Tunnel vision on PB170

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
For the question of disassembly - the 100 series PowerBooks are very easy to take apart if you know how to do it right. The biggest worries are the display hinge standoffs failing when you unscrew them, in which case getting the display apart can suddenly get tough. Besides that though, I really haven't had any issues.
How would I best go about removing the screen if the screw posts do happen to break off.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Hey so my powerbook 170 just arrived today, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny if super glue will work on broken plastics.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Hey so my powerbook 170 just arrived today, and I was wondering if anyone could confirm or deny if super glue will work on broken plastics.
I just fixed the stand offs with superglue (I've found LocTite to be the best) in my 170 - time will tell how well they hold.

@Stephen shared an interesting video the other day I'll try next time I fix a standoff - use cotton to help keep the glue in place and provide some structure

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Plastics epoxy is better suited. Regular superglue will do a bad job. Reinforced superglue (like the video above) would probably work a little better, but I'd just use plastics epoxy or JB weld. If it's powerbook standoffs though, I'd STRONGLY recommend you just 3D print new ones.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
I'd say it really depends on the the extent of the damage / brittleness of the plastic, and the location. At one extreme, I've reinforced cracked boss mounts with super glue and so far so good. But at the other I've had to progressively scale up repairs on display hinge mounts over time as those ones in particular get a LOT of stress - all the way from super glue at first, then plastics epoxy, then JB Weld, then finally complete replacement with the 3D printed solution (which so far is working wonderfully).

Fizzbinn

Tinkerer
Nov 29, 2021
Charlottesville, VA
I just fixed the stand offs with superglue (I've found LocTite to be the best) in my 170 - time will tell how well they hold.

@Stephen shared an interesting video the other day I'll try next time I fix a standoff - use cotton to help keep the glue in place and provide some structure

This stuff is my favorite super glue specifically meant for plastics:

SureHold Plastic Surgery® Super Glue

Where possible I also like to reinforce with epoxy (JB Weld).

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I've personally found that anything other than epoxy or JB Weld does not hold if put under stress.
I use a product called Plastruct Plastic Weld on my systems, and it works fine in places that aren't under stress. If a mount for the LCD, or a part inside breaks, I'll use it. I've found it doesn't work well at all on hinge mounts though, due to the stress. Same with superglue. I have not personally tested with reinforcing material though, as described by Eric above.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Thank you all for your help, I have ended up using a combination of plastic welding, super glue and baking soda, and straight super glue to fix the broken broken parts, and replace any bits that were missing.

My next question is about what type of procedure and setup is best used for the LCD baking session?

Like should I preheat the glass in the oven while the oven is warming up?

Or do I put the glass in once the oven is at 100⁰C? (I just feel that that would be a great way to cause thermal stresses possibly leading to the glass LCD shattering.)

Should I be using a convection oven with the fan on or off?

Should I suspend the panel using wire?

Or should I put it on something like chopsticks?

Or just on a tray?

Or straight on the grate?

Should I but weight on the panel?

Or should I avoid putting something on top of the screen?

Is having the temperature a little bit above 100⁰C, like at 110⁰C or 120⁰C have any negative effects?

Would going an extra hour be OK, so instead of 5hrs I do 6hrs? (I am asking these last two things because I am just not wanting to mess this up and if I make a mistake I don't want everything to be completely ruined.)

Are there any nasty fumes produced?

Lastly, how do I get the screen ribbon cable out of the LCD case?

Please try to answer as soon as you can with all the details that you can. Thank you in advanced.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Mine has been working now for about 8 months since I baked it (4-5 hours at 100 celsius) and I have been leaving it on for up to 8 hours and no ill effects. The baking left no traces of the old tunnel vision.

The attached pictures shows the before...

View attachment 11128

The after is just a normal picture and you can check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SPUCgOwE0
Could you please give me the details on what your setup was for the baking session to be successful? I have listed the details that I am looking for in my previous comment. I would like to know this information as soon as possible because I don't want to risk breaking the panel, and I am needing to get it sorted out soon. I look forward to hearing back from you or anyone else who has had the same level of success as you.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
@TheBasement may be able to chime in on this - in his video, it was set to 85*c iirc so that everything remained under boiling point. It looked like it was placed on a tray, in the oven rather than on the shelf bare.

When i've baked GPU's before, i used to suspend them on the tray using rolled up balls of aluminium foil, to allow the air/heat to circulate underneath as well.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
@TheBasement may be able to chime in on this - in his video, it was set to 85*c iirc so that everything remained under boiling point. It looked like it was placed on a tray, in the oven rather than on the shelf bare.

When i've baked GPU's before, i used to suspend them on the tray using rolled up balls of aluminium foil, to allow the air/heat to circulate underneath as well.
Ok thank you. In regards to the LCD though, should I also add some weight on top or does it not need it?

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023

I also have a few other details that I would like answered if possible before I go for it and start baking up some yummy LCD. 😋

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Can someone please get back to me asap, it is kinda urgent that this is sorted out.

