's entirely possible they may still have the piece you are looking for.

That is really cool. I guess sometimes people who now work for those companies' customer care nowdays just dont really care and not very helpful.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I tried, but no luck. Customer service would not connect me to their engineers. Their response was terse like "We use to carry these mounts and it was very popular at the time, but unfortunately we no longer carry these as these are not common monitors. Sorry I couldn't be more of assistance on this one. Is there anything else I can assist with in the meantime?"

That is really cool. I guess sometimes people who now work for those companies' customer care nowdays just dont really care and not very helpful.
Hey, it says "Lifetime Warranty" right here in the instruction manual ;). Wonder what they would say if I needed warranty service? I guess they'd probably point out that I never mailed in the warranty registration card that I have here 😆