What are your vintage grail items?

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
About Yahoo auction. I don't think you see Tinker members from Japan other than me or James, but it's not just that they don't understand English or are shy. There are overwhelmingly few vintage Mac users. I use Yahoo auctions a lot, but most of the winning bids are from Byeee.
At that time, millions of people were users. However, I think that there are probably about 50 people actually active.
I talked to Bill Martens of Call APPLE, and he said the same thing.

Reactions: Paolo B and JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
...most of the winning bids are from Buyee.
If everyone outside Japan stopped buying on Buyee, Yahoo Auction prices might be lower!

But thank you, Kay, for all your help. You kindly gave me the advice to buy that 575 & 630. I really appreciate it! You also gave me a lot of advice on the Stereo mod, and I am looking forward to doing that after the SE Reloaded series is done, and after the BlueSCSI video is done. So many videos to do! So little time! 😅

Reactions: Kay K.M.Mods

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
  • Haha
Reactions: Alf Torp

Alf Torp

Tinkerer
Reactions: JDW

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Anyhow, over almost 25 years of “activity” I have managed to get (or should I say amass?) *almost* all the machines I dreamt of when I was… 25 years younger.
But for keeping the flame alive, any collection worth its name shall never be completed. So is mine.
My preference always went to the “barn find” like kind of acquisition, rather than brute force bidding.
I now cherry pick restoration projects, I like fixing things and learning in the process.

As for the wishlist, I would really like to have a complete, boxed version of Think Pascal.

Reactions: trag and JDW

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
> Great Investment
it will be for the seller if anybody buys it at that price.

I don't think I have any macs left i really REALLY want. I would like the network server. but i think it might be just too big.

I'm kinda interested in the Acorn Archimedes or the 68k based sun machines.
basically the more weird computers at least to me. RS/6000 might be interesting also....

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
It's funny this thread just got bumped, because I've realised lately that I don't have any grails anymore. I think I've owned or at least worked on every machine I've always dreamt about :(
Likewise. I've owned pretty much everything I ever dreamed of owning when I was younger. Settled on a SE dual FDHD (er, SuperDrive) for my 68000 desires, a IIci for my '030 needs, a Centris 650 (that will eventually become a Quadra 650 once a resistor is removed and a different resistor is added) for '040, and my G3 for PPC. For Apple II series stuff, probably going to grab another IIgs to replace my old //e with.

Reactions: DeChief

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
Been away for a while but this item seems to still be available. Thank you. However it's about 2200 dollars. I don't want it that much. At least not this year. Maybe later...

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Hoooly smokes! I might have to settle for buying one in pieces and assembling it myself... :D
I've never thought much of the TAM, screen real estate's pathetic/3400c PB tiny for a desktop machine. Some frog design concepts and TAM design studies really rock though. Building an improved PseudoTAM is on my wish list, if not a Grail level gottagedone kinda thing.

Last edited:

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
the TAM is kinda neat to sit it next to a modern iMac and see the influences. You can see jony ive was trying to go for with the TAM but couldn't get there fully.

but yeah its pretty underpowered. it came out right next to the G3s. but was no where near that performance while costs many times what the contemporary G3's cost.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
TAM was desk candy as was that silly little Cube, meant more for for reception desktops at .com, so called professional offices and at the fashionista 57th St. hair salon where my brother was a colorist in that day. They were aimed at those into GeekChic decor in the jIvesian mold and fairly useful in Cube form, how'd that work out as a marketing ploy? TAM was a run of the mill consumer machine gussied up as an instant collectible, aimed at wealthy wannabes. Didn't work at all.

As such they make very desirable collectibles, definitely grailworthy for many, if not for me, I was putting some spin on the build my own from parts approach mentioned by @Alf Torp

TAM today with a good VidCard doing 1920x1200 on a KVM sidled up to a daily driver multiscreen setup would be very interesting. Not sure about an iMac though, you'd need two or three screens of various sizes in addition to the TAM for it to look right to me.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I've gotten most on my list: SE/30, Cube, TAM, Color Classic (with Mystic), Performa 6400 running BeOS (obscure one), NeXT Station, iBook (still would like a lime green one), Apple IIc+, the Apple 17" Studio CRT, Flower Power iMac g3.

The remaining items I have on my list are a NeXT Cube (unlikely due to crazy prices at this point), a Macintosh TV (always loved the black look), a trash can Powermac (waiting to the prices to drop through the floor), and a PowerCD (another weird one, but remember wanting on as a kid).

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
>NeXT Cube (unlikely due to crazy prices at this point)
same. but it would be neat if one just happens to show up at a price point i'm willing to pay for....

I found a PowerCD on craigslist once. i wish i jumped on it. oh well..... maybe another one will show up again in the future.

Reactions: wottle

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I just want my first computer back. PowerMac 6100/66 DOS-Compatible (with the Houdini II DOS card). I had everything...the funky monitor cable, maxed RAM, all the manuals... I gave it away around 2006 when I needed space. I don't know why...surely I could have tucked that pizza-box away somewhere :(

• Sad
Reactions: wottle

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I just want my first computer back. PowerMac 6100/66 DOS-Compatible (with the Houdini II DOS card). I had everything...the funky monitor cable, maxed RAM, all the manuals... I gave it away around 2006 when I needed space. I don't know why...surely I could have tucked that pizza-box away somewhere :(
I feel like everybody has a "the one that got away"

for me there is a few.
OG Mac 128k (pre fat mac release) my dad threw away. he REALLY REALLY regrets it.
imac 333MHz. i traded it for a monitor + cash. never got the cash. so in the end it was just a crt monitor. 🤦‍♂️
Powerbook 190. that one i don't know what i did with.

which is to say. its a feeling i think most can relate to.