The macOS 9.2.2 iBook G4 and PowerBook G4! šŸ˜

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I picked up an iBook G4 12" in great condition at 1.07 GHz, and the RAM maxed out to 1.25 GB. Yay! :D :cool:

Now, I will get the 30 GB IDE ATA/100 HDD swapped out to the 128 GB SSD. This is what I am thinking:

I would like to chime in. I have read a few accounts that it has worked, so I was wondering if anyone here on TinkerDifferent has done this already?

Last edited:
Reactions: jajan547

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I actually just got your iBook's sibling/cousin/close friend, a PowerBook G4 12" 867MHz, and in fact just ordered the same PATA-mSATA enclosure! I assume I was out of luck for OS 9, but it sounds like it *might* work with a Mac OS 9 Lives image. So I'll see if I can get mine to work too!

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Cool, @rjkucia! I found this journal by someone else a few years back while upgrading to the SSD, which led me to go that route for my iBook:

As for macOS 9.2.2, which PowerBook G4 do you have? Titanium or Aluminum? The Titanium (A1025) should be able to use this one to have a modified System Folder:

According to this site below, the PowerBook G4 models with the identifiers of [5,1], [5,2], [5,3], [5,4] are the best.

Reactions: rjkucia

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Yeah, the HDD replacement looks like a huge pain in the ass, but still easier than a lot of PCs of that era still lol. Hopefully your iBook is somewhat easier.

The 12" only came in Aluminum, and does not support 9 natively. Apparently it was the first model to drop Mac OS 9 support entirely. According to this, I should be able to hack it to work, I'll just be missing WiFi and graphics acceleration.

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Yeah, I clicked through to the forum post hosting the image and I think those issues might have been fixed in a newer release, but the internal speakers might not work. In any case, I'm excited to try OS 9 on this - should be extremely fast!

Also, I looked up what it takes to replace the iBook's HDD, and it looks like it's arguably even more difficult than the PowerBook. Sorry, lol

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Yeah, the HDD replacement looks like a huge pain in the ass, but still easier than a lot of PCs of that era still lol. Hopefully your iBook is somewhat easier.
Iā€™d have to disagree with you there - every single PC laptop from that time has some sort of cover on the bottom of the side that only takes a few screws to open, with the hard drive right inside. The G4 iBook on the other hand is a monumental process that Iā€™ve unfortunately had to do before to upgrade my own to an SSD. Definitely more difficult.

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
Just finished the job last night! As expected, a huge pain in the ass, haha.

Iā€™d have to disagree with you there - every single PC laptop from that time has some sort of cover on the bottom of the side that only takes a few screws to open, with the hard drive right inside. The G4 iBook on the other hand is a monumental process that Iā€™ve unfortunately had to do before to upgrade my own to an SSD. Definitely more difficult.
Yeah looking back at that comment I'm not sure what I had in mind, since thinking about it now I haven't actually worked on too many laptops from the early '00s. Most laptops definitely have easier ways to get to the hard drive, but still I don't think it's the worst I've ever worked on. At least there weren't any delicate ZIF connectors that break if you look at them wrong, or daughterboards with poor tolerances that you have to jam in just right!

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
By the way, anyone have a recommendation for how to set up the partitions? I started off partitioning my 256GB drive with just 20GB or so for OS 9 and leaving the rest blank. My plan was then to add another partition and use Target Disk Mode to then restore the old HDD to the new drive. However, in Disk Utility (on High Sierra) I don't see a way to create new partitions without erasing the whole drive. Should I have set up all my partitions at the start? Or something else?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I'd split it in half. I stick with a 128 GB SSD and have partitions of 64 GB for OS X and 64 GB for OS 9. Plenty. If I need more storage, I will get an external device via FW400. :)

In your case, @rjkucia, with a 256 GB SSD, 128 GB even partitions will be acceptable. Remember that macOS 9 has a usable and addressable limit of 190 GB for storage media. I read somewhere else that it was 200 GB. Hmmm.

You can reduce the partitions if you wish for either side. Keep in mind to give enough space for having fun with macOS 9 and enough room for OS X to breathe.

As for the methodology, I am wondering as well. I thought about doing it in target mode. Then, I wondered if it might be easier to burn a bootable OS X Tiger CD and work from there to set up the SSD and install OS X Tiger on one partition. Then, boot from a burned unsupported G4 MacOS 9 CD to install on the other partition.

Last edited:

rjkucia

Tinkerer
Dec 21, 2021
Madison, Wisconsin, USA
I'm actually planning on 3 partitions - OS 9, Tiger, and Sorbet Leopard - but I was mostly wondering about HFS+/Apple Partition Map's capability of modifying partition tables without completely erasing the disk. For example, if later on I decide I want to install some flavor of Linux later on on a 4th partition, what's the best way I can prepare for that now so I don't have to wipe the disk at that point?

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I'm actually planning on 3 partitions - OS 9, Tiger, and Sorbet Leopard - but I was mostly wondering about HFS+/Apple Partition Map's capability of modifying partition tables without completely erasing the disk. For example, if later on I decide I want to install some flavor of Linux later on on a 4th partition, what's the best way I can prepare for that now so I don't have to wipe the disk at that point?

Yeah, apparently if there are macOS 9 drivers, changing and resizing partitions have not been possible yet. I noticed some discussion about that over at Mac Rumors.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Today, I got my 12" iBook G4! :) Now here is the introduction...*drum roll*

giphy-downsized-large.gif