Recreateing the Apple TechStep

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Me and @jajan547 are currently working on creating a replica of the Apple Techstep
This will be a functional and (mostly) electrical clone of the original but will not be a exact 1:1 copy as the design will be optimised where changes can be made to make the board easier or cheaper to assemble

Stage 1 was to extract the code from all the custom programmed parts of which there where 4:
(1) The main microcontroller (a MC68HC711E9FN) - This appears to have been completely unprotected, I'm currently awaiting a new micro from china to verify the dump I made is good
(2) A PALCE22V10Q-25JC - This was also unprotected, The dump I made has been programmed top a new part and verified as working
(3 & 4) Two PALC16L8L-25VC's - These where both protected however as these where combinatorial only "L" parts so could be dumped as a 27C020 adapter using the method described here: http://dreamjam.co.uk/emuviews/readpal.php The dumps have both been converted to ATF/GAL16V8's and verified as working

Stage 2 is the hardware
I'm currently waiting for the new micro before starting on the logicboard so I'm going to be starting on the DC in board and then moving on to the port pack
The port pack will likely be integrated directly onto the clones logicboard because as far as I am aware there was only ever one released so eliminating the connectors makes sense (and will give a little more board space which might be important later)

The DC in board will be totally redesigned to do away with the 9V AC adapter and PP3 battery instead having a charge controller for a lithium battery with a micro USB port for charging

Stage 3 will be the casing, keypad and LCD
My intention with the keypad is to replace it with a board using tactile switches as this seems like the easiest route
I'm hoping the LCD will be something standard that a off the shelf module can be found for (I haven't extracted it form the case yet but do not see any apple markings on the board for it)
Case? No idea, maybe it can be 3D printed? (Though my printers bed is waaaay to small!)

Progress will be posted here as we work on this

And thanks again to @jajan547 for loaning me a TechStep to make this possible

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Provisional version of the new DC in board is done:
14-06-22.JPG
14-06-22_3D.JPG

This comprises of a lithium battery charger, battery protection IC and associated dual mosfet and two boost regulators (+5v and +9V)
This board can in theory be fitted to a original techstep however the +5V regulator should be omitted in this case (as the +5v regulator on the original unit is on the logicboard and the connection this is using for +5V is connected to to the battery connector on the original) also if you do this the power switch and charging socket positions will be swapped (it should fit with no case modifications though)

It still needs a little tweaking and cleaning up but I think it's looking good so far :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Wow! 😮😃(y)

I have some questions. :unsure:🖐❓❓❓

1. Will this be able to connect to all 68k compact and desktop Macs and diagnose them?
  2. Will it look like the original TechStep with some upgrades, such as a touch screen?
  3. Can we use microSD for all those "ROM cartridges" and select them on the touch screen?
  4. How will you deal with some unobtainium and other parts that may be difficult to get, such as serial and other connectors to solder on the board?
  5. Can this be affordable?
  6. Can this do more than Apple's Personal Diagnostics software and other Apple Service programs?
  7. Can you offer unassembled and assembled?

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Wow! 😮😃(y)

I have some questions. :unsure:🖐❓❓❓

1. Will this be able to connect to all 68k compact and desktop Macs and diagnose them?
  2. Will it look like the original TechStep with some upgrades, such as a touch screen?
  3. Can we use microSD for all those "ROM cartridges" and select them on the touch screen?
  4. How will you deal with some unobtainium and other parts that may be difficult to get, such as serial and other connectors to solder on the board?
  5. Can this be affordable?
  6. Can this do more than Apple's Personal Diagnostics software and other Apple Service programs?
  7. Can you offer unassembled and assembled?
Most 68k macs but maybe more than original. Our plans right now are to just do a simple clone and we aren’t sure yet what it’ll look like, we are trying to use modern replacements for parts as most are very standard. We don’t know total cost yet and it does do more than apple diagnostics it tests more. We are still figuring things out so stay tuned. Most of these questions we are still trying to figure out.

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
We have now reached the first major milestone!
This:
IMG_2198.jpg

Now it might not look like much but this techstep now has none of the original programmed parts installed. The main micro and all 3 PAL's have been replaced verifying that all the dumps are good!
IMG_2199.jpg

Work can now properly start on stage 2 :)

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
Time for a little update:
The logicboard has been stripped and scanned and I am currently working on tracing the outer layers
24-07-22.JPG

This is only going to be a aide for generating a schematic though, the board is a 6 layer one so simply tracing it in sprint isn't going to be possible (And even if it was we are going to be completely redesigning the board into a different for factor as well as onboarding the port pack and ROM's so a schematic is needed anyway!)

Progress is slow, but we are getting there! :)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I look forward to the day when I can get a recreated TechStep! :)

Saw an auction for a TechStep in Oklahoma that included the bag, cables, and two modules. However, I declined since the listing didn't say it turned on. I think it sold for about $120. That site required a buyer premium of 15% plus shipping costs. Ugh. eBay charges the seller fees, so HiBid charges the buyers. Interesting.

I'd grab it if I see TechStep selling for sub $200. I am hoping the recreated TechStep will be minimal. Even purchasing an assembled unit with an STL file posted online will do fine as I can 3D print the case.

jwg1962

New Tinkerer
May 19, 2022
I just looked and there are four Techsteps on eBay at the moment and they are all over $3000. The guy who has the prototype has been listing it for over 3K for two years now. Everyone else saw his and decided to list theirs over 3K too. If they get that price, I’m selling all three of mine. Lol

max1zzz

Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
And a little update (As I realise I haven't posted a update here on the hardware for a while...)
Logicboard has now been fully reverse engineered to a schematic and we have found compatible replacements for the LCD module, currently working on prototyping the switchable ROM "pack" and a couple of other bits. Once this is done there is just the port pack to trace out (pretty simple so shouldn't take long) and then i'll start joining up all the designs into a single logicboard for the repro

jwg1962

New Tinkerer
May 19, 2022
Can’t wait. I have two originals, but I’ll buy a new one too. Just out of curiosity will the LCD panel you found fit the old ones? One of mine has a bad lcd panel and I thought I found the right one, but it doesn’t quite work.