Logic Board - Macintosh SE Reloaded

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
If @Branchus and/or @MacEffects commits to selling the SIMM sockets, I shall promptly remove Phoenix Engineering from my BOM and replace that link with theirs. I suppose one could, in theory, desolder the stock sockets, but the one's you sent to me, Kai, with the metal tabs are the ones to die for. Those are amazing, and the type everyone should have instead of those breakable tab versions.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Well people in the US could continue buying from pe-connectors, its just that we need distributors for the international purchasers. Perhaps it might also be worthwhile reaching out to show pe-connectors the market they're impacitng directly...?

Reactions: iPhil64

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Sorry, I misread the earlier post. I now see that Phoenix Enterprises does sell the SIMM sockets individually to customers in the US and Canada (with an unfortunate $30 minimum order), but they blatantly discriminate (for zero good reason that I can see) against anyone outside those two countries (requiring a $500 minimum order), which is unthinkable. Who does that? Seriously, what are they thinking?

I've lived in Japan since 1994. I am an American. I have often faced such extremely frustrating shipping discrimination from EBAY sellers, until I write and reason with them, and most of the time they suddenly are willing to sell to me when I tell them I am originally from the US, but it still leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I think people should be treated fairly regardless of the country they buy from, unless that country is under some kind of international sanctions.

$500 min. order for buyers outside North America? Sheesh.

Well, Kai, I agree that some kind of SIMM Socket solution needs to happen for the benefit who live outside North America, which includes yourself and a whole host of other good people who surely will want to do the SE Reloaded build.

iPhil64

Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
France
To add to what @JDW just said, even the tone of their answer was nearly rude. Just a list of requirements without any other word, not even a verb... Anyway.

I buy from everywhere in the world, from a large variety of sellers, I know that a minimum order can be required, just to reduce the apparent shipping costs. But $500 minimum is nearly an insult. BTW...

I've just asked my brother (a French guy now American, based in Seattle) if he could also procure a number of them and ship to me. I could resell in Europe through my company by the way. (@Kai Robinson : I'm still purchasing yours ! :) ).

Reactions: JDW

iPhil64

Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
France
@Kai Robinson Quick question, for L2 and L3 (the 33 micro-H toroidal coils), do we have more technical information ? They could be easily replaced by modern ones. Digikey references at least 18 of them. Now we would need more details to be able to order, like test frequency, nominal current, etc...

Reactions: tmtrains

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
@Kai Robinson Quick question, for L2 and L3 (the 33 micro-H toroidal coils), do we have more technical information ? They could be easily replaced by modern ones. Digikey references at least 18 of them. Now we would need more details to be able to order, like test frequency, nominal current, etc...
For the value, yes, that's easy - but getting something that's the correct pinout...that's harder.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
@iPhil64
I was looking through your photo album again today. Do the axial capacitors fit your Lead-Bender Tool?

1658197043370.png

iPhil64

Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
France
@iPhil64
I was looking through your photo album again today. Do the axial capacitors fit your Lead-Bender Tool?
Well, yes, barely. It was really a tight fit but at least helped center the bends a bit. I also avoided to make a 90° bent, as the largest section of the tool is still slightly smaller (17 mm) than the width of PCB holes approx. 19 mm), so that would cause issues when pushing the caps. (on my photos, you could spot some of them which are really not perfect). I was looking on some sites to see if they are more modern tools, but I guess SMD is now so widespread that anything through-hole related is nearly vintage.

I will look to see if I have a remaining capacitor of a similar size (all the ones from the builds are gone of course :) ) so I can make a photo.

Fun fact : I purchased this tool 40 years ago when I started to solder boards from my Apple //e at the age of... 9...
So useful to make the builds look cleaner.

iPhil64

Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
France
@Kai Robinson
Quick question for the U10D 15.6672 MHz XTAL oscillator, how accurate does the frequency need to be ?
Clearly, I don't see vendors with this frequency nowadays, so was wondering how 15.7, for instance, could impact the stability ?

On the Bomarc diagrams, the quoted frequency is even 15.728640 MHz. so I guess there is some room for tolerance.

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Ah - that's because the blue version was before i updated the silkscreen - either work, but the MC3488 is NLA and the SN75150 is the modern replacement.

Reactions: iPhil64

iPhil64

Tinkerer
Apr 5, 2022
France
As shown in my BOM on page 4, U11D is the VIA chip (p/n: W65C22N6TPG-14 and wickedly expensive!), and U4D is p/n: SN75150P. Both are shown in my Mouser Cart -- a link to which is in my BOM on page 6. That chip info is 100% accurate regardless of SE Reloaded board silkscreen markings.
My bad, I meant U4D, referring to the two variants, and yes... in fact I did have both ! So I can have a chip respecting the silk screen on each board.

UTSource chips on their way.

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I need to post off those SIMM sockets this week, I'm doing a lot of interviews at the moment which means my ability to go out to the post office is a little hindered.

• Love
Reactions: JDW and iPhil64

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Well, yes, barely. It was really a tight fit but at least helped center the bends a bit. I also avoided to make a 90° bent, as the largest section of the tool is still slightly smaller (17 mm) than the width of PCB holes approx. 19 mm), so that would cause issues when pushing the caps. (on my photos, you could spot some of them which are really not perfect). I was looking on some sites to see if they are more modern tools...
This 4pc set on AliExpress might cover the axial caps, but frustratingly, all the makers of those lead bending tools do not put exact measurements for buyers to ponder! I therefore cannot determine if the body length of the axial caps will fit, or if the diameter of those axial caps will present a problem when used with the tools.

1658277460670.png

This 8pc set on AliExpress is by far the most comprehensive I've found to date, but alas, not only is there no measurement info whatsoever, it's 3D printed too, and we therefore cannot be assured of quality consistency or exactness in size.

1658277551509.png

Now these guys based on the US have a fine 3pc set that I am very temped to buy (especially because shipping to Japan is reasonable), to see if it fits everything in the SE Reloaded project just fine...

1658277626930.png

Most of the lead benders will work on the resistors and 0.1uF capacitors. I just want a kit that also bends the axial caps too. Of course, if you watch my SE Reloaded videos, you will see that I am pretty good doing it by hand, but I still have another board's worth of parts, and I think a lead forming tool would make the process go faster and be more accurate too.

Kai Robinson

Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I wonder if someone in the 3D Printing subsection might make one of these that's more suitable for the depth of axial electrolytics?

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I wonder if someone in the 3D Printing subsection might make one of these that's more suitable for the depth of axial electrolytics?
Kai, if someone skilled in 3D could make a single, high-quality tool that can fit all the required resistors, 0.1uF capacitors, inductors AND those axial capacitors too (for SE Reloaded), that would be the lead-bending tool to die for! 🤩