What I've received as of late...

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Traded the 40MB drive that came in my LCIII to @jdcurry over at 68kMLA for a BMOW ROMinator II. Disabled the RAM check, so I no longer have to wait a minute for my IIci to display video at time of boot.

Reactions: retr01

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Picked up another Apple 3.5 Drive, which needed an eject motor to be fully functional. Also more recently received a M0116 keyboard, Kensington TurboMouse 3.0 ADB version, and yet another 230MB Quantum drive.
IMG_9107.JPG

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
A working late 2011 A1286 MBP... Needed something that had working audio and wasn't flipping out all the time, like the mid-2010 machine was. Already seems more stable, even though it's running the same hard drive that the mid-2010 machine had in it.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
A couple MDD G4 machines for $50. A dual 1.25GHz FW400 machine and a single 1GHz FW800 machine. Gave the second one to James1095 over on the other forums. Kept the older one, since it runs OS 9 without needing the macos9lives patches added to the installation. It also had a Radeon 9000 Pro video card, which was the main reason I wanted it. Let me do this:

Finally use the A1038 Cinema Display I conquested at the beginning of last month with the G4 DA.

Plan for the MDD is to set it up as a secondary bridge Mac, using the 80GB drive from the G4 DA. Will need to get another Radeon 9000 or maybe something newer, since I suspect it'll spend most of the time in OS X.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Met up with @AppaloosaMac from the 68kMLA forums in Wenatchee today.

Took home these items:
IIgs Woz Limited Edition machine that's donating its case to my current IIgs's guts
A M1298 16" monitor
Three Centris/Quadra 650 machines in various stages of repair
A Quadra 950 that just needs a CD-ROM bezel and a 2.1GB hard drive to replace the 230 I popped into it, replacing the Fujitsu 5.25" lead weight
Three keyboards and an ADB mouse.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Have a couple of machines from the AppleFool site now. An SE dual FDHD, and a IIfx. SE came to me as a 1/52 configuration. Now a 4/160, like the SE SuperDrive I owned last year and early this year. IIfx was an 8/160 configuration. Now has a 500MB drive, and has matching FDHD drives, whereas, before it had one FDHD, and one 800K drive.

The IIfx. Used the Apple 8•24 video card that I'd installed in my IIci to make it work with the M1298 monitor, since the RasterOps card installed in it was a 640x480 only card. It will be upgraded to 68MB in November.

Reactions: eric and JDW

cjsebes

Tinkerer
Oct 22, 2021
John, that IIfx is gorgeous! No doubt that needs a place to be proudly displayed.

I've also added to my collection. In July, I was gifted a 20th Anniversary Mac by a former employer. It came with boxes and almost all of the accessories and parts. I think he knows that it's going to be well taken care of and will have to pried out of my cold, dead hands. I works really nicely, but the display starts an occasional jiggle after it's been on for a while. Gotta find someone who can find the bad caps, which is likely the issue. I hope.

A month later, a local Mac repair store announced that they were going to be downsizing. Part of the downsizing was closing up their storefront to move to a smaller office. Their store was adorned with slews of vintage and slightly vintage Apples. They ran a liquidation sale where just about every machine on display in the store was $25 each. I picked up a black MacBook C2D, a PowerMac 9600/350, and a PowerBook 180. Not included in that part of the sale was a Mac Cube with a power supply and speakers that I picked up for $150. I have yet to see if everything works. The black MacBook runs well, albeit with a dead battery. The 180 has a failed hard drive. I have yet to fire up the 9600 or the Cube.

I have a couple of other purchases, including an indigo clamshell, a Pismo, and a Quadra 700. At this point, I'm seriously considering building a website to showcase all of them.

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
John, that IIfx is gorgeous! No doubt that needs a place to be proudly displayed.

I've also added to my collection. In July, I was gifted a 20th Anniversary Mac by a former employer. It came with boxes and almost all of the accessories and parts. I think he knows that it's going to be well taken care of and will have to pried out of my cold, dead hands. I works really nicely, but the display starts an occasional jiggle after it's been on for a while. Gotta find someone who can find the bad caps, which is likely the issue. I hope.

A month later, a local Mac repair store announced that they were going to be downsizing. Part of the downsizing was closing up their storefront to move to a smaller office. Their store was adorned with slews of vintage and slightly vintage Apples. They ran a liquidation sale where just about every machine on display in the store was $25 each. I picked up a black MacBook C2D, a PowerMac 9600/350, and a PowerBook 180. Not included in that part of the sale was a Mac Cube with a power supply and speakers that I picked up for $150. I have yet to see if everything works. The black MacBook runs well, albeit with a dead battery. The 180 has a failed hard drive. I have yet to fire up the 9600 or the Cube.

