BlueSCSI - Open, Low Cost, DIY SCSI to SD device

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
It didn’t work over MicroUSB. What do I do if it’s shorted.
Shorted would mean it is broken - aside from replacing the shorted component (likely the BluePill) there is no fix. Do you suspect you shorted it on something metal like the case or table or something?

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
@eric, is a video available illustrating the steps to flash the firmware on the BlueSCSI? I am a bit wary after my Floppy Emu got bricked. I have @Androda's BlueSCSI F4 Lite
Your F4Lite unit is not compatible with firmware for the original BlueSCSI. Only F4 and F4Lite specific firmware binaries will function properly. I don't yet have a build of this beta branch, it's something I need to work on. Been doing a lot of hardware-related prototyping recently.

On the note of firmware upgrades: https://github.com/androda/F4_BlueSCSI/wiki/Flashing-Firmware-Updates

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

Genjoke

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Brazil - Rio de Janeiro - Flamengo
HELP!

I've been using my DB25 BlueSCSI on my compact macs with no problem, Mac Plus and Mac Classic.

Yesterday I was trying to bring a Frankenstein Performa 6xxx back to life. It is a 6500 motherboard on a P6300 case and an L2 Cache G3 accelerator.

I plugged the BlueSCSI in and the machine not even booted! I took it out and ended up using a CF card to IDE adapter to replace the dead HD.

TODAY, I tried to use the DB25 BlueSCSI on the Mac Classic and it would prevent it from starting up! It lights up but I get no error code (blinking lights) even if I remove the card or put an empty one in.

What did I do? Did I fry it? Is it worth trying to reprogram the BluePill? I'm a total n00b regarding that, I don't even know where to begin if that's the case.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
What did I do? Did I fry it? Is it worth trying to reprogram the BluePill? I'm a total n00b regarding that, I don't even know where to begin if that's the case.
Hard to tell at this point. Though reprogramming it wouldnt change anything, a device won't loose it's program without you doing a flash erase. You could test the termpower on the 6500 and make sure it's not extremely high for some odd reason. I'd start with the basics - new/different freshly formatted SD card and 1 image - see if you get a log file and keep debugging from there.

Reactions: Genjoke

rikerjoe

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
HELP!

I've been using my DB25 BlueSCSI on my compact macs with no problem, Mac Plus and Mac Classic.

Yesterday I was trying to bring a Frankenstein Performa 6xxx back to life. It is a 6500 motherboard on a P6300 case and an L2 Cache G3 accelerator.

I plugged the BlueSCSI in and the machine not even booted! I took it out and ended up using a CF card to IDE adapter to replace the dead HD.

TODAY, I tried to use the DB25 BlueSCSI on the Mac Classic and it would prevent it from starting up! It lights up but I get no error code (blinking lights) even if I remove the card or put an empty one in.

o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Do you by chance have any other SCSI devices attached to your Classic? @eric would understand the reasons better than I, but what I observed in my older classic Macs is if I have two SCSI devices attached and the devices have different SCSI hard disk drivers, say one is using Lido and another using traditional Apple SCSI drivers, I would get problems such as a failure to boot. Thought I’d offer this in case it applies. I hope it isn’t an outright failure of your DB25 BlueSCSI.

Reactions: Genjoke

Genjoke

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Do you by chance have any other SCSI devices attached to your Classic? @eric would understand the reasons better than I, but what I observed in my older classic Macs is if I have two SCSI devices attached and the devices have different SCSI hard disk drivers, say one is using Lido and another using traditional Apple SCSI drivers, I would get problems such as a failure to boot. Thought I’d offer this in case it applies. I hope it isn’t an outright failure of your DB25 BlueSCSI.
On that matter I had no problems. My classic has an internal BlueSCSI which work fine with any of the following external SCSI devices: another BlueScsi; Pinnacle CD; Assanté SCSI/Ethernet; flatbed scanner. I only use one external device at a time, I never chained them.

Last edited:

Genjoke

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Hard to tell at this point. Though reprogramming it wouldnt change anything, a device won't loose it's program without you doing a flash erase. You could test the termpower on the 6500 and make sure it's not extremely high for some odd reason. I'd start with the basics - new/different freshly formatted SD card and 1 image - see if you get a log file and keep debugging from there.

Thanks Eric, it worked. I'm kinda embaressed for all the panic 🤣

😓😓😓😬😬

• Haha
Reactions: retr01

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
Thanks Eric, it worked. I'm kinda embaressed for all the panic 🤣
No worries at all, when you think you've broken something it always sets in a little panic - taking a step back and trying the simplest things first helps (with all troubleshooting).

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
I ended up buying the extra long version of the extender (23 inch extender). I'll try doing the same with some tongs / tweezers to get it connected.

May order a desktop f4 and see if I can make a 3d printable mounting bracket for it. We'll see.
The longer cable worked well. It is much longer than necessary, but makes it very easy to plug in / remove. Only slight challenge was that the connector on one end wasn't keyed, so you just need to make sure you plug it in the proper way then attaching the edge connector.

