GlobalTalk - Global AppleTalk network for MARCHintosh 2024 (and beyond!)

slomacuser

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
If life would be that easy :)

- Installed clean sys 7.6.1
- no network software select in sys 7.6.1
- so installed classic network from 7.5.3 cd

and got this
IMG_8632.jpeg
IMG_8631.jpeg
- Installed clean 7.5.3
- select classic networking no open transport
- installed only AIR nothing else
and here we are again :)

IMG_8634.jpeg

NJRoadfan

New Tinkerer
Feb 6, 2022
If AIR requires classic networking, then any PowerMac with PCI and newer will not work as they require Open Transport. So the AURP gateway is limited to the x100 and x200 Nubus based machines machines.

michelefrost

New Tinkerer
Mar 29, 2024
Hello globaltalkers... I think I made it but I can't see anything in my zones... so I did not :D

I used Petar's image that @Byte Knight shared, which I understand is already updated, patched and ready to go... right?
I do have an Apple Internet Router up and running on my IIci, range and zone (hopefully) configured, but I see no other zones in my Chooser.
In the log I see that SNMP Router Agent was unable to load.. does this affect GlobalTalk settings? FWIW, web browsing is working with no problem.

IMG_0394.jpeg

BTW file sharing is not possible using this disk image, as the extensions and controls to run it are disabled, but I was curious at least to see some live in my zones box... while I do not even see a zones box!

Any hint super appreciated! thanks in advance.

slomacuser

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
Check in excel list that you have unique zone range not used by anyone else and that your router share open port.

michelefrost

New Tinkerer
Mar 29, 2024
router has UDP 387 open... but zone range might be overlapping with another. I will change and test again.

Oct 15, 2021
Hello globaltalkers... I think I made it but I can't see anything in my zones... so I did not :D

I used Petar's image that @Byte Knight shared, which I understand is already updated, patched and ready to go... right?
I do have an Apple Internet Router up and running on my IIci, range and zone (hopefully) configured, but I see no other zones in my Chooser.
In the log I see that SNMP Router Agent was unable to load.. does this affect GlobalTalk settings? FWIW, web browsing is working with no problem.

View attachment 16095

BTW file sharing is not possible using this disk image, as the extensions and controls to run it are disabled, but I was curious at least to see some live in my zones box... while I do not even see a zones box!

Any hint super appreciated! thanks in advance.

Looks like your Network control panel is still set to Printer Port instead of Ethernet.

michelefrost

New Tinkerer
Mar 29, 2024
Turned off printer and modem port, fixed the zone range to a free one (and updated the shared list), ADDED SOME HOST IDS to the router settings (this I did not do before), and now I see zones - but I don't seem to see shared folders or printers. Maybe because sharing in this disk image is off? I already know I will spend some nights to make this work :D

slomacuser

Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
Ok, finally working on 6100 PPC Mac. Used Petar's image made for Ron. Didn't work just from the image. I had to change extensions and control panels. Petar's image is a mess of diferent files :) I had to add some to make file sharing avialable and delete the Preferences folder did the magic. :)

Reactions: Byte Knight

Eric's Edge

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021

MINI QEMU guide for Windows 11 (etc) - host a System 7.1 Quadra 800 equivalent inside the QEMU emulator, so you can join the fun going on in #globaltalk via appletalk​

these are my notes on the TONS of help I received over the last days. Couldn't have figured this out on my own without stopping in frustration. thanks to all who helped (nulleric, Ian Scott, Ron, europlus, etc)

Past experience:
  • absolute 0 with QEMU (I learned it was a thing a week ago)
  • no knowledge about setting networks and virtual networks above the basic minimum level
  • I come "strong enough" from the Mac side by having had a SE/30 connected to globaltalk for days and ironed out issues on that side
  • one guide I've used at first to do all this was from here: https://www.emaculation.com/doku.php/m68k-qemu-on-windows but I still needed help on the network configuration side inside Windows 11 (thanks Ian Scott!)

Unsure steps:
  • Might need an install of SDL graphics on windows, who knows since I've used plenty of miscellaneous projects and hobby programs over the last 3 months
  • Port Forwarding to UDP port 387 was necessary to get the SE/30 to work on my home network, I'm guessing it's needed for QEMU as well. Right?
Still needed (as in, this is a need I have, it isn't necessary for this guide. think of it as a neat extra if we figured it out)
  • a way to access a FTP that I'm hosting somewhere on my local network (from either a modern PC using the python script ftpdlib, or from even a VINTAGE PC LOLz, like my weecee running MTCP's FTPSRV tool), from the emulated Mac in QEMU. I can do it from my SE/30 using Netscape 2.2 url bar FTP addresses, but not from the same browser inside of QEMU......
Officials steps:
  • YOU WILL NEED to request to be added to a list of people who can access the addresses of the network and be manually approved. Read this guide from @Mac84 fully https://marchintosh.com/globaltalk.html
  • QEMU's official website is this (has various builds for various platforms): https://www.qemu.org/download/
  • I just clicked on another link to get me to 64-bit executable for windows 11 here (it is linked from the above line's website): https://qemu.weilnetz.de/w64/ I got the qemu-w64-setup-20231224.exe there, there might be a newer version by the time you read this.
  • get a pre-installed set of volumes + quadra 800 rom in this file from europlus: https://www.icloud.com/iclouddrive/0e1bjIckqvSFbhMYCFBKuQFww#GlobalTalk-Setup-v1.0.3
  • europlus' instructions and ".command" file are set for linux usage, so do this to adapt this to Windows:
    • rename the .command file to .bat
    • add the emulator's folder to your System environment PATH variable
    • edit its content to use something like:

• note that I changed the nature of the -nic command completely, from vmnet provided in europlus' initial file, to tap in this edited version.
  • note the name of the network I put in bold in the above .bat file instructions
  • note that the backslashes that are used to put a long command on several lines have been replaced by the windows variant of ^.
  • Disk Jockey can be used to make new images (thanks Ron), make sure you select the BlueSCSI format https://diskjockey.onegeekarmy.eu/
    View attachment 15577
  • go to openvpn and get Windows 64-bit MSI installer for the TAP https://openvpn.net/community-downloads/ and install it
  • once installed go to Windows "View network connections" (ie typing that in the Start search bar) View attachment 15576
  • rename the TAP-Windows Adapter V9 to "TapQemu1" so that the batch file recognizes it when it launches QEMU later
  • ctrl-left click on both your regular internet providing network and this Qemu1 network so that they are both selected at the same time
  • right click on the selection and choose "Add to Bridge"
  • Launch QEMU by running your edited batch file
  • Deal with control panel MacTCP first. Use a new IP address in manual mode like you would normally on your network, use your regular physical router's gateway IP in "More..", reboot
  • Deal with control panel Network second, make sure EtherTalk built-in is selected
  • Open up the provided Router Manager and follow the instructions like seen above in this thread
  • (tip from Ron) TARDIS (the time sync app) doesn't actually seem to work well in QEMU... or gets stuck on the first server you sync with (even surviving clearing the PRAM)... so if you still have that in your europlus provided image, you can move it out of the system folder.
Thanks for this 1Bit. I'm setting up multiple instances of QEMU for a project I'm doing with HyperCard for VCF-MW.