Apple TechStep Replacement ROMs, cartridges, software, and more!

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
There's something amiss with my CPU Test Vol 1, v.1.1.1 cart. 9 our of 10 times when the TS is turned on with that cart installed the TS screen doesn't come on the LED flashes red after a second or so. When it does power up the cart seems to be perfectly fine. Guessing a loose connection inside - the cart actually is a lot looser than my others when you try to move the connector. I'm guessing you just pry up the bottom of the case where it curves around and meets the connector? Don't want to break anything! TIA.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
There's something amiss with my CPU Test Vol 1, v.1.1.1 cart. 9 our of 10 times when the TS is turned on with that cart installed the TS screen doesn't come on the LED flashes red after a second or so. When it does power up the cart seems to be perfectly fine. Guessing a loose connection inside - the cart actually is a lot looser than my others when you try to move the connector. I'm guessing you just pry up the bottom of the case where it curves around and meets the connector? Don't want to break anything! TIA.
I'd assume a loose connection but could also be a bridge under the chip. Did you build one of these and if so do you have any photos? Also the red usually means an issue on the Cart I assume a connection issue but could possibly be ROM based. As far as the looseness, yes they will be looser than usual they aren't 100% OEM but mine seem to work just fine I find that slot B works better than A in terms of fitment. This could also be an issue dependent on what chip you used.

Last edited:

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
Sorry, I meant my stock cart. I've managed to get it apart without breaking anything. Just going over it all with my multimeter now.. You're probably right though - I'm assuming a dry solder joint somewhere...

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Sorry, I meant my stock cart. I've managed to get it apart without breaking anything. Just going over it all with my multimeter now.. You're probably right though - I'm assuming a dry solder joint somewhere...
Stock one it could even be a failing chip, if everything checks out after a reflow or a dry joint great, if not because you already have a board I can program a replacement chip and send it to ya and you can just pop it in.

Reactions: pocketscience

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
OK, crisis averted. Dry joint - very obvious under microscope - wobbling around like a drunk on Saturday night... :)

Works great now.

Will make some boards though as I don't have the full complement of carts. I've got a TL866CS, but will need to grab an adapter for the ROM chip as I've only ever done DIP packages before.

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
OK, crisis averted. Dry joint - very obvious under microscope - wobbling around like a drunk on Saturday night... :)

Works great now.

Will make some boards though as I don't have the full complement of carts. I've got a TL866CS, but will need to grab an adapter for the ROM chip as I've only ever done DIP packages before.
It’s a 32pin plcc, glad it was an easy fix someone must’ve used it a lot in the past which is good it was used and enjoyed.

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
@Elemenoh I printed the STL's on my Ender 3 today and they came out pretty great. I was worried about removing all the support structures around the itty-bitsy pins etc, but it came off in one piece without breaking anything. I have also ordered some from JLCPCB (~$20 for 4 enclosures) to see how they come out. Great work on the design!

Reactions: jajan547

pocketscience

Tinkerer
Apr 29, 2022
Sydney, Australia
@jajan547 can you check the gerber files in the archive in the first post? I was about to place an order when I noticed that the Rev1_SMD gerber has the original routing that needed to be bodged. SuperSVGA posted updated gerber in post #164 on the other site, which looks correct (or at least reflects the bodges he advised), but hasn't made it into your archive.

Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 4.35.55 pm.png
vs
Screen Shot 2022-06-22 at 4.36.08 pm.png

Last edited:

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
@jajan547 can you check the gerber files in the archive in the first post? I was about to place an order when I noticed that the Rev1_SMD gerber has the original routing that needed to be bodged. SuperSVGA posted updated gerber in post #164 on the other site, which looks correct (or at least reflects the bodges he advised), but hasn't made it into your archive.
That's why I added the updated folder with that issue fixed.

Attachments

• Everything Apple TechStep 2.1.zip
    11.2 MB · Views: 58

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Hello! :)👋

Saw this on eBay. I guess a prototype of the TechStep is still for sale:

Has been there's no difference between this and final units and the $3000 is way too steep for a diagnostic tool. If you really want one you can wait until max and I are done recreating this new one or I might have an extra I can sell you.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Has been there's no difference between this and final units and the $3000 is way too steep for a diagnostic tool.
Yeah, I agree. Other than being a "prototype" (I am dubious about that :rolleyes:), I do not see the point spending $3k for that. :oops:

If you really want one you can wait until max and I are done recreating this new one or I might have an extra I can sell you.
I will wait until the dust settles and it has been declared a success. :sneaky: