TwiSlot PCI Riser and ComSlot2 NIC repro in widened CS riser form factor

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Yep, thanks! It shows the flange reinforcing/supporting the fan side of the PSU can. Does air enter the surround at the top and then is exhausted out that vent at the back of the surround? Hinkiness if so!

I see a nice chunk of the 150 W available power never makes it down the supply cable to the TAM CPU. That amplifier board for the sub looks overdone to the max. Does the TAM sub sound all that much better than that in the 6500? I sure hope so.

Power hogging components of 140 W TAM PSU:
Sub's Amplifier Board
Sub
Powered(?) stereo woofer pair and tweeter?
CPU unit's speaker amplifiers?
LCD
LCD controller board.

They should really have used the 6400's 220 W PSU. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Thanks!

Interesting, but don't think it's the Beige G3 DT PSU, as it's listed at 230 W maximum continuous in the ServiceSource. I'll have to pull my 6500 PSU apart to compare the innards to those pics.

Makes no sense to me, but maybe Apple really did do a custom PSU for the TAM? If so, my PicoPSU supercharger notion might be the only reasonable line of development? Especially so if you cannot open that base unit without damage. That thing is a ridiculous, all but hermetically sealed kluge.

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
TAM-PCI-Riser-1.jpg

TAM-PCI-Riser-0.jpg

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Trying to keep things as simple as possible, I sourced a six inch right angle FW M->F pigtail cable to match to the 12 inch RA USB M-F pigtail cable on hand.

Looking at my original TwinSlot Riser setup, I'd figured a setback increase was in order. Experimentation proved that an additional .3" of setback would be required in order to make use of readily available, off the shelf cables for adherence to KISS principle.

Here are pics of the 6360/TAM backplane template lashup, I'm very pleased:

-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-Cables-Exit-Vestigial-PDF-Backplane-6360-2p.jpg

Cables exit thru the vestigial PDS Slot access panel. Routing the cables out thru the TAM's CSII Card panel will be much easier.

-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-Cables-Exit-Vestigial-PDF-Panel-6360-2p.jpg

Cable routing: top right oblique view. The second USB slot is occupied by a soldertail plug nubbin, no need for that approach now.

-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-Cable-Exit-TAM-2p.jpg

Cable routing: top left oblique backside view shows TAM template where cables will exit the CSII panel opening.

Guess pic limit reached, TBC.

Last edited:

Trash80toG4

Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-Cables-Exit-Vestigial-PDF-Panel-6360-Top-2p.jpg

Top View of same, 6360 is great, can still use the CSII NIC along with the additional PCI TwinSlot gambit. A USB WiFi Thimamajig attached to a powered hub, fed from the pigtail should be something like 10% better throughput than the CSII 10bT card, no?

-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-Cable-Run-TAM-Path-2p.jpg

TAM Tent Template shows the CSII backplane access panel, far easier to rout USB/FW400 pigtails thru there, though not difficult at all in my 6360 Testbed. Project is directly aimed at my 6360 and the AIO versions of Alchemy and Gazelle machines. Testbed status for TAM is just icing on the cake and a TAM fanatic clickbait teaser. 😬

-TwiSlot-TEMPOtrio-6360-Top-Right-Oblique-2p.jpg

Overall view, note the angled "sides" of the Twinslot Riser. It now fits withing the 10cm x 10cm SEEED square! :D

To the TAM crowd: can someone measure the from the inside of the backplane to left inside of the FatBack setup, please? My TEMPOtrio measures 8 1/16" across, but it's probably the largest card anyone might wish to put in a TAM? My Tango2 is tiny by comparison.

DevNote says Gazelle machines (TAM) has ATA-2 (ATA-33?) interface, trio has ATA-133 (ATA4?) which was why I snagged a pair eons ago. Now that their bugginess in Gazelle has been subdued, the 6360 will have a Gazelle board upgrade.

Hoping an ATA-133 RAID array will make a huge improvement in performance. How might that compare to using a SATA card?

Last edited: