A takky Mac…..

Trash80toG4

Active Tinkerer
Apr 1, 2022
Bermuda Triangle, NC USA
Very nice. Love the mounting clips, does the board slide out vertically?

The right angle alignment for an "L" configuration looks great. But that second pic has me wondering about angling the board far enough to the rear to allow you to retain the FDD? Looks easy enough to test fit using triangular side extensions on your prototype chassis if it looks looks OK just holding it there?

Last edited:
Reactions: wottle

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Hi, thanks a lot!
Well, the board slides in from the back
Then is locked with the clips.
It wont go anywhere anymore and this works really nice.

Moving the board backwards /angled could work to create space for a floppydrive, but see no real need for that.

For now the original FDD en HDD/CD (scsi)…..these will go, but still can be used, installed temporarely when needed.
The internal scsi (CD) can possibly also be made externally available.
I may need some suitable connectors for that.
The floppy slot in the case gets the HDD - compact flashcard- (as a floppy model) and maybe the IR led. There is also the gap used for volume wheel, what can be used for this.

Looking promissing😇

greetings, Chris.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
update!

I did modify here and there my original trial files, to the initial experience with the plywood prototype.

Anyhow-anyway…as a few mentioned here, the main correction is I did level up the base mounting plate by 15 mm
That would give cables & connectors more space.
Due to that the connectorshield in the back has become more specious too.
And thats for me the main reason, as it would then also fit the Classic I & II.

Next I hope to finish the CRT glass mount.
Ive added two brackets tot the “CRT” that can be combined with the frontpanel, what makes it an easy Installation. (like the original)

78C58AC8-8EFF-4909-88B0-A0DA990E39BD.jpeg

Njoy!

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
update!

I did modify here and there my original trial files, to the initial experience with the plywood prototype.

Anyhow-anyway…as a few mentioned here, the main correction is I did level up the base mounting plate by 15 mm
That would give cables & connectors more space.
Due to that the connectorshield in the back has become more specious too.
And thats for me the main reason, as it would then also fit the Classic I & II.

Next I hope to finish the CRT glass mount.
Ive added two brackets tot the “CRT” that can be combined with the frontpanel, what makes it an easy Installation. (like the original)

View attachment 5788
Njoy!
I would love a .STL file of this chassis frame to remix.

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Hi!
Glad you appreciate it.

No need for angled connectors/adapters.
Maybe only the bulky ones, like the scsi.
If all works out well, I will create a SE 30 version 😇
I see the need for that….

As for the CRT glass, I‘ve drawn up a new frame, I route from alu sheet next. (3D print is only for testfitting…..)
9C29B822-8550-45B5-A65D-C1F0687DCCF6.jpeg

Then I also need to fix up redo the resin inside
Did not find the time for that last week.
Hopefully more comming weekend.
No hurry, just steady progress👍

This should make up for a nice original looking LCD assembly
…..🍀

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
@-SE40-! Did you sell the poor SE/30 to Micro$0ft? 😲 🙈:cry: (Bill's evil cackle could be heard in the distant background)

Now, back to the present day (and reality). Yes, the screen is dimmer. Have you tried adjusting the LCD screen to use a vivid setting (or changing it to be more vivid) to see if it is more appropriate through the stock glass? 🧐

It would be fantastic to utilize the brightness dial by wiring a couple of wires to a pico to tell the LCD to adjust its brightness. 😀

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The dial could be a control for the LCD's OSD menu. Use a modern dial with a click option to select the choice on the OSD menu. Program the pico or whatever small board to communicate to the LCD by learning from the LCD's menu commands or remote.

Reactions: -SE40-