MicroMac Technology MMXL99 SE-PL-CL Universal Accelerator Drivers?

chrisangellis

New Tinkerer
May 10, 2022
New Hampshire
I picked up a nice Classic Mac today from Facebook marketplace. It was in the original box with all the manuals, keyboard, mouse, disk, mouse pad, etc. As I started unbox it I found the manuals for a MicroMac MMXL99 accelerator. It made this find even more exciting. I removed the MicroMac board and placed it on a working Classic board that has been recapped. The board that was in the computer had very clear signs of leakage. I will recap that later. Everything works but I did want to make sure I had the latest drivers and was unable to find a downloadable copy. Does anyone know where to download the drivers? Maybe I should just call the phone number on the card? I did have a chance to test performance and it doubles the speed of a normal Classic. Not bad.

Update, I called the phone number on the board and its someone's person cell phone. Hope its an iPhone. 😉

IMG_2206.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2212.jpg
    IMG_2212.jpg
    283.7 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_2199.jpg
    IMG_2199.jpg
    560.6 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_2200.jpg
    IMG_2200.jpg
    409.4 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_2201.jpg
    IMG_2201.jpg
    363 KB · Views: 82
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
This board doesn't offer memory expansion. There is ram on the board and you can add some with the regular memory expansion board.

Yeah. I noticed it does not have memory expansion, so I wanted to clarify where the RAM SIMMs are. Am I correct in deducing that those RAM SIMMs are under this board on the main logic board since I know the board is attached perpendicular to the expansion slot? :)

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Yeah. I noticed it does not have memory expansion, so I wanted to clarify where the RAM SIMMs are. Am I correct in deducing that those RAM SIMMs are under this board on the main logic board since I know the board is attached perpendicular to the expansion slot? :)
No. On the Macintosh Classic, the only way of adding memory is with a card that either has memory slots or has memory built-in or both. I found a Kingston RAM card in my Macintosh Classic that had 1MB of RAM onboard and 2MB on SIMMs, adding up to 4MB total, including the 1MB onboard

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
No. On the Macintosh Classic, the only way of adding memory is with a card that either has memory slots or has memory built-in or both. I found a Kingston RAM card in my Macintosh Classic that had 1MB of RAM onboard and 2MB on SIMMs, adding up to 4MB total, including the 1MB onboard

Right. Separate from the accelerator card. I am asking, "is the accelerator card hiding the RAM SIMMs?" I do not see the RAM SIMMs anywhere when you have the accelerator installed on the Classic logic board. Wait, is the memory card not installed? What does it look like when installed on the logic board simultaneously with the accelerator?

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
Right. Separate from the accelerator card. I am asking, "is the accelerator card hiding the RAM SIMMs?" I do not see the RAM SIMMs anywhere when you have the accelerator installed on the Classic logic board. Wait, is the memory card not installed? What does it look like when installed on the logic board simultaneously with the accelerator?
There aren't any SIMM slots on the Classic's logic board. There is 1MB of RAM soldered onto the logic board. That large black connector on the left side of OP's picture is for an optional RAM expansion card that sticks up perpendicular to the logic board when installed (so it doesn't physically interfere with any of the common accelerators for the Classic). The RAM expansion card looks like this:

PXL_20220328_211744529.jpg

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
There aren't any SIMM slots on the Classic's logic board. There is 1MB of RAM soldered onto the logic board. That large black connector on the left side of OP's picture is for an optional RAM expansion card that sticks up perpendicular to the logic board when installed (so it doesn't physically interfere with any of the common accelerators for the Classic). The RAM expansion card looks like this:

View attachment 9138

Ah! Now I understand. Thank you, @KennyPowers. :)

@chrisangellis, do you need the drivers? I will try to find them.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Macintosh Garden has those, too. For the Performer, it is the first link.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Very cool! Love to see your progress. My color coded AI modeling is prettier, but seeing it in real deal green is Earth shattering!

Now we only need a MagicalBus adapter running from the Classic socket thruholes to the Radius connector for one of my TPD cards in the Plus adapted, Drexel Branded 128K from whence it came. ;)

@Bolle have you enabled the 32MHz 68030 upgrade we've talked about? I spy a curious jumper there. U7 tweak or jumper to 16MHz takeoff from Plus/Classic boards? What lurks beneath?

edit: how hard would it be to do a Cache daughtercard on one "passthru" or the other? Do you nave a PerformerPro to play with for that or would your more generic module suffice?

edit: never mind, realized how ridiculous such would be in my excitement. That'd be a 16bit cache at 8MHz. :oops:
Has anyone ever done a socketed 68030 cache ONLY board?

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
@Bolle wondering about JP1 again. Bodging a fourth header onto the left side might do the trick? That way the clock doubler GAL could be fed by jumper takeoff from 16MHz on the system board to support a 32MHz 68030?

edit: have you already got something like that implemented as is?