BlueSCSI v2 Pico - Low cost, open hardware, fast SCSI device!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
...here's a new release with a fix for the ROM drive...
@eric
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is that fix exactly?

With a ROM-inator II ROM SIMM, you can press R to boot from a ROM disk or press A to load that ROM disk into RAM and boot from that (which offers edibility). The ROM SIMM from @Zane Kaminski goes further with its own app to allow mounting of the ROM disk even if you boot from a SCSI drive!

So I am curious what the problem was which required a fix.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
The complete details are in the ticket linked to in the release notes.
I clicked that before I posted, and I even checked the following page, but didn't (and still don't) fully understand...

This has nothing to do with a Macintosh ROM - it is the ROM drive (flash memory on the Pico) on the BlueSCSI.
OK. I'm doing a video on ROM SIMMs now, and I wanted to confirm that point. Not related to ROM SIMMs... Got it! Thanks!

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
Posting this here for those looking for a mount that brings the 50 pin connector to nearly the same position as an OEM hard drive. It won't work in the compact Macs, as they require side mounting screws. Tested to work in devices where the original drive screws in from the bottom. Also including an STL for the V1, because why not.

Attachments

• BlueSCSI V1.1 IIsi.zip
    6.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BlueSCSI v2 IIsi.zip
    7.9 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: JDW and eric

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
I look forward to seeing that the 3D printed case designs will look like.
Close to final version from @Javmast3r !

Very nice fit and sturdy

IMG_4516.jpeg

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Been working on an update to the BlueSCSI Desktop board for awhile, and it's not quite done yet. But figured I'd clue you all in: Initiator Mode
This allows BlueSCSI V2 to in-place take byte-level images of original SCSI drives without needing the actual host machine. It could also lead to other interesting features...

Just how many features are we going to cram onto a single Pico-W stick? All of them.
SCSI Target
SCSI Initiator
WiFi (looking at you, Potato-Fi)
I2C?

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Perhaps I missed something, but I'm having trouble getting JLCPCB to process the BOM and CPL files for the v2 desktop board -- it just keeps throwing a generic error. I tried removing the through-hole parts from the CPL but that didn't help. Maybe JLCPCB is just having server problems today, but are there other edits I need to make?

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Just tried in Firefox (i have seen ad blockers and other weird things mess with JLCPCB) - only "error" i get is this (these are just the Jumpers/headers and the Pico, which are not part of the PNP assembly)

1696093915183.png

It should be safe to hit continue (and verify parts placement in the next pages)

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
New (big) release! https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/releases/tag/v2023.10.12

What's new!​

Add SCSI ethernet support, emulating a Dayna SCSI/Link by @jcs in #59

BlueSCSI can emulate a SCSI Network adapter if you have a Pico-W! Full details here: https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/WiFi-DaynaPORT

Initiator mode support by @androda in #80

Initiator mode allows BlueSCSI to clone drives without a host computer. BlueSCSI will act as the initiator and clone the drive the the SD Card. Usability improvements were made the the cloning process to avoid bad or partial clones.
Note Initiator does require a hardware update - which you can read about here https://androda.work/bluescsi-initiator-mode-and-stock-update/
Documentation: https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/Initiator-Mode

BlueSCSI Toolbox goes 1.0 by @erichelgeson in #79

BlueSCSI Toolbox is a suite of apps that allow you to do things like change CD's or transfer files directly from your SD card to your vintage machine. Find out more here: https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/Toolbox

Fixes​

Full Changelog: v2023.08.10...v2023.10.12

Contributors​

@jcs, @mactcp, @androda, @mynameistroy, @erichelgeson, @PetteriAimonen, @jjakob, @phe78

How to update​

https://github.com/BlueSCSI/BlueSCSI-v2/wiki/Updating-Firmware

Need Help?​

Find us on Discord, TinkerDifferent, or Github Issues/Discussions.

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
The super cool thing about this release is that it works across all existing BlueSCSI V2 Hardware. We don't have separate builds for WiFi, or separate builds for Initiator hardware. One binary for all, no confusion, no mess.

And speaking of Initiator hardware, that's merged into the BlueSCSI V2 repo and available for download now. It's a 4-layer design to better help keep the electrons from falling out (as Dave Jones likes to say).

And I ought to have Desktop Initiator PCBs available on my site starting tomorrow.

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
Are there any recommended alternate parts for U3 and SD1? Both are low/no stock at JLCPCB. (The 100mW 100-ohm resistors at R39 etc are also low-stock, but part C160517 appears to be equivalent.)

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Big release for BlueSCSI with tons of fixes for initiator - If you watched Adrian's Digital Basement's video on initiator we've fixed all but one issue he ran into. Last one unfortunately we cant reproduce with the drives we have.

New​

Initiator Bug Fixes​

SCSI​

Platform​

Hardware​

Docs​

• docs: Update readme to point to wiki for hardware 9e815ed @erichelgeson
  • Add copyright notices to source files missing them 8a9b78d @androda & @PetteriAimonen
  • 143 Wiki updates from 19 authors! - Benedict-1966 VicTheVicar jacexpo bobsahib uweseimet parabellum mac84tv OneGeekArmy androda attila.wagner ben bruce carey.gene.brown erichelgeson gutbomb jcs plaes toyoshim

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Dear community, dear Eric, is it already possible to use a qwiic display with V2?
Not yet! Should be coming soon though, just need more free time to wrap it up. I do have a menuing system and UI built out. I'll likely post a beta here so stay tuned.

Reactions: FraBro

svenson

New Tinkerer
Mar 27, 2024
Southern Germany
Not yet! Should be coming soon though, just need more free time to wrap it up. I do have a menuing system and UI built out. I'll likely post a beta here so stay tuned.
Hey Eric, that's great news! Looking forward for the beta release. Thank you for your great effort in BlueSCSI!

Reactions: eric