Poor eMate needs fixing

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
201
144
43
I acquired a second eMate recently, and this one needs a bit more work than the previous one… First, it needs a good clean and has some rust in places…

Newton_eMate_20260925_005332.jpgNewton_eMate_20260925_005344.jpg

I'll handle that later, first I had to fix that burnt zener diode that shorts the power input. Likely a protection diode (12V when the input is 7.5V), which served its office when some misinformed user send more than 12V into it.

Newton_eMate_20260925_005436.jpgNewton_eMate_20260925_005350.jpg

The one I replaced it with probably can dissipate less but well… At least the short is gone. The power LED lights up green then orange, so there's some life.

Newton_eMate_20260925_014050.jpgNewton_eMate_20260925_014101.jpg

More tomorrow.
 

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
201
144
43
I got distracted because… because people :mad:

Today I cleaned up the bottom case on Dave's stream:


Still needs a lot of work, but I made sure it's working. Just the touch screen doesn't yet, but the screen ribbon needs more cleaning due to spillage.
 

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
201
144
43
So, one spring broke after I added the washer. I suppose that washer was a bit too large and so didn't push the spring inside the cavity properly… Or maybe it just needed more grease… I added a smaller washer under that one for good measure.

1791238265861.jpeg