Logic Board - Macintosh SE Reloaded

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
OK again - to clarify - the ADB chips are pre-programmed PIC16CR54's. I made an adapter board to use the newer PLCC ADB in place of the DIP part (which is only used on the SE). @Branchus has used one of these adapters in an SE and it worked fine. The adapter PCB is open source, you just need a replacement ADB chip from UTSource.
Kai, thank you for that important clarification, especially because your Github page here does not clearly state the chips that you need must be special pre-programmed chips that are to be acquired from the place like UT source.

In an older PM, you had previously told me the following...

So for the SWIM, it's fixed logic, no programming is involved, it's a custom ASIC. Here's the *MASSIVE* Die image taken by John McMaster: https://siliconpr0n.org/map/apple/344s0061-a/single/apple_344s0061-a_mz_mit20x.jpg

For the ADB, this is a PIC16CR54 Microcontroller, but a mask ROM version - 512 bytes of code were pre-programmed at the Microchip factory, directly etched onto the silicon, specifically for apple. This pre-CUDA/EGRET ADB control is done by bit-banging. Here's the ROM code hard etched into the silicon: https://siliconpr0n.org/map/apple/pic16cr54-adb/single/apple_pic16cr54-adb_s2-6_mit20x2_rom.jpg

And here's the whole MCU including the ROM: https://siliconpr0n.org/map/apple/pic16cr54-adb/single/apple_pic16cr54-adb_s2-6_mit20x2.jpg

Some of this is courtesy of @jgrip - i sent him a lot of 'dead' chips

But I did not glean the right information from that in order to come to the conclusion of what you said today, which is that the PLCC chip needed for the ADB replacement PCB (on your Github page) must have been already programmed. That implies that the two chips you very graciously sent to me in the past should be pre-programmed, such that I only need to solder one on to test it, correct?

1659753349984.png

Probably so because I faintly see the "APPLE" name printed on the top of the upper chip in the photo above, which gives strong evidence that it is pre-programmed! Wow! All this time, I was thinking I needed a programmer for that!

The problem for other people then is how to find the right page on UT Source. Searching for PIC16CR54 yielded nothing but blank chips. Searching for "344S0440-B" yielded no results. Ahah! The real part number is 342, not 344! I see that printed on the chip now. Unfortunately, that leads only to a UT Source Inquiry page here, but at least it provides some hope.

I have updated my BOM with this new information.

Thanks!

Reactions: fred1212 and retr01

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Many thanks Kai makes sense now. Is the adaptor board being sold by anyone? I'm in Oz and Branchus seems to be off line atm regarding recapamac. Cheers

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Quick reply no parts unfortunately. Looks like I have to find another board which is becoming costly damn

fred1212

Tinkerer
Jul 27, 2022
Has anyone reverse engineered these? What other macs is this chip in? is the ADB chip in LCII suitable?

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Hey @JDW, what happened to the second chip? That poor chip seems to have a dislocated leg. 😢 Time for first aid? 😷🚑🏥🩹

Not sure. It was like that when I got it. But it probably can be straightened without issue.

Now that I know the chip is pre-programmed, I need to build the board, then test it. I can then report back here as to the result.

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I just released a video review of the Speedy Bends, axial component lead forming tools. I also updated my BOM with the exact Speedy Bend tool and slot number you need for every passive component which can use the tools! While made of plastic, these are quality tools which surprisingly are NOT made in China. Naturally, the kit is useful for any thru-hole project which uses axial lead components.

Reactions: rikerjoe and retr01

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
You know you're getting successful on YouTube when foreign language SPAM hits seconds or minutes after a video debut...

1660362338192.png

You'd think that they'd use German names instead of Vladimir and Martinez.
Anyway, as you can see, I like to have fun with the spammers before I delete them.

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
I just released a video review of the Speedy Bends, axial component lead forming tools. I also updated my BOM with the exact Speedy Bend tool and slot number you need for every passive component which can use the tools! While made of plastic, these are quality tools which surprisingly are NOT made in China. Naturally, the kit is useful for any thru-hole project which uses axial lead components.

Ooh I need this. I've been doing hand bending for axial for so long now, it gets tiring after a while.

• Love
Reactions: retr01 and JDW

YMK

Active Tinkerer
Nov 8, 2021
You know you're getting successful on YouTube when foreign language SPAM hits seconds or minutes after a video debut...

Congratulations on 5K+ subscribers! Looks like your count is accelerating. :)

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Congratulations on 5K+ subscribers! Looks like your count is accelerating. :)
Thank you very much! Here are the latest YouTube Stats...

