Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Yeah, I figured it would be too complex. Maybe if it was a common model, but the 5300ce probably sold as many units in the US as the 550c did in Japan. They only show up on eBay every couple of months as well.

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
@Androda I might be able to come up with a cheap, easy to acquire source of connectors using other more common cables. Would that be useful in for reconstructing of a 5300ce cable since it would make the situation less "dicey" since the rate of success would be less critical?

I should know for sure within the next couple of weeks.

Last edited:

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
@Androda I might be able to come up with a cheap, easy to acquire source of connectors using other more common cables. Would that be useful in for reconstructing of a 5300ce cable since it would make the situation less "dicey" since the rate of success would be less critical?

I should know for sure within the next couple of weeks.
I guess it depends on how common those other cables are, and how easily the connectors can be moved. Regardless of where the connectors come from, they have to be identical to the originals.

Reactions: retr01

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
Main issue I see if that you’d go through the hours of work to do it and then sell at most a dozen of them. You’ve got a small subset of people with a 5300ce, then a smaller subset who’ve had their hinges snap, then the smaller subset of those that have had a torn cable. Not like the eMate where the hinges are murdering the cables leaving thousands in need.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yeah. And those flex cables need the correct pathways to have the right connections. Computer configuration varies, and so will the internal links.

bwinkel67

New Tinkerer
Jun 1, 2022
Update to my original video on page 1.

It’s been 11 months since I baked the panel on the 170. I had the machine on for 30 minutes and it exhibited the exact same minuscule amount of tunneling as it did directly after baking. No worse.
I know others have claimed this is a medium term fix at best, but unsure what that means exactly in terms of time. Seems good so far.

First photo is just at boot
View attachment 10929

Second photo is after 30 mins
View attachment 10930
Mine has been working now for about 8 months since I baked it (4-5 hours at 100 celsius) and I have been leaving it on for up to 8 hours and no ill effects. The baking left no traces of the old tunnel vision.

The attached pictures shows the before...

PB180.jpg

The after is just a normal picture and you can check out the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1SPUCgOwE0

Last edited:
Reactions: 3lectr1c

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
I would say that is a definitive fix. The only thing that needs to be done is for people to test less time so there is less risk to other components. The less time things can be exposed to excessive heat, the better. The minimum amount of time for correction essentially needs to be determined. 4-5 hours may be the actual minimum, but without more testing, there is no way to know.

bwinkel67

New Tinkerer
Jun 1, 2022
I did try for a lower temperature for 9 hours (85 - 90 celsius) and it had zero impact....my panel tunneled at the same time interval. I saw another YouTuber (channel name: i80386sx) try it at the higher 100 celcius for 4+ hours and his worked, plus he had a 6 months follow up video where it was still good. So I then decided to redo at the higher temperature. My guess is that if 9 hours didn't work at close to boiling then likely the 100 ceclius is doing something different.

Specifically with the PowerBook LCD's you only put the panel in (no circuit board) so there isn't much that can get damaged unless the heat is put too high. I used two pizza stones in a gas stove to keep the temp from varying too much. Had a thermometer that made sure we didn't get too hot. The timing would be more critical if the panel includes some plastic or a circuit board...i80386sx had a panel with circuit board and he wrapped some parts with aluminum foil to protect it, which worked.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Hello all, I hope that I am not breaking any rules with posting this responce here, but I am new to this scene (I registered yesterday), but I was reading through this thread after I got myself a Powerbook 170 with what appears to be really bad Tunnel vision, and I was thinking would why has no one just looked at getting a replacement panel and harvesting the glass layer, which from what I can seem to understand is the part that had the issues with the adhesive failing, and swapping it over to the Powerbook's screen. So I decided to do some digging, and I ended up getting so close to a result that seemed as though it would match, but alas they were either the wrong size, or the wrong resolution. Yet, I persisted and I continued and ended up coming across something that seems to be exactly what I was after.

So I come before you all now with this proposal, to go along side the baking at 100⁰C for 5 hours (or around about that). I would like to see if swapping the LCD glass layer would work with this or if it would work as a drop in replacement.

