Tunnel vision on PB170

Oct 15, 2021
So folks are (lightly) baking their LCDs to get rid of tunnel vision?
1642900504838.png

Reactions: KingDingus

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I just watched a youtube video about this

about 9 mins in. he says a proposed fix from yet a different video was to tighten the screen up against the pcb as a real fix for this.

NARRATOR: it wasn't

So i guess we are back to the fix it for a little while bake method.

wonder how hard is it to source new LCDs ?

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Reactions: champagneandchips

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021

Ooh interesting. Nice find, and great site! So, this is one the three versions of passive matrix displays available for earlier 1xx Powerbooks, and requires a specific display cable and inverter board. It's a little different from the typical display:

IMG_1072.jpg

IMG_1073.jpg

But afaik it should work in a 170 with those other components. (This image is of the display from one of my 145's.... clearly it has some damage to the LCD itself... I may take you up on your offer haha...)

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
They're a reputable seller, I've bought case parts for my 6100 from them before.

If I can have a part number for the panel, I'll do some more digging.

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Yep - at least for my 145... there are some other parts on that site that I would also like to nab... :)

Still need to find a source for active matrix b/w or greyscale displays for the 170 and 180 though, as these are the ones that suffer from tunnel vision.

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
Hi everyone!
My name is Johann and I made the video linked earlier in the thread.
I’ve made another video where I try baking the LCD panel and have achieved great results. Not 100% better but close. I suspect more baking will yield better results. Short of buying a new panel this is the only working fix I’ve managed to find.
Hope some will find it helpful.

Fixing the Powerbook 170 LCD Screen - Tunnel Vision Issue - Plus Bonus Unboxing!

Last edited:

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Hi everyone!
My name is Johann and I made the video linked earlier in the thread.
I’ve made another video where I try baking the LCD panel and have achieved great results. Not 100% better but close. I suspect more baking will yield better results. Short of buying a new panel this is the only working fix I’ve managed to find.
Hope some will find it helpful.

Fixing the Powerbook 170 LCD Screen - Tunnel Vision Issue - Plus Bonus Unboxing! https://youtu.be/5XH5r5dlG2A
Great video, but please sort out the link :)

Reactions: TheBasement

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Nice work, and excellent video! Quick note of clarification: tunnelling only affects ACTIVE matrix display, so only the 170 and 180. The other Powerbooks are unaffected (I just noticed you mention the other PB's in your show notes).

Well done sir!

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Excellent video, thanks!
I managed to recover my Pb 170 by vacuum bagging it along with silica pouches for a long, long time (I mean: months).
When I got the unit, the (severe) tunnel effect was appearing after just a few minutes. Nowadays I get bored at pretending I have to do something with the PowerBook before it starts darkening again and just along the very periphery, similarly to what shown in the video.
Say, a non invasive method for the very patient ones…