BlueSCSI on Macintosh Portable

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
It also depends on whether people want an update.

Based on all my investigation, there's nothing wrong with the RAM card. It's performing exactly as it should.

All these side effects of increased overhead due to memory management and the bug in CPU wait states are from things that are not necessarily under my direct control.
Yeah I follow. And I’m sure most people don’t even notice. I didn’t. The only reason I noticed was because the Talking Moose was getting all distorted and talking super slow after sleep.

buts it is quite a difference in speed drop. Cuts it in half almost.

Especially after sleep. And it makes system 7 pretty sluggish overall.

I’ll take less ram over loss of performance any day. One more meg would be enough even.

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com

1688653065392.png

It's maybe "intentionally" designed to behave the way it dees right now based on the info above. Perhaps it's spending extra time always checking for an installed PDS card when the total ram is above 5MB on a Macintosh Portable and above 4MB on the backlit Macintosh Portable.

The performance drop is a bit sad but dems the breaks I guess.

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
I have now worked through the scenarios and these are my discoveries on the M5120 Portable:
* Upgrade card set to 4MB or less: No perf degradation (no degradation after sleep)
* Upgrade card set to 5MB or more: Perf degradation (worse after sleep)

So it looks like for some reason or another, RAM-slot upgrade cards are penalized when above these arbitrary thresholds. It's unclear why.

Reactions: Daniel Hansen

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
I have now worked through the scenarios and these are my discoveries on the M5120 Portable:
* Upgrade card set to 4MB or less: No perf degradation
* Upgrade card set to 5MB or more: Perf degradation

So it looks like for some reason or another, RAM-slot upgrade cards are penalized when above these arbitrary thresholds. It's unclear why.

If it's related to the PDS slot mem management/limitation I'd expect degradation of performance past a 3MB ram card on a backlit Macintosh Portable.

***If the PDS slot is used for other peripherals, then the maximum amount of RAM (by using a RAM expansion card) is 5
MB for the Macintosh Portable, and 4 MB for the backlit Macintosh Portable.

It'd be kinda weird since I don't think any of us actually have a PDS card installed. Wonder if those old PDS ram expansions had the same performance issue.

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
If it's related to the PDS slot mem management/limitation I'd expect degradation of performance past a 3MB ram card on a backlit Macintosh Portable.

It'd be kinda weird since I don't think any of us actually have a PDS card installed. Wonder if those old PDS ram expansions had the same performance issue.
PDS probably doesn't have the perf penalty, because a PDS expansion card would be able to trigger EXT.DTACK independently of the glue logic.

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
So from what I understand /DTACK is different above the first 5MB of address space, I think it has more wait states due to longer timing on peripheral addresses. This shouldn't be that much of a problem though, because the the problem would appear on first boot and not just sleep/wake.

You can try pulling /EXT.DTACK low for just moment along with your /CS to get /DTACK immediately.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
So from what I understand /DTACK is different above the first 5MB of address space, I think it has more wait states due to longer timing on peripheral addresses. This shouldn't be that much of a problem though, because the the problem would appear on first boot and not just sleep/wake.

You can try pulling /EXT.DTACK low for just moment along with your /CS to get /DTACK immediately.
The problem does appear on first boot (cuts cpu speed in half with 7mb). Then after sleep/wake it cuts that in half again roughly.

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
The problem does appear on first boot (cuts cpu speed in half with 7mb). Then after sleep/wake it cuts that in half again roughly.
Yeah was just reading the Macintosh Portable can throttle CPU speed. Wonder if disabling automatic sleep would do anything.

The Portable has the ability to slow the microprocessor
from its normal speed of approximately 16 MHz to
about 1 MHz during idle periods. This feature is called
system rest and is used to reduce power consumption
by the 68HCOOO. The computer will switch to system
rest if no input device activity occurs for fifteen
seconds. The system returns to full speed when a user
presses a key, moves the trackball or mouse, or a
peripheral requests attention.
System rest may interfere with the operation of some
programs. If you need to disable system rest, hold
down the <Option> key and click anywhere on the
words Minutes Until Automatic Sleep. The dialog box
appears in Figure II-B. Then click Don't Rest and OK

1688706060368.png

Reference: https://mirrors.apple2.org.za/ftp.apple.asimov.net/documentation/macintosh/atp_macintoshportable.pdf

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Last edited:

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
I have started work on an alternate firmware and switch-mod-PCB for the RAM card. This will allow switching between the following modes:
* M5120 "Low RAM" (4MB on expansion card)
* M5120 "High RAM" (7MB on expansion card)
* M5126 "Low RAM" (3MB on expansion card)
* M5126 "High RAM" (7 MB on expansion card)

This will allow people to choose between CPU performance and RAM expansion (but not while the system is powered on - that would be bad).

Last edited:

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I have started work on an alternate firmware and switch-mod-PCB for the RAM card. This will allow switching between the following modes:
* M5120 "Low RAM" (4MB on expansion card)
* M5120 "High RAM" (7MB on expansion card)
* M5126 "Low RAM" (3MB on expansion card)
* M5126 "High RAM" (7 MB on expansion card)

This will allow people to choose between CPU performance and RAM expansion (but not while the system is powered on - that would be bad).

Thats sounds great!

Androda

Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
can you salvage parts of the current boards if we send them back to you?
This design is a "modboard", so it would be glued to the main PCB and then it's just four jumper wires. There's no need to order new "full PCBs" since I can just reprogram the CPLD and use a few more of its input pins as configuration.

Reactions: pocketscience

SuperSVGA

Tinkerer
Mar 26, 2022
Ah, so it's the cpu glue which controls that. Is there a register or address reference available?
C:
//---------------------------------------------------
// HcMac Clock Change Addresses
//---------------------------------------------------

#define Clock16M                 $FE0000                 // Go to sixteen megahertz clock throughput
#define Clock1M                  $FE0002                 // Go to one megahertz clock throughput (adds 64 wait states)

Not sure if there's more undocumented speeds or not...