Mystic Options

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
The Castle Wolfenstein and Donkey Kong images do not appear to be ProDOS, but its predecessor Apple DOS. Unless your extensions support Apple DOS, the images won't mount on your Mac.
Is an Enhanced Apple IIe compatible with Apple DOS?

If not, that would imply some software/images won't work even when used with the FloppyEMU, because again, those floppy images came straight off the SD card sold in the FloppyEMU deluxe package.

The intent of the Apple II Card was to allow schools back in the day to buy low cost Macintosh LC computers and have the benefit of a genuine Enhanced Apple IIe too, which is why sales of actual Apple II machines started to decline more rapidly when that IIe Card began sales. Source (keyword search for "
The Apple IIe Card")

I would expect the II Card to run almost anything a true Enhanced Apple IIe would. Any imperfections of the Apple IIe Card versus a genuine IIe are described in this technical document, which unfortunately makes no mention of "Apple DOS."

UPDATE: This LEM page says: "The IIe Card supports three operating systems: Apple DOS 3.3, ProDOS, and Pascal."

In light of that, I would expect the ProDOS extension to also support Apple DOS 3.3 images, although I don't know if the images we are talking about are versions prior to 3.3, which would not be supported. Maybe they are?

Last edited:
Reactions: YMK and retr01

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Is an Enhanced Apple IIe compatible with Apple DOS?

I have no idea. I'm no Apple II expert either.

The FloppyEMU connects to the IIe card directly, so I don't think your Mac knows or cares about what's on the disk, emulated or real.

MacSD is attaching all six images, however your Mac wants to initialize or eject any volume it doesn't understand.

If there's a magic extension out there that keeps unrecognized volumes mounted, it might work.

• Love
Reactions: retr01 and JDW

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yeah, all Apple II series supported ProDOS 8-bit, DOS 3.3, and Pascal. The Apple IIGS can also run ProDOS 16-bit and GSOS. :)

So, @JDW, almost any Apple II (except IIGS) program, whether DOS 3.3 or ProDOS 8, should work with the Apple IIe card. There will be some programs that will act up. The nice thing, I think, is that the folks who put together Total Replay made sure the 8-bit ProDOS or DOS 3.3 games would work on any Apple II series. :)

Reactions: -SE40-, JDW and YMK

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hey @JDW, I set out to see how expensive the Y cable was for the Apple IIe card. It looks like most wanted about $150 for that. :oops:

Then I saw those. Same product, same seller. I wonder if this would work well. :unsure: