2022 PowerPC Challenge!

wicknix

Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2022
WI, USA
randommacstuff.blogspot.com
You could try the new version (called PowerCord) as DiscordPPC did stop displaying avatars and other icons recently. Same download location. Discord-Lite is nice. Fast. However its still missing the ability to view replies and it gets hard to follow along some times.

powercord-png.1940613

(running on 15" PowerBook G4 1.67)

I'm doing that PowerPC challenge all year! :-D ... seriously, my Power Mac G4 MDD is my daily driver at home. I delegate the required "modern stuff" (online banking etc.) to my smartphone but do everything else with my PowerPC Macs. You can do a surprisingly lot of stuff with them - but you need to know HOW. If you try to replicate what you do on your 2021 M1 Mac, you will fail. It's different from modern computing in that it requires you to be more creative and potentially step up from being just a consumer to being a creative / maker. Back to the old days :) Not a thought that should trouble any member of Tinker Different though :)

To give you some examples what I do:
  • For instant messaging I do use the Macintosh Garden IM Gateway.
  • I read all my daily news over on 68k.news.
  • For the occasional Flash game fun I visit reFlash - by the author of Sorbet Leopard btw.
  • Communities I visit and work fine on PowerPC Macs (apart from TD) are the Mac Garden, Mac OS 9 Lives! and system7today.com.
  • Oh, and I occasionally connect to the Captain's QuartersII Mac BBS.
  • For watching / streaming Quicktime movies there is Cornica.org.
  • If I want to watch a YouTube video, I use alexfree's PPC Media Center. (OSX only)
  • I send and receive all my e-mails on my PowerPC Mac thanks to an SSL tunnel.
  • I listen to webradio which I pick from surfmusic. (works lovely on my Power Mac 8600 with System 7.6.1 and SoundJam btw.... listening to web radio while working in PhotoShop 5 is so awesome!).
  • I upload and share all my pics / screenshots via the Mac Garden Image Hosting.
  • If I want to read up something on Wikipedia, I use the search via theoldnet.com.
  • I update and run my own little HTML 3.2 compliant page on cheats & walkthroughs for Mac OS games.
  • I search the web with frogfind or use my personal favorite wiby.org, to find non-commercial personal projects like on the 90s web. (the things you didn't know you wanted to know)
  • All writing / printing stuff is handled by my PowerPC Mac which is hooked up to a 2015 Kyocera printer that prints fine via postscript from even my oldest Macs.
So there IS some kind of a web eco-system for 68k and PowerPC Macs out there. Some call it "web 1.1". I'm sure there's tons of services I forgot to mention or don't even know yet.

So far it has been incredibly fun (I "migrated back" after Apple introduced the T2 security chip) and saved thousands of dollars since then by dropping out of the upgrade cycle :) besides, I'm free and have true Personal Computers that do what I want. Machines are recapped and spare parts put aside for the years to come.

Use it! Spread the word! Enhance it with your own projects! Feel free! Feel like back when computing was fun again :)

Last edited:

z970

New Tinkerer
Nov 19, 2021
@Bolkonskij It's nice to know that at least two people still enjoy reFlash. As you know, I also visit Cornica semi-regularly, and plan to make at least one more contribution compilation to its already expansive video library. :)

Needless to say, I'm very glad sites like ours exist for people like us!

You could try the new version (called PowerCord) as DiscordPPC did stop displaying avatars and other icons recently. Same download location. Discord-Lite is nice. Fast. However its still missing the ability to view replies and it gets hard to follow along some times.

Just installed PowerCord! It's impressive how much full Discord you can fit onto one of these Macs. Unfortunately it's incredibly slow on my 1.8GHz iMac G5, but it's still awesome to see nonetheless.

It's nice to know that at least two people still enjoy reFlash. As you know, I also visit Cornica semi-regularly, and plan to make at least one more contribution compilation to its already expansive video library. :)

Needless to say, I'm very glad sites like ours exist for people like us!
Didn't even know reflash existed until literally right now but I am already so excited to play Super Mario Flash again, I have very fond memories of that one.
Edit: Installed Flash 10.1, but haven't been able to get anything to run - InterWeb blocks any Flash content from playing, and Safari/WebKit don't even render a Flash window, just a solid white page. Gonna try the Flash 10.0 script.

Thanks to both of y'all for helping keep the PowerPC Mac alive! This is my first time really getting familiar with PPC stuff so I'm constantly amazed by how much software support there actually is.

Last edited:

z970

New Tinkerer
Nov 19, 2021
@KODA || Amber / Loveshock InterWebPPC / TenFourFox removed support for plugins a long time ago, and for some strange reason WebKit refuses to display external plugins as well.

I recommend using Safari 5 (not WebKit) for plugin purposes / use with reFlash, which has worked every time in my experience. Just make sure plugins are enabled in the Safari preferences.