I have a couple of other purchases, including an indigo clamshell, a Pismo, and a Quadra 700. At this point, I'm seriously considering building a website to showcase all of them.
Yes, building a website to showcase your macs sounds like great fun 😅

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I see the Titanium design language in pretty much all of the new Macs (and other brands as well). The Titanium is like the great great grand dad of portable design from iPhone 4 to 14-15 to the new MBP. I see the Titanium in so much of what we consider forward thinking, functional design today. That's the biggest reason I have for wanting one for my collection. In 2001, I was 23/24 and using a fat win laptop built for a grandpa, so the powerbook was pure unaffordable technological sex to me. Nowadays, I reflect on its design and what it brought to the table and how impactful it was even on well established design languages of the era like Sony for example. Everyone ultimately emulated that design language moving forward in multiple ways and still do - definitely worth hunting a clean specimen down for the collection. The Jobs/Ives era was just insanely good design. I feel blessed to have lived in a time when I could go to a BestBuy or CompUSA (and later on an Applestore) and see the technological art/innovation that duo created hit the market in real time. Insanely good.

And with this @Volvo242GT sorry for hijacking your thread for selfish nostalgic purposes. :cool:

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
I see the Titanium design language in pretty much all of the new Macs (and other brands as well). The Titanium is like the great great grand dad of portable design from iPhone 4 to 14-15 to the new MBP. I see the Titanium in so much of what we consider forward thinking, functional design today. That's the biggest reason I have for wanting one for my collection. In 2001, I was 23/24 and using a fat win laptop built for a grandpa, so the powerbook was pure unaffordable technological sex to me. Nowadays, I reflect on its design and what it brought to the table and how impactful it was even on well established design languages of the era like Sony for example. Everyone ultimately emulated that design language moving forward in multiple ways and still do - definitely worth hunting a clean specimen down for the collection. The Jobs/Ives era was just insanely good design. I feel blessed to have lived in a time when I could go to a BestBuy or CompUSA (and later on an Applestore) and see the technological art/innovation that duo created hit the market in real time. Insanely good.

And with this @Volvo242GT sorry for hijacking your thread for selfish nostalgic purposes. :cool:
@Certificate of Excellence No worries about the threadjack.

BTW: in 2001, I was 25/26, using my original PowerMac 7100/80... Had just gone back to the Apple II world. Built myself my dream //e machine. The one I desired back in 1988. Early //e with enhanced ROMs, AE RAMWorks II with 1MB RAM, SuperSerial II card, two disk ][ drives with their controller card, two Apple 3.5 drives being run off a Laser UDC, AppleMouse IIe with card, AE Timemaster H.O. clock card, Color Monitor IIe, Kensington System Saver, and a CH Products FlightStick. Everything was reasonably priced in that time period.

-J

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
@Certificate of Excellence No worries about the threadjack.

BTW: in 2001, I was 25/26, using my original PowerMac 7100/80... Had just gone back to the Apple II world. Built myself my dream //e machine. The one I desired back in 1988. Early //e with enhanced ROMs, AE RAMWorks II with 1MB RAM, SuperSerial II card, two disk ][ drives with their controller card, two Apple 3.5 drives being run off a Laser UDC, AppleMouse IIe with card, AE Timemaster H.O. clock card, Color Monitor IIe, Kensington System Saver, and a CH Products FlightStick. Everything was reasonably priced in that time period.

-J
Earlier beige Mac stuff, while I played around with 7-8 and MacPaint at computer stores in the 90s, my parents would not pay the Apple tax, so I grew up with my trusty and beloved DOS 2.6 C64, then into a win95 486 around 94, so had little perceived need thus desire for beige Macs. My first immersive Mac experience was literally sitting down next to my buddy for late night coffee who plopped his new laptop down on the table and seeing a Titanium powerbook g4 running OSX for the first time. That really caught my attention. Of course it would be years later until I could actually afford and would buy my first 2nd hand Mac; a first gen 24" Intel white iMac running Tiger. But yeah man, technological lust the second I laid eyes on that powerbook and have wanted one since.

Volvo242GT

Tinkerer
Feb 7, 2022
Currently Duvall, WA
Just after my previous post, added a Mac II programmer's switch assembly to the IIfx. Didn't come with one.

In November, picked up an Apple active SCSI terminator, in hopes of not needing to worry about the black terminator needed by certain IIfx boards.

Last month, picked up a nicer IIgs Woz edition machine with a junk board. Swapped case plastics over. Got a nice looking IIgs now. Also conquested three Apple IIgs floppy disks, four Macintosh microphones for non-plaintalk machines, and received @JeffC's mid-2010 Mac Mini from him.

Tomorrow, hope to pick up a Radius PrecisionColor Pro 24xk that I bought from the commanderscott eBay seller. Will be nice having a video card that will drive my M1298 monitor with 24-bit color.