Display graphic FULL SCREEN on Mac SE?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
What app will allow me to display a graphic FULL SCREEN that works on a Mac SE or Plus (4MB of RAM & 68000 CPU)?

Graphic Converter 1.7 won't work and neither will JPEGView 3. SuperPaint won't do it either. Same for Deneba Canvas 3.5.

I am talking about full screen with NO MENUBAR -- just the graphic only at the full 512x342 pixels. On my SE/30, I use Photoshop 4.0, but that doesn't work on an SE.

• Love
Reactions: retr01

mikeypie

New Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
He's dead, Jim.

Full screen image viewing:

FullPaint crashes on every OS flavor of System 7, and even crashes under 6.0.8 for me.
You might try changing the memory bus setting (in the Memory Control Panel) between 24-bit and 32-bit. Many older (especially System 6 and earlier) apps need 24-bit addressing because they made hacks for speed improvements and such. Later software might need 32-bit and crash in 24-bit mode

Folks on Facebook suggested I try PowerPoint 1.0, and while that does display content full screen, it shrinks that content down and put a forced margin around it
Aldus Persuasion might be a better choice for presentation software on classic Macs. it should also have full-screen, and it might not pad the edges

I tried using Graphic Converter on my vintage Mac to make a MacPaint version of my TIFFs
Try JPEGView by Aaron Giles. It might have a full-screen mode. If not, it might do a better job converting your TIFFs

A final thing to try might be looking for keyboard shortcuts in various apps to toggle full screen. They might be in the documentation but not in the menus because that's how things were sometimes. I would try combos like ⌘-space, esc, and such Edit: Just realized ⌘-space came up already, but for different reasons

mikeypie

New Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
Sorry, I got mixed up thinking you were using an SE/30. Obviously, there are more options for SE/30 than for SE. Contrary to what you said initially, though SuperPaint does full screen with no menubar. And, like HyperCard, it works on low-spec classics. I spent some time and tested SuperPaint with System 6.0.8:

SE: (per your question)
  • SuperPaint 1.1MS, SuperPaint 2.0, or SuperPaint Deluxe 3.5.
    1. Go to Options > Preferences, and then select Hide menus when hiding palettes.
    2. Go to Windows > Full Screen (⌘F).
    3. Go to Windows > Hide Palettes (⌘H).
  • HyperCard 1.5. Press ⌘space to toggle menubar (per YMK). But, you'd need to know how to use HyperCard better to get much out of it.
  • Aldus Persuasion 2.1.
    1. Go to File > Slideshow.
    2. In Options, select Fullsreen.
    3. Click OK.

68020, 68030, or 68040 with 10+MB RAM: (I'm putting this here because I never realized how demanding these apps were)
  • GIFConverter 2.3.7. Press ⌘B to hide menubar.
  • JPEGView 3.3.1. Press ⌘F for full screen, and then press ⌘I for slideshow.
  • ImageViewer 4.42. Press ⌘F for full screen (ImageViewer is really unstable for me in System 7.5.3).

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
@JDW
I'm working on my own slideshow utility with more functions as part of the THINK C group week #2 but I stumbled upon this on Mac Garden. It kinda does the same thing I wanted to do, but limited to Mac Paint files and with less "goodies":

PaintFlipper

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@JDW
I'm working on my own slideshow utility with more functions as part of the THINK C group week #2 but I stumbled upon this on Mac Garden. It kinda does the same thing I wanted to do, but limited to Mac Paint files and with less "goodies":

PaintFlipper
Thank you for the link! That would seem to be a very nice solution for my SE or SE/30 machines; but if indeed it only works on System 6 or lower, then it wouldn't work on my LC575 Mystic, as that requires System 7.1 as its minimum OS version.

Mu0n

Active Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Quebec
www.youtube.com
Thank you for the link! That would seem to be a very nice solution for my SE or SE/30 machines; but if indeed it only works on System 6 or lower, then it wouldn't work on my LC575 Mystic, as that requires System 7.1 as its minimum OS version.
My one solution will bind them all, in the darkness.

• Love
Reactions: JDW