Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Hello everyone,

Last year I purchased half of a Performa 550 chassis that was missing the analog board and CRT. My goal was to use the included wiring harness to help me troubleshoot compatible 68k LC/Performa systems, the Color Classic, and Macintosh TV.

Sadly, I have a few of these boards that need help, and the way the logic board slides into the chassis, it doesn't allow you to probe the system while it's on, etc.

So today I took my first step into making this a reality. It's pretty janky, but as a concept it works! 🎉🥳

Bench1.jpeg

Bench2.jpeg

ColorClassicScreen.png

Here's what I did and how it works:

1. I took an ATX power supply and used an ATX extension cable. This way I could splice wires without permanently modifying the power supply, if I needed to use the power supply for something else I could just unplug the extension cable.

From the ATX power supply I used two +5V cables (red), one +12V cable (yellow) and one black Ground cable. I spliced these to the two +5V, one +12V and two Ground (black and brown) cables from the Performa wiring harness. I bridged the black and brown ground cables together, but the system seems to work with the brown cable disconnected.

2. With just the power cables connected, the the ATX power supply is jumped to switch on when power is applied (by bridging the green "PS_ON" cable to ground). So when you connect a logic board... it springs to life! I plugged in a BlueSCSI and sure enough, I got a nice display of dancing lights when I applied power. This hack seems to skip any soft power circuitry. So you don't need to turn the system on via the keyboard.

3. Next, I wanted to try getting a video signal out to confirm the system is turning on properly. 📺

Using the LC 575 schematic floating around online, I was able to confirm the video signals I needed. Red, Green, Blue (plus their three ground signals), VSYNC and HSYNC. More may be needed for a proper picture... but I started with these as my friend @BigBadBiologist had some success when building his test bench set up. I used this pinout for a Mac 15-pin video connector as a guide and wired up those signals to the female end of a spare 15-pin connector I had.

Mac DB15 Pinout.png

I didn't want to rip apart the ribbon cable female edge connector that went to the analog board... So instead I clipped some plastic and used my SCSI edge PCB prototype to connect to the wires inside the connector. The spacing between the connectors was perfect, so I may design a PCB to help get access to these signals easier. This gave me access to every other pin (the odd pins, labeled A1 through A41 in the schematic), which was perfect. However I couldn't easily get access to the specific ground pins, so I just tied them to to each other temporarily.

Schematic LC.png

4. I then plugged in a simple (non-dip) switch DB15 to VGA adapter, with a VGA cable going to my Atlona video scaler... to my surprise when I switched the power on, I got a video signal! (y)

The Mac seems to work fine, and although the image is blurry, it's plenty good for testing to see if a board works.

What isn't working / Things to figure out:

1. In my testing I used a Color Classic logic board. I get no sound from the headphone jack on the logic board, or the headphone jack on the front of the little board (with the volume / picture controls and LED) on the Performa. This may be related to the infamous grounding issue.

2. The output resolution from the Mac (according to the video scaler) appears to be 640x350. I'm using a stock System 7.1 (Color Classic 401 System enabler). It could simply be that I'm not taping into a ground or additional video signal. Or it could a CC board not being happy in a "Performa" chassis. Because of this I only see the top left of the image of the screen, with the bottom and right being cut off.

3. The video image is very blurry, likely because in my testing I tied together the Red, Blue, and Green's ground video signals... and didn't really ground them. This is probably causing a LOT of analog noise. If I bothered to run the individual ground cables, this image would probably look better. 😅

4. If the floppy drive is not connected, the system appears to think there's an unreadable floppy disk inserted! It'll show the floppy disk with an X on it on startup, and complain about an unreadable or locked disk. Connecting a floppy disk drive (even with no disk in it) seems to resolve this issue.

5. Use of a clock/PRAM battery is recommended, otherwise it takes a long time for the system to display an image.

Next steps...

1. Figure out how to get some sound out of the system.

2. Fix the video picture quality.

3. Test this set up with a Performa/LC 550/575 board to see if the video resolution issue is fixed.

4. If you have any ideas of how to make this better, I'm all ears. :) I'll try to get some close up photos and make a crude diagram soon.

Last edited:

jibsaramnim

New Tinkerer
Mar 16, 2024
South Korea
www.davejansen.com
This is great, well done! Indirectly related, I'd love to be able to add a VGA output to my CC in a non-destructive way to be able to do some direct captures whilst using the internal display like usual. I know this has been done before on other Macs like the SE and all, but I'm not sure if this has been done with a CC. I'll be eagerly following your updates on the video output front, in case this can end up being used to achieve this.