After plugging it in, I wrapped my bluescsi in it a few times to allow it to fit in the HD opening. Keeps it from moving around and makes it easy to get out if needing to get the SD card.

extender I used:

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
The longer cable worked well. It is much longer than necessary, but makes it very easy to plug in / remove. Only slight challenge was that the connector on one end wasn't keyed, so you just need to make sure you plug it in the proper way then attaching the edge connector.

After plugging it in, I wrapped my bluescsi in it a few times to allow it to fit in the HD opening. Keeps it from moving around and makes it easy to get out if needing to get the SD card.

extender I used:

Awesome! Added to my list. :)

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue

Optical CD and DVD support added by @jokker , better Atari support and a lot of other fixes. Checkout the release notes.

4 contributors this release (2 new)!

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
New release

Thanks to all the contributors and 2 new contributors this release!

Whats new
  • Fixed an issue with CD support in Mac OS 8.0 (and oddly only 8.0)
  • Added support for MegaSTE which we can now map ID's to LUNs when the MSTE_MODE file is present on the root of the SD card.
  • Warn and direct user to help if their image file is fragmented on the SD card, which could cause performance issues.
  • Re-address SPI speed selection which should help SD card speed and detection.
  • Cleaned up some of the 3D case files
How to Update

Use the BlueSCSI Updater or QMK Toolbox to flash the file via USB.

If you are flashing the file manually be sure to check the LOG.txt to see what version you currently have (eg: -USB, etc)

This Does Not Compute

Active Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
www.youtube.com
So I built a pair of BlueSCSI v1's (why not v2? I have reasons... ;) ) and have a weird problem with both of them. I have a Mac Classic to test them with, but neither will boot. The Mac will boot from its internal mechanical SCSI hard drive, and it'll boot from my external BlueSCSI v1. But regardless of whether I put in the external BlueSCSI's SD card or one that's been formatted fresh, these internal units just won't present a disk the Mac wants to boot from. The BlueSCSIs *do* generate a log file (attached), so they're getting termination power and are able to read/write the SD card. I used right-angle SCSI connectors on them (so the SCSI cable exits parallel with the PCB instead of straight up), but the pinout *should* be the same. (If these connectors were somehow reversed, would the BlueSCSI still get termination power?) It doesn't seem like the Classic is special with its SCSI implementation, so I'm at a bit of a loss as to why these won't work. Any ideas?

Attachments

• LOG.txt
    535 bytes · Views: 36

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
I have a somewhat similar issue, though not the same. I have a Mac Classic which boots just fine with an 80Mb HD from a Classic II running System 7.0.1, and boots perfectly from a BlueSCSI v1 with 7.1 installed - as long as the BlueSCSI is not actually inside the Classic.

When in place in the HD carrier, the Mac doesn't see the BlueSCSI at all, so even when booted from floppy, the BlueSCSI doesn't mount, and isn't visible to any software.

When left externally, the BlueSCSI can be wiped and 7.1 installed, either from floppies or a Floppy EMU, and behaves perfectly.

KennyPowers

Active Tinkerer
Jun 27, 2022
I'm just curious if the attached image works for either of your Classics with a BlueSCSI connected internally. I had similar issues about a year ago with my Classic and it turned out to be the SCSI driver that was being used. I never tried connecting my BlueSCSI externally at the time though, so maybe not the same issue you're having. Doesn't hurt to try though. The attached image works in my Classic with an internal BlueSCSI and was created by installing 7.1 from original floppies.

Attachments

• 2GB_Mac_Classic_7.1_fresh_install_image.zip
    4.8 MB · Views: 58

Yoda

Tinkerer
Jan 22, 2023
In my case, the BlueSCSI boots perfectly and is usable when connected to the internal SCSI cable, as long as the BlueSCSI itself is dangled outside the system. Simply placing it in the HD carrier and buttoning up the casing then results in the system not seeing it. I know it's not the cable, since the same cable with the Classic II HD works fine.

But much thanks for the image - I've downloaded it and will give it a try. There's some kind of oddness about this, so I'm not discounting anything!

alxlab

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
www.alxlab.com
Your adapter shouldn't be reversed if you have power.

I've seen a similar issue with a hard drive when termination was not on but I'm assuming you have your BlueSCSI terminated.

I've also seen similar issues with floppy drives in Macs. I have a couple 800k drives that if I put them in my Mac SE internally they will not work correctly, but if I use them in an external floppy drive case then they will work fine. The only different I can see if that putting the drive in the external case would reduce the EMI (electro magnetic interference) the drives experience. The external floppy drive cases are shield quite well with a full metal shield that connects to the db19 cable shield which in turn connects to Macs case shield.

Maybe you can put the BlueSCSI in a metal case or wrap it in foil and ground the shield to the computers case and see if there's any difference.