Restoration: Water-Damaged Apple IIe

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Several years ago, a friend gave me a pile of vintage Apple stuff! It all been stored in a basement that flooded at some point, and most of it had water damage. None of it seemed to be submerged, but it must have been submerged long enough for very significant rust to occur. The Macintosh SE in particular as flooded halfway up the power supply (and I documented my restoration efforts for it).

IMG_0310.jpg

I'm moving soon, and need to knock out a few restoration projects before I go, so I decided to tackle the pair of Apple IIe machines.

IMG_6216.jpg

At first glance, they look okay, but looking underneath the IIe on the left is a bit scary.

IMG_6218.jpg

Inside is even worse.

IMG_6219.jpg

This machine is just awful. I suspect that the entire bottom sheet is rusty. The switches on the left side of the keyboard are probably destroyed, and the power supply could be too. Every time I move this machine, it dumps rust everywhere. But then again, so did the Macintosh SE...

I decided to put this one aside, and focus on the other Apple IIe. It had a similar line of rust from partial submersion, but didn't seem as bad.

IMG_6229.jpg

Looking inside confirmed that it was in better shape.

IMG_6224.jpg

Given the likelihood of this machine living again, I decided to focus on it first.

IMG_6226.jpg

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
First, I removed the screws from the bottom and popped the case off. I've never taken apart an Apple II, so I figured it out as I went. You can clearly see where the water level was - thank goodness it didn't touch the power supply.

IMG_6302.jpg

Next, I removed the power supply.

IMG_6304.jpg

I bought a $5 wire wheel for my drill at the hardware store, so I could knock all of the rust off.

IMG_6305.jpg

There was some rust on the power supply...

IMG_6306.jpg

The wire wheel made quick work of that.

IMG_6307.jpg

With the majority of the rust removed, I found some paint in the garage to cover the bare metal with. I think this is the same stuff I used to paint the chassis on the flooded Macintosh SE.

IMG_6312.jpg

I had to wire-wheel the bottom as well, as the rust got underneath whatever the coating is. I wire-brushed as little as possible, and masked it for paint.

I would love to find out what this coating is and "do it right"... but I'm pressed for time, and just want to keep it from rusting again. I can always come back and fix this later.

IMG_6313.jpg

Here it is with some paint!

IMG_6315.jpg

Next, I decided to clean up the logic board. I cleaned it under tap water with Dawn dishwasher detergent and a toothbrush. After cleaning, I took it directly to the air compressor and blasted all of the water out of every nook and cranny to be sure not water deposits would be left.

IMG_6308.jpg

Finally, I could start putting things back together! It would have been nice to paint the entire inside, but for now, I'm just doing the bare minimum to get it functional.

IMG_6323.jpg

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Cool, I’m going to follow this thread while I work on my Apple //e. Mine has rusty screws although the chassis, PSU, and logic board appear fine.

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Next, I decided to tackle the keyboard. I pulled all of the keys off, and found this mess.

IMG_6320.jpg

I used an old paintbrush to knock the dirt loose, and vacuumed everything up.

IMG_6321.jpg

I didn't get a photo of the results, but I did mask off part of the keyboard and hit the rust with the wire wheel. It's all shiny now.

IMG_6322.jpg

After cleaning up the keys with Windex and re-installing them, it was finally time to test the machine! But first, I checked the power supply voltages, and everything looked pretty good.

I grabbed my trusty Sony PVM-8045Q, plugged everything in, and flipped the power switch...

IMG_6328.jpg

The good news is that there was no RIFA cap smoke! The bad news is that I only got a couple of corrupted characters on screen.

IMG_6326.jpg

When I tried holding down Option + Open Apple while power cycling it to run the self-test, and got this mess:

IMG_6332.jpg

The only obvious variable that I could see was the 80 column card in the expansion slot (there are two other expansion cards that I left uninstalled, for now):

IMG_6327.jpg

I pulled out the 80 column card, and tested it again:

IMG_6329.jpg

Success! I did try the 80-column card from the other IIe, and got the exact same results. If anyone has insight to offer on this issue, I'd love to hear it!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Did the water go under the bottom of the motherboard? Are any lines compromised running to and from that aux slot where the 80-column card is? Maybe reflow?

Are those resistors okay?

1681847882501.png

Last edited:
Reactions: PotatoFi

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
That 80 column card only has a few chips on it, can't be that difficult to figure out what's amiss with it. Does it have any RAM/VRAM on board? That would be my first suspect.

Yes, four 16K RAM chips for the 80-column buffering. The underside of the motherboard first?

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
I'd say resistors are okay just need some cleaning. Is this a few trace breaks?
Screenshot 2023-04-18 at 10.01.24 PM.png

Aside from that I'd say this could potentially be causing you some issues. I have linked the iie schematics HERE and they should help if not I suppose it could be a bad LS chip or something custom like a ROM, the last of which is worst case scenario.