This is where I am currently at with the powerbook 170.
20231112_142328.jpg

The speaker is also squealing like crazy, along with the power button not working. I am not sure what is going on, and how I can fix it?
Can someone please help me out? As I has stated before this is quite urgent.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Hey @Cyclone740 - I appreciate that when things go sideways it feels urgent, but always remember that there is no real urgency. This is a hobby after all, playing with old things... nothing is really at stake. In fact, you're more likely to cause *more* problems if you try to repair something with a sense of urgency; that's when things get broken or - especially if you're working around high voltages - you can get hurt. You may find it helpful in these moments to unplug everything and go do something else for a while. The Powerbook will still be there later.

The symptoms shown and described suggest to me a bad connection through the interconnect board - so just ensure that everything is connected properly. However, it looks like in the photo your display cable is ripped - are you able to verify?

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Hey @Cyclone740 - I appreciate that when things go sideways it feels urgent, but always remember that there is no real urgency. This is a hobby after all, playing with old things... nothing is really at stake. In fact, you're more likely to cause *more* problems if you try to repair something with a sense of urgency; that's when things get broken or - especially if you're working around high voltages - you can get hurt. You may find it helpful in these moments to unplug everything and go do something else for a while. The Powerbook will still be there later.

The symptoms shown and described suggest to me a bad connection through the interconnect board - so just ensure that everything is connected properly. However, it looks like in the photo your display cable is ripped - are you able to verify?
Hi thanks for the response, the reason for why it is urgent is that my parents have given me a time frame in which I am to do what I can to it, otherwise I have to pass it on. That is why there is a sense of urgency. Normally yes I would take a break from these things and everything like that, but this time i do have a bit of pressure on me.

Regarding the cable, I can confirm that the cable is intact. Could I ask in the resistor that is on the ribbon cable next to the battery could have something to do with this? Or what other causes for this there might be? The photo only shows the best case scenario right now, because it very rarely gets to this point. Normally either the backlight is the only thing that comes on, or nothing happens at all, also the power button doesn't work at all, even though it is functional.

Daniel Hansen

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Hi thanks for the response, the reason for why it is urgent is that my parents have given me a time frame in which I am to do what I can to it, otherwise I have to pass it on. That is why there is a sense of urgency. Normally yes I would take a break from these things and everything like that, but this time i do have a bit of pressure on me.

Regarding the cable, I can confirm that the cable is intact. Could I ask in the resistor that is on the ribbon cable next to the battery could have something to do with this? Or what other causes for this there might be? The photo only shows the best case scenario right now, because it very rarely gets to this point. Normally either the backlight is the only thing that comes on, or nothing happens at all, also the power button doesn't work at all, even though it is functional.
I see. Those are unusual, interesting circumstances. The ribbon cable / resistor is actually a thermistor, and usually isn't an issue. Let's move this over to the other thread: https://tinkerdifferent.com/threads/urgent-help-needed-for-my-powerbook-170.3088/

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyclone740

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
Thanks for that I had a feeling that they would be brittle, but I was just hoping that they weren't so brittle that I would easily just put my fingers through it when I go to pick it up (like a toshiba satellite that I had/have). How hard would you say it is to disassemble it in order to clean the mother board and repair the screen?

I was also wanting to know if there was a particular setup that I should use for the baking process? Like would a standard convection oven be OK to use or do I need to use an air fryer? Also should I be suspending the LCD in the air or what should I do? I remember reading on here that someone (can't remember who exactly) used chopsticks, but I am just worried that the wood will burn. Would a mesh-like oven tray work better, or would the hot metal damage the screen? Next, how do i remove the electronics leaving only the glass? Lastly, should I preheat the LCD and slowly cool it down after the 5hrs or so mark, to prevent cracking and thermal stresses? Or is that not a worry?

Thank you so much in advanced, I am really hoping to get as much help and advice as I possibly can.

I also just had a thought, would sealing the LCD glass with something like nail polish or something else be worth while trying straight after the baking process? Or is it something that has already been fund to be ineffective at resealing the glass?
I would say at this point if you do any work on any 100 series laptop you should be prepared to repair broken plastics. Not sure about super glue/baking soda but I used a construction epoxy adhesive with great results.
As for the baking, just remove the glass panel LCD sandwich, pop it on an oven tray (use silicon if you’re worried about the metal), and keep the oven below 100°C.
I cover all this in my video if you’re interested, the link is earlier in this thread.

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
I would say at this point if you do any work on any 100 series laptop you should be prepared to repair broken plastics. Not sure about super glue/baking soda but I used a construction epoxy adhesive with great results.
As for the baking, just remove the glass panel LCD sandwich, pop it on an oven tray (use silicon if you’re worried about the metal), and keep the oven below 100°C.
I cover all this in my video if you’re interested, the link is earlier in this thread.
Ok thank you.