MARCHintosh Projects?

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
Let's hear them!

My primary one is getting my new SE/30 working, and then get it setup with my Radius pivot card and display doing the color output. Bonus goal: If I can acquire a clear case by then, I'd love to have it in its new body.

What are yours?

Byte Knight

Tinkerer
Oct 21, 2021
I plan to set up a 6-node wifi modem Hermes II BBS on my Mac IIci for the month of March again, but this time it will include an old-school dial-up modem on one of those nodes.

IMG_6139.jpg

mejs

New Tinkerer
Nov 10, 2023
NYC
blog.vladovince.com

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I'm building a Lisa/Mac XL from scratch! My only "complete" part is a spare Macintosh XL CPU board. I'm documenting the process here: https://mastodon.vladovince.com/@mejs/112001786014474036

View attachment 15330

My early Marchintosh project was documenting the build of two SE/30 boards, which went sideways in every possible way: https://blog.vladovince.com/i-get-k...gain-the-sisyphean-macintosh-se-30-struggles/

That's amazing. My first SE/30 arrive last night. It was a struggle opening the case, but I managed to do it. Hahaha. Here's the plan today:

While the caps are on the way, I'm going to focus on this no-power condition. So Imma take the ICs out and do a few rounds of sonic cleaning and a 91% IPA soak and rinse, reconnect things and start trouble shooting. It was powering on with simasimac (horizontal zebra variety) before shipping, now it's not powering on at all. So I think I'll start with the power switch, then the analog board. I'm going to inspect the usual solder joints for cracking and reflow as needed - not gonna do proper resolder on the analog because I have a new purple board on the way. I wanna inspect instead of reflowing everything to build up my board inspection skills.

- Katrina

Reactions: mejs

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue

Arbystpossum

Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
Are there rules for Marchintosh like there was the PowerPC Challenge?

Either way, I have a BlueSCSI 2 with the Dynaport stuff, and I have no idea how it works or what to expect, I need to look up a guide. BUT, we're gonna do it, and it's gonna be great, I think. I enjoy setting systems up from zero, it's fun to install and range things. I'm jamming this thing into a Quadra 605 that I have running at 33Mhz. One day I'll get a 601 in here.

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
IMG_2258.JPG

My first #MARCHintosh project was to dope-slap some new life into my 17" PowerBook G4. I picked up an IDE-to-M.2 adapter case and was able to successfully format a 64GB M.2 drive. I installed 10.5 (later upgraded to 10.5.8 through Software Update) and migrated everything over from my iMac G4.

It's running quite nicely now. Boots in about 20 seconds. My plan is to use Adobe InDesign CS4 to create a simple tri-fold sheet of tech tips that will be handed out at the next local chamber of commerce meeting.

badferday

Tinkerer
Jan 26, 2024
I had to shift gears. I been working on this possessed Mac Pro through the month. I will have pics soon!!