Super Mario Flash is definitely one of my favorites as well; that one goes way back, along with a couple of others present. You may be pleased to hear that I am currently wrapping up another update to the site that will debut another extremely popular Flash title of old ... so stay tuned. Moreover, if you'd like to submit a specific request or leave a comment / review, our dedicated User Submissions & Guestbook is always open to visit. :)

And finally, if you like reFlash, post our badge into your site and / or tell all your friends, so even more people can reCline, reKindle, and reJoice! :cool:

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates

powercord-png.1940613

Very nice. I am using it on my 1.33ghz ibook g4 and I think it is a bit snappier than DiscordPPC1.3. Looking at Activity monitor, it definitely enjoys munching on the single cpu (evidenced by text/typing lag), but I bet will be very nice on my multi-cpu/core PowerPC powermacs. I realize reading my past few posts that I sound like a Wicknix fan boy lol but really, What can I say, his apps just work.

Anyhow, I have this up on my NAS so will drop on my other PPC later tonight once I get the youngins to sleep.

Reactions: wicknix

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
I almost feel like I'm cheating a bit. My brother gave me a quad core 2.5GHz G5 that he hadn't really used since it was given to him by another friend a few years ago. I slapped in a hard drive with an OS and a bunch of software on it and the machine fired right up. I have to say it's pretty snappy for a 17-year-old computer. I'm going to dig through some drawers and hope to find some more RAM, as this one only has 2GB.

I had to find a web browser. Since TenFourfox's end, I've been keeping an eye out for something, but hadn't looked recently. I came across InterWebPPC and it's doing a great job. I highly recommend it. MacintoshRepository, greeted me with a message that acknowledged my use of an older system and disabled SSL for my visit. Very cool.

As I sit here typing on my G5, I'm listening to Mac Yak #150 in YouTube in a small window from the Mac Yak website.

I'm treating this machine just like any other Mac I'd use on a regular basis. I have a 2.1 sound system connected to it because of the lousy speaker in the G5. Sounds great now. Aside from the fans that ramped up after I started the YouTube stream. I do have to check the liquid cooling system on this Mac. I'm sure nothing has been done to it. Based on some feedback from one of the vintage Mac Facebook groups, I have a good sense of what I need to do. Everything makes sense about using automotive car coolant and how it should be replaced every so often.

My hard drive is a carry-over from a system I bought years ago that had a large cache of outdated software from Adobe and Microsoft. I also installed iLife 09 to complete the party. I'm working on an Adobe InDesign document on my daily driver and am tempted to try it on the G5's older InDesign version.

The next thing I figure on trying is updating one of my Wordpress websites. But so far, aside from finding a web browser that works, it really hasn't been much of a challenge. Maybe next year, I'll try on my 17" Powerbook G4. I think this just goes to show how much Moore's Law is a thing of the past.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I almost feel like I'm cheating a bit. My brother gave me a quad core 2.5GHz G5 that he hadn't really used since it was given to him by another friend a few years ago. I slapped in a hard drive with an OS and a bunch of software on it and the machine fired right up. I have to say it's pretty snappy for a 17-year-old computer. I'm going to dig through some drawers and hope to find some more RAM, as this one only has 2GB.

I had to find a web browser. Since TenFourfox's end, I've been keeping an eye out for something, but hadn't looked recently. I came across InterWebPPC and it's doing a great job. I highly recommend it. MacintoshRepository, greeted me with a message that acknowledged my use of an older system and disabled SSL for my visit. Very cool.

As I sit here typing on my G5, I'm listening to Mac Yak #150 in YouTube in a small window from the Mac Yak website.

I'm treating this machine just like any other Mac I'd use on a regular basis. I have a 2.1 sound system connected to it because of the lousy speaker in the G5. Sounds great now. Aside from the fans that ramped up after I started the YouTube stream. I do have to check the liquid cooling system on this Mac. I'm sure nothing has been done to it. Based on some feedback from one of the vintage Mac Facebook groups, I have a good sense of what I need to do. Everything makes sense about using automotive car coolant and how it should be replaced every so often.

My hard drive is a carry-over from a system I bought years ago that had a large cache of outdated software from Adobe and Microsoft. I also installed iLife 09 to complete the party. I'm working on an Adobe InDesign document on my daily driver and am tempted to try it on the G5's older InDesign version.

The next thing I figure on trying is updating one of my Wordpress websites. But so far, aside from finding a web browser that works, it really hasn't been much of a challenge. Maybe next year, I'll try on my 17" Powerbook G4. I think this just goes to show how much Moore's Law is a thing of the past.
That’s not cheating, that’s just having an awesome powermac. I have a DC 2ghz a1117 & it is quite snappy. I can only imagine a quad. You should buy your brother some beers for the gift. 🙂

Last edited:

dosdude1

Tinkerer
Jan 10, 2022
Since Discord seems to be a popular topic on this thread, I figured I'd make an account to keep you all updated on the latest changes to my completely custom, ultra-lightweight Discord client, which can run on PPC and Intel systems under Mac OS X 10.4 Tiger and later. Just recently, I added support for viewing and sending replies, which should make the program a whole lot more usable. I am slowly working on the project in my free time, and my end goal is to create a fully-featured client, that supports voice chat and maybe even video. Next thing on the list for right now is to get 2-factor authentication working. Please let me know what features you would like implemented sooner, and I'll work on those first. Hopefully you all enjoy a nice, smooth Discord experience with Discord Lite! All info and prebuilt binaries can be found on the GitHub repo.

