Documentation for DB15 to VGA adapters

Branchus

Tinker Different Public Relations Liaison 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I'm regularly asked which adaptor to use when connecting a vintage Mac to a modern monitor using a DB15 to VGA adapter.

There are so many different types of adapter around: some with 10 DIP switches, some with 8, some with 16 and some with none. Some sync on green, some do not. I would love people to come forward with the adaptors they own, include a picture of the adaptor and the DIP switch instructions, so that we can build a resource of all the adapters out there, and the associated documentation.

I have a few, but I'll start with one that seems to readily available at the time of writing this.

I will post details on some of my others soon. If anyone has better pics of this one, feel free to submit them.

s-l300.jpg
CC2270A_S.jpg

Branchus

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I got this one recently:
View attachment 770

If you have the doc for that one would be cool, as it seems to support many other modes than the ones in the sticker.
Txs!
Are some of those switches broken off, or are they just in the "on" position? I'm pretty sure I have complete documentation for this one, I'll post it as soon as I find it...

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
Are some of those switches broken off, or are they just in the "on" position? I'm pretty sure I have complete documentation for this one, I'll post it as soon as I find it...
All seems OK, and the adapter is working at 832x624.
I think the previous owner painted with a permanent marker the switches that had to be set “on” for his config.

Branchus

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Here's another.

vga-adapter3.jpg

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
I have a 10-pin adapter, but the instructions it came with include settings for 6-pin as well. The only thing I couldn't get working was my NeXT 21" color display. It wouldn't sync to a Mac with any of these settings. Anyone know if it's possible to get that display working with any model of Mac?

IMG_8306.JPG

IMG_8305.JPG

pfuentes69

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Switzerland
As this is of general interest for many models and not only Macintosh II, I suggest this post is moved to
Vintage Apple > Add-ons, Peripherals & Networking > Graphic Cards & Audio / Visual

Reactions: re4mat

Branchus

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
As this is of general interest for many models and not only Macintosh II, I suggest this post is moved to
Vintage Apple > Add-ons, Peripherals & Networking > Graphic Cards & Audio / Visual
That makes sense, and has been done.

Reactions: pfuentes69

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
I have had the best luck with the NEC MultiSync adapters that used to ship with NEC monitors in the 90s. Ones like this one. No jumpers required.

image.jpg

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Here's the schematics I made for the Sony MacView:

1637444892885.png

Stay tuned for the kicad pcd in the The Lab -> Hardware section hopefully soon-ish. Maybe I'll make two designs. One faithful to the original design which uses edge connectors and wire and another which uses through hole connectors. It will be CC BY-NC-SA 4.0 as always.

I'm not 100% sure if this is the same as the UNIMAC 82D. Would have to sit down and start comparing the manuals to see if they match which I don't feel like doing right now 😵

Edit: The Unimac 82D is the same.

Edit: Fixed the line label for the composite sink. CS should have been HS-CS.

Last edited:

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Ok yeah. Curiosity got the better of me and I compared the sheets and schematics and they seem to match. If you combine the two manual together you get a super set of settings. The Unimac 82D seems to mention the jumper settings for portrait monitors, 2 page mono and 512 x 384 and multi res which the Sony MacView lacks. On the other hand the Sony MacView manual will actually specify the Mac models for different settings so both are nice,

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Here's a 10-pin ADB to VGA adapter, not branded. Used it with pins 1, 4 and 5 on to connect various IIx's to a 15" VGA display but haven't used it for anything else. (I removed the thumbscrews from the adapter as they kept getting in the way, typically these are present)

Attachments

• IMG_1269.jpeg
    IMG_1269.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 152
  • DBAtoVGA-Manual-1.jpeg
    DBAtoVGA-Manual-1.jpeg
    605 KB · Views: 175
  • DBAtoVGA-Manual-2.jpeg
    DBAtoVGA-Manual-2.jpeg
    867.8 KB · Views: 194
Reactions: alxlab and Branchus