What are your vintage grail items?

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I've gotten most on my list: SE/30, Cube, TAM, Color Classic (with Mystic), Performa 6400 running BeOS (obscure one), NeXT Station, iBook (still would like a lime green one), Apple IIc+, the Apple 17" Studio CRT, Flower Power iMac g3.

The remaining items I have on my list are a NeXT Cube (unlikely due to crazy prices at this point), a Macintosh TV (always loved the black look), a trash can Powermac (waiting to the prices to drop through the floor), and a PowerCD (another weird one, but remember wanting on as a kid).
Recently picked up a Macintosh TV. Sold as non-working, with no mouse and no ADB cable for the keyboard. I paid more than I'd like, but took a chance it could be salvaged. Got it today and cleaned it up a bit, checked for anything terrible on the logic board, and fired it up. It turned on, with a dead hard drive (to be expected), and the screen has a yellow hue. But overall, it seems to be working well. A few gentle bumps and the yellow hue went away (cracked solder joints on the analog board, anyone?). Threw a BlueSCSI on the back with 7.5 and It was running great. Now on to hunting for a black ADB mouse and the PowerCD!

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
i've seen people use a NeXT mouse. they might be easier to find ?!?
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I have a NeXT mouse with my NeXT Station, but I believe it is the non-ADB kind. I may see about picking one up. Side benefit: I can use it with my NeXT Cube I will one day acquire!

Reactions: Patrick

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
I feel like everybody has a "the one that got away"

for me there is a few.
OG Mac 128k (pre fat mac release) my dad threw away. he REALLY REALLY regrets it.
imac 333MHz. i traded it for a monitor + cash. never got the cash. so in the end it was just a crt monitor. 🤦‍♂️
Powerbook 190. that one i don't know what i did with.

which is to say. its a feeling i think most can relate to.
For me, probably the IIgs upgrade kit machine I sold for $150 in 1995. Even though I wasn't using it much anymore. If I had the storage space, I probably would've stored it away and brought it with me when we moved from our previous house to our current house.

Last edited:
Reactions: wottle

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Recently picked up a Macintosh TV. Sold as non-working, with no mouse and no ADB cable for the keyboard. I paid more than I'd like, but took a chance it could be salvaged. Got it today and cleaned it up a bit, checked for anything terrible on the logic board, and fired it up. It turned on, with a dead hard drive (to be expected), and the screen has a yellow hue. But overall, it seems to be working well. A few gentle bumps and the yellow hue went away (cracked solder joints on the analog board, anyone?). Threw a BlueSCSI on the back with 7.5 and It was running great. Now on to hunting for a black ADB mouse and the PowerCD!
Recap, recap recap! You've got it working now, but if you don't change the caps it won't be for long! I'm assuming you've also removed the battery of course.

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Recap, recap recap! You've got it working now, but if you don't change the caps it won't be for long! I'm assuming you've also removed the battery of course.
Yes, removed the battery first thing. I'll be recapping the logic board shortly. And then the analog board. Given the yellow tint on the monitor, I'll probably be re-flowing many of the solder joints on the analog board.

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I agree with this guy

4zxd9ag6vic91.jpg

ScutBoy

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Northfield, MN USA
Interesting, I hadn't thought of that. I have a NeXT mouse with my NeXT Station, but I believe it is the non-ADB kind. I may see about picking one up. Side benefit: I can use it with my NeXT Cube I will one day acquire!
The NeXT mouse that came with the Cubes and the early slabs are not ADB. The ADB mice are distinct - round with the two buttons "sticking out" of the top...

The ADB NeXT mouse won't work with the Cube. Maybe(?) with a Turbo Cube if you could find one; I don't know if those supported ADB like the later turbo slabs did...

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
I don't even know if ADB NeXT mice are easier to find then the mac Black mice. I've just seen pictures where people were using a NeXT mouse with their black Macs.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
To me, the holy grail would be a single chip with everything in there that eliminates the need for even a pico-sized board, caps, etc. BBU was a great example of shrinking several things in one chip. How about a logic board in a chip? No connectors. Just wireless connections and wireless power. Plus, an FPGA is already there, so it could emulate anything already core available to put in the ROM section (extremely tiny ROM) on the chip.

iGcvG3pL-Gwl.gif

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I just want my first computer back. PowerMac 6100/66 DOS-Compatible (with the Houdini II DOS card). I had everything...the funky monitor cable, maxed RAM, all the manuals... I gave it away around 2006 when I needed space. I don't know why...surely I could have tucked that pizza-box away somewhere :(

Looky what I got :)

PXL_20220728_203524196.jpg PXL_20220728_203512934.jpg PXL_20220729_130719255.jpg

Chimes and boots OS8 off of the installed HD, and PSU outputs correct voltages...just dusty and a little yellowed. Logic board looks pristine with no signs of leaky caps or other corrosion. I'm still going to recap the PSU and logic board and just do a full resto on this thing.

Oh ya, and about that PITA-to-find octopus cable for the DOS card...Fedex is delivering that today...with a second DOS card :p

wottle

Active Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Looky what I got :)

View attachment 7146 View attachment 7147 View attachment 7148

Chimes and boots OS8 off of the installed HD, and PSU outputs correct voltages...just dusty and a little yellowed. Logic board looks pristine with no signs of leaky caps or other corrosion. I'm still going to recap the PSU and logic board and just do a full resto on this thing.

Oh ya, and about that PITA-to-find octopus cable for the DOS card...Fedex is delivering that today...with a second DOS card :p
Love the DOS Compatible label on the front! I ran into problems getting my DOS card to work, and I reseated the CPU and it was working great again. Glad you were able to track one down.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@wottle, this black Apple Standard Keyboard and Apple Desktop Bus mouse will match better. :D(y) If you want an Apple Extended Keyboard II, please let me know. I will produce it in black, too. :)

1660115161597.png
1660115192592.png