1660372586814.png

"Your estimated revenue" doesn't exist because I don't allow Ads on my videos. Even at 5K subscribers, Ads wouldn't bring me anything but a few measly dollars per month, and that tiny sum wouldn't be worth my time needed to report that revenue on my annual taxes, especially because I'm burdened with having to report taxes to two different governments. Keeping them off probably has hindered the growth of my channel, but I don't really care. I think not having Ads make my videos a much more pleasant viewing experience. Maybe if Ads paid $100 or more to my channel per month, then and only then it might be worth switching them on, but for now, I'm just very grateful to those extremely kind souls who have made donations.

I am also humbled by all the new subscribers. Not sure why the subscriber count is increasing more rapidly because I've not been doing anything too different on my channel than I have been. Doing my current best is the best I can do, so I shall continue on with that, including my revisit of MacSD alongside BlueSCSI. But my Color Classic Stereo Mod video will come before that.

All said, the SE Reloaded build was extremely educational and fun, and I wish @iPhil64 the best as he continues his build. I hope many more people will give it a try.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Not sure why the subscriber count is increasing more rapidly because I've not been doing anything too different on my channel than I have been. Doing my current best is the best I can do, so I shall continue on with that

A lot of heads are turning. Your videos are straightforward, honest, clean, and well done. You are right to keep doing your best and press forward. :)

I LOVE your videos @JDW! So, I am sure many appreciate your videos, too.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Here are more stats from just now, as pertaining to the Speedy Bends video...

1660451835382.png

Lost 1 subscriber.
Lower than normal performance and view time.
Lower number of views than normal.

I kind of expected that, but I still wanted to try to do some shorter videos just to prove to the younger generation that I can cater to their limited attention spans! :) Even so, it's pretty clear that my channel benefits most from longer and more detailed videos.

I'm currently enjoying Japan's summer holiday time, so I won't be doing any new video work for a few days yet. But hopefully when Philippe gets back from his trip and starts posting again, his experience at building two boards can help stimulate more interest in the SE Reloaded project. The part I like most about SE Reloaded, as compared to something like Mac Classic Reloaded, is the fact the SE board is thru-hole. It's significant. The more I do SMD soldering the less I like it. But thru-hole is something that is pleasant, and it stimulates my brain in all the right ways.

Kudos to @Kai Robinson for having made this great SE Reloaded project possible!

• Love
Reactions: Kai Robinson

Kai Robinson

TinkerDifferent Board President 2023
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Worthing, UK
Luckily - with the Classic reloaded - I'm now at the stage where both sides can be pre-populated with most passives and off the shelf components, just needing you to fit the custom chips and RAM.

• Love
Reactions: bakkus and JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
These ones were purchased from DigiKey. The Amazon kit was not available for me in France which is why I purchased them from here (and I mad a mistake on the U4E one... not the right pin count !). They were definitely not the cheapest. They are certainly available on Mouser.

@iPhil64
I found this Amazon kit (also on Amazon Japan), which has round holes, but I don't think it is gold plated. It should be because the price is expensive at $75!!!

Can you post either a Cart or a complete list of all the socket part numbers you purchased? (Without the mistakes, of course.)

@Kai Robinson is right, double-wipe is easier to remove. Now at the same time, the contact is definitely to as good. I just acquired an AppleSqueezer GS for my Apple 2GS, and Apple did use double-wipe sockets back in the days. The accelerator card would simply not stay in the socket. Once changed, the fit and contact are perfect, and yes.... much harder to remove.

I guess that means the word "to" in your post above should read "not." :)

Well, if I was putting an accelerator card into a socket, I too would not use double wipe. But when we are talking about DIP ICs that are 40-pin or smaller, dual wipe sockets seem to work fine. At least, they are still working on my SE Reloaded build. Even so, I would like to have your list of round-hole sockets for the sake of helping other people find "the best sockets" to hold the chips in more permanently.

... As for the filters, they do fit quite nicely on the red motherboard (see below), but the leads can not go through the blue PCB holes, which are so slightly smaller.
View attachment 6765

The Lead Spacing on the motherboard PCB is 8mm but your coils are 20mm. I assume you bent one of the leads with pliers to make both leads fit? That would me the coils would be standing up on their leads. To prevent movement and relieve stress on those leads, did you use hot-glue or similar under the coils?

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I’ve just released a new GIVEAWAY video that I hope will encourage some of you to get excited about this fabulous project as I am! Details about how to Enter are given in the video and in the text description. It will run for about one month and then the winner will be chosen. Good luck!

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com