Reactions: eric

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
I cannot wait to see this evolve! I have a Performa 6214 that I might do this to to make it my PowerPC test bench. I know the edge connector is different, but I'm sure I could find a pinout of the connector if need be

This Does Not Compute

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
2. The output resolution from the Mac (according to the video scaler) appears to be 640x350. I'm using a stock System 7.1 (Color Classic 401 System enabler). It could simply be that I'm not taping into a ground or additional video signal. Or it could a CC board not being happy in a "Performa" chassis. Because of this I only see the top left of the image of the screen, with the bottom and right being cut off.
Slide-in Mac motherboards can handle output at different resolutions, including the Color Classic. They rely on "sense lines" from the analog board to determine what resolution to output. It's likely that you just need to get these sorted; the VGA mod for the Color Classic explains a bit more on how this works. For bonus points, rig up some switches so you can flip between 512x384 (Color Classic) and 640x480 (LC5xx/Mac TV).

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Thanks Colin! Yes that’s something I’ll explore. Adding ground to the video signals (I just used a shared ground for all three colors and it seemed okay) produced a much better image.

Screen Shot 2024-08-11 at 6.30.49 PM.jpeg

Now I’d love to figure out sound! 🔊

I’ll start with the Color Classic or 575 as those schematics are known.

Today with the CC I plugged in a speaker to the headphone jack on the logic board, but I didn’t get any sound. I know from Adrian’s infamous video, things need to be grounded right to get sound out. But I still need to determine what exactly needs to be connected.

I also notice the audio amp is on the analog board, and the schematics show the complicated path of sound going from the sound chip to the speakers etc…

The sound wouldn’t have to be perfect, I’d just love to hear a startup chime or death chime.

Edit: I’ve revived a Mac TV board and it works well on this harness too.

Last edited:

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
That's great, now if only you didn't have to sacrifice a Mac for that…

I've had this idea for some years already since I saw the takky mod stuff (another source for reference) but shelved until I could produce proper replacement connectors… Which I believe I can now. And until I find the full wiring for it. And until I get a classic because I only have a PPC board that'd make use of that.
Screenshot_20240814_205536.png

Last edited:

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
That's great, now if only you didn't have to sacrifice a Mac for that…

I've had this idea for some years already since I saw the takky mod stuff (another source for reference) but shelved until I could produce proper replacement connectors… Which I believe I can now. And until I find the full wiring for it. And until I get a classic because I only have a PPC board that'd make use of that.
View attachment 17466
Awesome! Beautiful work as usual. ❤️

Maybe your brain can figure out how to get sound out of the headphone jack without the analog board or whatnot. 😅

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Love it! May have a suggestion or two for your build. Is that older harness compatible with the 630/6200/6400/6500 harness interface supports? From the looks of it, the narrower AIO harnesses were a sub-set of the planned full width 580/630 thru 6500 buildout of that medusa-mess?

I have a BenchMac/Alchemy/Gazelle testbed setup in one of my favorite PC cases. It uses the drawer runner/harness mounting plate from the side of the FuglyTower chassis bolted up to the solid side of my DEC MiniTower rig. If you can source one of those it can be mounted easily to any test setup with boards slid in and out of the open faced "drawer" at will and harnesses can be swapped out for a metal fatigue limited cycle count.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
. . . the VGA mod for the Color Classic explains a bit more on how this works. For bonus points, rig up some switches so you can flip between 512x384 (Color Classic) and 640x480 (LC5xx/Mac TV).
Hrmmm? Has that database been updated with the info @techknight posted about doing 640x480 on the CC "the right way?" IIRC he said he'd do so, but never saw him post on how to do the same with the 12" RGB for LC.

Reactions: JDW

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
LOL! No doubt, but ISTR he had reliable info on the method Apple had squirreled away for it and the 12" RGB 'zaTopper. Both were in development at the same time I think? I always wondered if they were resolution limited because of screen size/legibility for the CC and hobbling the low end for the LC to preserve sales or it may have had something to do with gameplay a/o K-12 apps on the LC's larger screen.

Meanwhile, back on topic:

6x00-MoBo-drawer-plate.jpg

6x00 drawer rslide/harness clip mounting plate is the bombe for this kind of thing. Mine is mounted vertically for testbed use and points out the back where it belongs so there's cubic above the works for the sub-woofer when it's buttoned up. Putting a borked FuglyTower case out of its misery is a mitzvah.

