The Netherlands
pin.it
ED4CDA27-1453-4796-89A6-EA4E98BA49FC.jpeg

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Just to say thanks for uploading this! I've used it to replace a noisy squirrel cage and it's a lot quieter now.

@NickB that is awesome! :)(y) Can you take more pictures, like the front, back, and another side of the fan, for more perspectives of the updated design of the @alxlab fan bracket?

I did have to make a small hole in the mount to get through to the original fan's power lines.

Oh. Can you take a picture? That will help @alxlab and us understand. Maybe @alxlab could adjust the design to allow looping in the wiring so the folks who print and install this fan bracket would not have to drill a hole through the bracket?

Cheers!

Last edited:

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Just to say thanks for uploading this! I've used it to replace a noisy squirrel cage and it's a lot quieter now.

I did have to make a small hole in the mount to get through to the original fan's power lines.
View attachment 6536

Why did you have to make a hole? I just ran the original wires on top of the bracket like Apple did for the original squirrel cage fan and metal fan brackets.

IMG_20220715_122246.jpgIMG_20220715_122340 1.jpg

Last edited:

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Even Apple stated in owner's manuals that Macs must be at comfortable temperatures like ours.

I think they meant the Mac should be operated in ambient conditions that are comfortable to people, not that no component inside should exceed room temperature or human body temperature.

Look up the operating temperatures for just about any component inside. They're designed to run much hotter than room temperature.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I think they meant the Mac should be operated in ambient conditions that are comfortable to people, not that no component inside should exceed room temperature or human body temperature.

Look up the operating temperatures for just about any component inside. They're designed to run much hotter than room temperature.

Earlier in another thread, I posted a spreadsheet of compact Mac operating temperatures that I gathered from Apple.

1657296123668-png.6315

Yes, the components were designed for higher internal temperatures. When the ambient temperature outside rises, the internals is affected, only that Apple did not implement automatic cooling for the Macs.

There is another problem. High quality and decent components are diminishing. The day will come when "high-quality" components will be much harder to find when suppliers routinely produce "acceptable-quality" components that meet today's standards. Thus, the need for increased cooling.

That is something we could tinker with and come up with nifty cooling solutions that Apple did not come up with back then. The R Pico and other modern chipsets could be easily used to provide automatic internal temperature adjustments to maintain a reasonable range of internal operating temperature than on the high end, especially with older compact Macs.

The third-party solutions back in the day were clunky and frankly unnecessary now that we have better technologies to keep the compact Macs cooler.

Last edited:
Reactions: YMK

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
That is something we could tinker with and come up with nifty cooling solutions that Apple did not come up with back then. The R Pico and other modern chipsets could be easily used to provide automatic internal temperature adjustments to maintain a reasonable range of internal operating temperature than on the high end, especially with older compact Macs.

Sure, also to keep them quiet in cool conditions.

A Pico or even an 8-bit micro are overkill for fan control.

Simple analog circuits can do this quite well and reliably.

• Love
Reactions: retr01

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Liquid cooling could work in a compact Mac case. While this person's Mac SE case did not have the SE stuff as an i7 Mac was put in, liquid cooling was installed. o_O 🌊

I wonder, maybe a smaller liquid cooling kit could be done? :unsure: For example, I saw a computer cooling pump measured at 119.5 x 65 mm (4.70 x 2.56 inches). Would that fit in with the tubes and an additional small fan for liquid cooling?
Liquid cooling is for CPU only in that i7 hack and in any conventional rig, no? He says that the fan that removes heat from the liquid cooling rig in the usual SE position? Looks like that's the only case cooling installed? He says "The exhaust air doesn’t even feel that hot!" THAT hot in relation to what? I'm thinking he's stressing the System with limited cooling, CPU temp sampling's not directly related to system temp.

As noted before, CPU temp's not really an issue in the Compact Bucket

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA

View attachment 6536
Nice! Adapter bolted up to the A/B without a hitch? What fan did you use?

Not surprised at all that a modern fan would be much quieter. Was your OEM fan's noise all that objectionable? Any fan noise at all from an SE would have been objectionable to some users moving from the Plus or Minus Compacts. If some of those had never used a computer designed by engineers with a proper cooling setup, any noise at would make some's skin crawl!

Question would be whether the OEM cooling system as designed was much noisier than the two bladed axial fan conversion of the SE done in 1988.

Hard to tell with computers over 35 years old, the original cross-flow (not squirrel cage) fans have a lot of time on bearings and such. Heck, SE/30 folks are wigged out by their 33 year old axial fan's decibel levels. ;)

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Yeah, it's not the CPU. It's the heat radiating from the flyback and PSU, correct?
It's EVERYTHING in the Bucket. Some components throw off more heat, some less and all have varying amounts of heat tolerance. Yep, PSU and A/B components would be the worst offenders for BTU production I'd think? Dunno what the weakest component would be in terms of heat tolerance?

In modern PCs the CPU might as well be a coal burning stove.

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
Getting rid of spinning rust drives is probably the easiest and most effective heat reduction measure.

The SE(/30) PSU PCB can be removed from its case and mounted to the AB with a custom adapter plate for better convection cooling.

• Wow

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Getting rid of spinning rust drives is probably the easiest and most effective heat reduction measure.

The SE(/30) PSU PCB can be removed from its case and mounted to the AB with a custom adapter plate for better convection cooling.

Yeah, good idea. 🤔🤓☝️💡

NickB

New Tinkerer
Jul 15, 2022
Why did you have to make a hole? I just ran the original wires on top of the bracket like Apple did for the original squirrel cage fan and metal fan brackets.
thumbnail_IMG_8899 (1).jpg

I think I must have a different squirrel cage variant. This one has the contacts on the base of the fan - no wires running anywhere.

To be fair I could have run wires over the top to a spare ground/the adjacent resistor! On reflection that would have been easier but I was a bit concerned about having more wires going to random places on the a/b - it's a bit of a rats nest as-is!

retr01 said:
@NickB that is awesome! :)(y) Can you take more pictures, like the front, back, and another side of the fan, for more perspectives of the updated design of the @alxlab fan bracket?

Can get some more photos/measure things if needed!

Trash80toG4 said:
Nice! Adapter bolted up to the A/B without a hitch? What fan did you use?

No issues bolting on the adapter, lined up like a dream! I've got a horizontal neck board and it fits fine. Fan is a Noctua A6x25

Last edited:
Reactions: alxlab