Screenshot_20231030_114354_Chrome.jpg

I am hoping that this is helpful to the community, I just want to make it clear that I do not have the financial means to try this out, but if someone else can either confirm or deny this theory, that would be great.

I also want to if it would not be possible separate the layers of the LCD panel glass, and replace the old faulty adhesive with new stuff that is more reliable, and also able to seal better? This is just a thought that I have had that is all.

I hope that some of what I have provided is somewhat helpful. Would love to have some feedback regarding this find, and also in regards to my other thought idea.

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
There’s no chance that would work unfortunately. The original screen is made by Hosiden and will use a completely different method of connecting the glass to the electronics than that Panasonic panel.

TheBasement

Tinkerer
Mar 2, 2022
Launceston, Tasmania
youtube.com
I am hoping that this is helpful to the community, I just want to make it clear that I do not have the financial means to try this out, but if someone else can either confirm or deny this theory, that would be great.

$450 delivered seems like a fair chunk of cash you want someone else to pay to explore your idea. I doubt anyone here has pockets that deep. Baking works, I’m sticking with that since it’s essentially free.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
$450 delivered seems like a fair chunk of cash you want someone else to pay to explore your idea. I doubt anyone here has pockets that deep. Baking works, I’m sticking with that since it’s essentially free.
To be clear I wasn't asking someone else to pay for the item to then test it out for me, that is why I said "but if someone else can either confirm or deny this theory, that would be great".

I fully understand that it is a lot of money, and that is why I asked what I did, I was hoping that someone would have the knowledge to say with confidence that this would not work, I was not asking someone to buy the item. That would just be both selfish and stupid. 😄😄😄

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
There’s no chance that would work unfortunately. The original screen is made by Hosiden and will use a completely different method of connecting the glass to the electronics than that Panasonic panel.
Ok so if the glass swap won't work, can I ask what about the other theoretical idea I had, about the separation of the layers and replacing the adhesive. Would that be a feasible possibility. 🤔

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Ok so I just thought that, aren't these vintage powerbook riddled with brittle plastics? Or are the powerbook 1xx series better that the ones that are really bad? I am just asking because I don't want to go ahead and try taking it apart and then just have it practically crumble in my hands. Is there a video with clear and detailed step by step footage on the process of disassembling a powerbook 170? I just don't want to break it and have to resort to using super glue and baking soda for repairs. I am already dealing with another device that has had to have a ludicrous number of those sorts of repairs. Thank you for you help.

Cyclone740

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
All 90s laptops pretty much are brittle. These included. I’ve been meaning to make a guide at some point but I haven’t just yet.
Thanks for that I had a feeling that they would be brittle, but I was just hoping that they weren't so brittle that I would easily just put my fingers through it when I go to pick it up (like a toshiba satellite that I had/have). How hard would you say it is to disassemble it in order to clean the mother board and repair the screen?

I was also wanting to know if there was a particular setup that I should use for the baking process? Like would a standard convection oven be OK to use or do I need to use an air fryer? Also should I be suspending the LCD in the air or what should I do? I remember reading on here that someone (can't remember who exactly) used chopsticks, but I am just worried that the wood will burn. Would a mesh-like oven tray work better, or would the hot metal damage the screen? Next, how do i remove the electronics leaving only the glass? Lastly, should I preheat the LCD and slowly cool it down after the 5hrs or so mark, to prevent cracking and thermal stresses? Or is that not a worry?

Thank you so much in advanced, I am really hoping to get as much help and advice as I possibly can.

I also just had a thought, would sealing the LCD glass with something like nail polish or something else be worth while trying straight after the baking process? Or is it something that has already been fund to be ineffective at resealing the glass?

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
For the question of disassembly - the 100 series PowerBooks are very easy to take apart if you know how to do it right. The biggest worries are the display hinge standoffs failing when you unscrew them, in which case getting the display apart can suddenly get tough. Besides that though, I really haven't had any issues.

Reactions: Cyclone740