Alternately, modeling the runner/clip anchor for 3D printing the thin mirrored side sections for bolting up to just about anything would be a great project. ;)

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Just remembered the clips @-SE40- printed for his Takky Mac project:

SE40-Logic-Board-Clips-Downscaled.jpg

His CAD model should be easily extended and the side runner/clip morphed into bolt down stands. The harness clips wouldn't be necessary for your purposes I think? The board connector interface is plenty rigid enough as is and you wouldn't be changing out the boards very often.

Can't help myself on the mechanical interface front, I'll be quiet now. :oops:

Last edited:

Mac84

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 4, 2021
New Jersey, USA
www.mac84.net
Love it! May have a suggestion or two for your build. Is that older harness compatible with the 630/6200/6400/6500 harness interface supports? From the looks of it, the narrower AIO harnesses were a sub-set of the planned full width 580/630 thru 6500 buildout of that medusa-mess?

I have a BenchMac/Alchemy/Gazelle testbed setup in one of my favorite PC cases. It uses the drawer runner/harness mounting plate from the side of the FuglyTower chassis bolted up to the solid side of my DEC MiniTower rig. If you can source one of those it can be mounted easily to any test setup with boards slid in and out of the open faced "drawer" at will and harnesses can be swapped out for a metal fatigue limited cycle count.

This is outside the scope of my project. I'm focusing on the Color Classic and TV/550/575 models as that's what I need to test without an analog board and CRT. I'd suggest starting a new thread about those systems, as the pinout and technical details differ.

The other day I streamed fixing a Macintosh TV, I was able to plug it in to my test harness and to my surprise the video worked without making any adjustments, glorious 640x480! 🥳 Now I still need to tackle sound output...

MacTVScreen.jpg

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
This is outside the scope of my project. I'm focusing on the Color Classic and TV/550/575 models as that's what I need to test without an analog board and CRT. I'd suggest starting a new thread about those systems, as the pinout and technical details differ.
Wasn't creating a non-related tangent in need of a new topic I think. I was suggesting/showing the later system's drawer slides as mounts for the boards involved in your specific use case as illustrated in your first pic. Apple appears to have developed the CC/TV/550/575 harness connector's form factor with room for expansion in later models.

The CC harness connector has the same physical form factor/clips as the later systems in my pics, but with less/different connections offset to the right, no? Just saying there are convenient mounting solutions for swapping out boards and harnesses for your setup.

edit: thumbnailed the pics so as not to be so distracting. ;)

Last edited:

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
My initial idea was to make a board to support both with either connectors, but I'm wondering if it might not be too large, probably simpler to do separate boards…

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Love your board! what connectors did you find for the harness?

If you do just the PPC section, thruholes for backplane connectors makes it perfect for doing a riff on one of the thin frogdesign studies with LCD. That would provide handy mounting points on the rear for BlueSCSI, tiny IDE to SD card or IDE DOM (Disk On Module.) On the left side you could put plugs to hook up internal USB and Firewire cables to connectors on the backplane?

Now THAT would be a cure for demolished case plastics. ;)

Back on topic: That Janky setup with the logic board hanging off the side of the plywood CRT box looks difficult to troubleshoot the board? Routing runners for the board on the sides of an open plywood frame would allow you to flop the frame for easy access to component and solder sides.

Last edited:

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Well I found the perfect connector in KiCad's library… then I failed to actually order one because they don't exist in 2x50 pins unkeyed 🤷‍♂️
I experimented with slicing PCI connectors (it needs 2 more pins than the actual amount on the main section…). Would work but it's finicky…And the other day I found another potential candidate… But it'll have to wait for my next mouser order.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Splitting NuBus connector toward the centerline and soldering the thruholes with a PDC Cardfor alignment works a treat. Same should work for your SMT connector?

What's the width of the CC/TV/550/575 logic boards? Same as the 630 & its offspring? Got another trick up my sleeve for the test setup. ;)

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
The pitch is half of that… So yes it's feasible but best avoided, as it could give shortcuts.

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Oops, didn't specifically mention switching to from surface mount to thruhole connectors.

Dot pitch of PCI is the same as Nubus on the solder side. Solder and component sides are each splayed out to a pair of staggered rows. The soldertail pins will keep everything in alignment mechanically. Can't imagine producing a short on the connectors?

The fit is really tight and may lower cycle count. It would be easier to desolder than surface mount for replacement if necessary?

Last edited: