Power Macintosh Bezels - 9600 / G3

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
Thanks to a generous short-term loan of several original bezels for the PM9600, I have been able to produce accurate 3D model reproductions of the PM9600 / G3 front bezels. Big thank you to @xenocide21 for the loaned parts!

Here are the 3D models for general usage, please be sure to refer to the licensing for anything other than personal use:

jack 68k

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin
These are awesome! I printed the CD-ROM bezel for my G3 Tower and it looks great!

What is your process for initially creating a 3D model for these? Do you start with a 3D scan? The bezel on the front of the AppleCD 600e enclosure is made out of the plastic that turns to dust when you look at it and I've been considering taking on that project.

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
These are awesome! I printed the CD-ROM bezel for my G3 Tower and it looks great!

What is your process for initially creating a 3D model for these? Do you start with a 3D scan? The bezel on the front of the AppleCD 600e enclosure is made out of the plastic that turns to dust when you look at it and I've been considering taking on that project.
Thanks! I recreate the part in Solidworks based on physical measurements, typically using digital vernier calipers or a digital micrometer.

jack 68k

New Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin
Thanks, I have a digital vernier calipers so I'll give it a go and see what happens. Fortunately, the 600e bezel isn't curved across the front so that should simplify things a bit.

chikorita157

New Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2024
Germantown, MD
I just got a Power Macintosh 9600 recently, and I am wondering if anyone is willing to also make a 3D model of the floppy panel. It seems that those are the ones that go missing or become damaged or go missing. There is a thread on the 68kmla trading forums looking for the floppy panel for the 9600/G3.

I'm looking to 3D print a replacement when a 3D model for one becomes available.

Arbystpossum

Tinkerer
Jan 8, 2024
USA
There are some more exotic ones, where they show the whole face of a 3.5in and 5.25 drives, which could make for some interesting modifications, like fan speed monitors and such.

Attachments

• e6mak4rvhgv31.png.webp
    339.8 KB · Views: 9

chikorita157

New Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2024
Germantown, MD
There are some more exotic ones, where they show the whole face of a 3.5in and 5.25 drives, which could make for some interesting modifications, like fan speed monitors and such.
Talking about those, my 9600 seem to came with a Jaz drive, not a 1GB one, but a 2 GB. I thought most come with 1 GB. I know that panels are made for BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI as well.

I probably need to test the drive at some point, but I wouldn't store critical data on one though.

Attachments

• IMG_3965.jpg
    IMG_3965.jpg
    804.9 KB · Views: 15

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
Talking about those, my 9600 seem to came with a Jaz drive, not a 1GB one, but a 2 GB. I thought most come with 1 GB. I know that panels are made for BlueSCSI and ZuluSCSI as well.

I probably need to test the drive at some point, but I wouldn't store critical data on one though.
Only have a few minutes to read this - could you circle the one you want? I thought I already made it

chikorita157

New Tinkerer
Jun 19, 2024
Germantown, MD
Only have a few minutes to read this - could you circle the one you want? I thought I already made it
It's the top panel, the floppy panel (the one on the very top). Those are the ones that seem to go missing or go loose. I have seen the top floppy panel go missing on 8600/9600/G3 on eBay, but there is no 3D print model for a replacement.

Stephen

BetterBit
Staff member
Founder
Sep 5, 2021
San Francisco
It's the top panel, the floppy panel (the one on the very top). Those are the ones that seem to go missing or go loose. I have seen the top floppy panel go missing on 8600/9600/G3 on eBay, but there is no 3D print model for a replacement.
Ah yes. The geometry on that is challenging. Some folks offer 3D scans but I personally think the quality is inferior versus recreating the CAD file - and modifications become more challenging if it’s a scanned file.

If someone wanted to loan me one of these then I could try to recreate it…. But it may take me several months.