Apple TechStep Replacement ROMs, cartridges, software, and more!

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Indeed!
giphy.gif

Reactions: JDW

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I look forward to the day when I can get a recreated TechStep! :)

Saw an auction for a TechStep in Oklahoma that included the bag, cables, and two modules. However, I declined since the listing didn't say it turned on. I think it sold for about $120. That site required a buyer premium of 15% plus shipping costs. Ugh. eBay charges the seller fees, so HiBid charges the buyers. Interesting.

I'd grab it if I see TechStep selling for sub $200. I am hoping the recreated TechStep will be minimal. Even purchasing an assembled unit with an STL file posted online will do fine as I can 3D print the case.

Reactions: Patrick

Patrick

Tinkerer
Oct 26, 2021
i would buy a recreated techStep even if it it costs more then a used OG techStep

jajan547

Active Tinkerer
Mar 25, 2022
North Carolina, USA
Crazy news everyone, @splorp has sent me two oddly labeled TechStep ROMs. I assumed they were prototype ROMs maybe PVT or late development, well nope definitely early or middle of the road production you can see hand soldered components and bodge wires. I've included photos below and included the Prototype ROM images in .bin format on page one in a separate folder so if anyone here makes some new ROM packs for their TechStep they can build these as well. Interesting that the TechStep identifies these as ROMpaks, these are essentially SCSI HDD Tests and CPU Tests Vol 1. I plan to build new ROM cartridges with these very images tonight you will notice slight differences in these from the final releases. If you are curious both ROMpaks use the AM27C512 32 pin PLCC chip found in the early variants. I also include these images here in case you don't want to go to page one. Again I want to give a huge thank you to @splorp as these images are now preserved.
tempImageJylF2w.jpg
tempImageokt7hL.jpg

tempImage1Amtwz.jpg
tempImagelslfjw.jpg

tempImageYRpWeR.jpg
tempImagepY4nkz.jpg

tempImageZW5Xjy.jpg

Attachments

• TechStep Prototype ROMs.zip
    36.2 KB · Views: 89

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
It’s insane. I paid $300 for mine which came with almost everything. That was only 6 months or so ago. And I considered that expensive.

They simply aren’t worth 10x that…
I agree 1,000%.

It seems one person posted one that is a prototype and set a silly high number... and then people with normal units thought that theirs was worth that too. I messaged some of those sellers and they had no idea what they had... they didn't even list the ROM packs that were included... 🙄

Thankfully with these awesome projects it will be one more thing that is made available to a wider audience of tinkerers! 😄

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I agree 1,000%.

It seems one person posted one that is a prototype and set a silly high number... and then people with normal units thought that theirs was worth that too. I messaged some of those sellers and they had no idea what they had... they didn't even list the ROM packs that were included... 🙄

Not unusual for sellers on eBay not to know anything about what they are selling. :rolleyes: Why list if they can't answer basic questions? Of course, moola.

Thankfully with these awesome projects it will be one more thing that is made available to a wider audience of tinkerers! 😄

Oh yeah, for sure! :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I look forward to the day when I can get a recreated TechStep! :)

Saw an auction for a TechStep in Oklahoma that included the bag, cables, and two modules. However, I declined since the listing didn't say it turned on. I think it sold for about $120. That site required a buyer premium of 15% plus shipping costs. Ugh. eBay charges the seller fees, so HiBid charges the buyers. Interesting.

I'd grab it if I see TechStep selling for sub $200. I am hoping the recreated TechStep will be minimal. Even purchasing an assembled unit with an STL file posted online will do fine as I can 3D print the case.
You should have bought it. I doubt it would not have turned on, but even if it didn't our TechStep reverse engineering project is underway, giving insight into how the thing works and therefore potential help if one is in need of repair. $120 for a complete kit with bag, even with only 2 modules, is great, even with a 15% premium and shipping being extra. But those selling for several hundred dollars are not worth it, in my opinion. There is a point at which something becomes not just expensive, but "crazy" expensive (e.g., Lisa, Apple I, etc.)

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
You should have bought it. I doubt it would not have turned on, but even if it didn't our TechStep reverse engineering project is underway, giving insight into how the thing works and therefore potential help if one is in need of repair. $120 for a complete kit with bag, even with only 2 modules, is great, even with a 15% premium and shipping being extra. But those selling for several hundred dollars are not worth it, in my opinion. There is a point at which something becomes not just expensive, but "crazy" expensive (e.g., Lisa, Apple I, etc.)

That is what I had considered as well that I should have bought it. Then again, I wanted something newer that we are coming up. :)

Reactions: JDW