Staso28

New Tinkerer
Nov 23, 2021
Hello everyone.
I'm also participating. My trusty 2GHz dualcore G5 running Sobet is a joy to use. It is providing all my basic needs - web browsing, youtube, movies etc... I'm also using my Dual 450Mhz Powermac G4 running Tiger. I'm using this when I want a more real mac experience and running Classic software.

I'd like to spread the message about a project of mine - simple web RSS reader - made without SSL with HTML3.2 so usable for every vintage browser - all the way to Netscape 3 and IE4.

It is running here: http://frogrss.kutik.sk

I built this service so I can follow my favorite RSS feeds across all my vintage and modern computers. I'm using it event on my android phone.

What are RSS good for?
- reading news for your favorite web site
- following podcasts
- following any page providing RSS feed - for example this forum
- following Youtube channels !!! - every youtube channel is providing RSS Feed, so I can get info about new videos without even opening Youtube site and very easily get the video URL for using with PPCMC....

Action Retro

Tinkerer
Oct 19, 2021
Hello, I'm posting this from my TiBook 867 MHz running OpenBSD 7.0 with fvwm and NetSurf browser, mostly to see if it works. Even if this post doesn't go through - good gracious is this OS fast

Attachments

• screenie.png
    screenie.png
    28 KB · Views: 90

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021

Tuesday 11th Jan 2021​

I had a very late start to the 2022 PowerPC challenge, as I had non-stop work from the moment the challenge began. Some of this could have theoretically been done on a PPC, but it would have slowed me down, which wasn't really an option. Not to mention that the challenge is more about recreational computer time, rather than work time.

Today was the first time I even began to think about how this year's challenge would look for me. I have no shortage of PPC computers to work with, from early 603 PPC processors all the way up to G5s, and with everything in between.

I settled on which computers I would be using, and there were two of them. The first is the computer I'm using as I type this, which is a 1.5GHz 12" PowerBook G4 with 1.25GB RAM, a 320GB mechanical hard drive and OSX 10.4.11 Tiger installed. There's something about these little 12" PowerBooks, they are just so cute!

The other computer is a Dual 2GHz G5 tower with 8GB RAM and a 1TB SSD, dual booting between OSX 10.4.11 Tiger and OSX 10.5.8 Leopard. This G5 I have owned since buying it brand new in 2003. It is my intention to install the game-changing Sorbet Leopard on it before the challenge is over.

The next thing to decide is what will I do on these Macs? I'm not really much of a gamer, so I would be looking at more functional tasks. For my day job I'm a web developer and while I can use just about any text editor to write code, I need a modern web browser to test that code. I also do computer repairs, but that's a job that actually takes me away from the computer, so not really a good one for the PPC challenge. And finally, I am also a YouTube content creator, and I can't really use the PPC for editing video, but I can use it for writing scripts, so that's a good starting point.

Interestingly enough, one of the most important pieces of software I use daily is good old Apple Notes. It's just a simple text editor, but the way it synchronises with all of my devices is fantastic. I can edit my notes on my phone, my iPad, my laptop or my desktop computer and they're all immediately synchronised. So simple but so useful. I use Notes for drafting emails, writing scripts, storing ideas and making shopping lists. We even use Notes for sharing the topics of the Mac Yak show. Given that Notes is unavailable in Tiger and Leopard, I was forced to find a way of having a similar functionality using the tools at my disposal. And that's when I decided to write my own web version of Notes. Borrowing very much on the design and functionality of the actual Notes application, my new web Notes allows me to create, edit and delete notes, with an autosave feature running in the background using Javascript and AJAX. And it works beautifully in the old Safari version 4.

The beauty of this is that I can type away on my little G4 laptop (which still holds a pretty decent charge) then jump onto my modern Mac and use that text in whichever way it needs to be used, without any need to transfer files.

As soon as I mentioned this new creation to the Mac Yak crew, they immediately asked where they could get hold of it. Unfortunately, it's a one-user system at the moment, but I do hope to expand this for multiple users in the near future.

So what have I done with this new tool? So far, the only thing I've done is write this little piece, but I'll be using it for lots more in the coming days. Stay tuned for further updates!

IMG_9293.jpg

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Late to the party but had to get this cold out of my system before I started lugging PPC's from the basement. I had a couple of ideas for this challenge but with time being in short supply I decided to fire up Maya. It hasn't been touched since the 2020 PPC Challenge so is currently still sporting the dual 867MHz CPUs but these will be swapped out soon for something ending in "GHz".
For now, I just wanted to see if everything still worked and how Sorbet leopard ran on it (freakin' fantastic!)
Now I need to make some desk space and get organized :)
Picture 2.png

Last edited: