BlueSCSI - Open, Low Cost, DIY SCSI to SD device

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022
Does the MacSnap provide enough term power to power the BlueSCSI? Have you tried it powering the blueSCSI via usb?
I will give this a try and provide an update. Working on another item at the moment.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
New release! v1.1-20220620

Contributors​

This release we had 2 new contributors - @ryandesign & @mynameistroy - for a total of 5 contributors this release - Thanks everyone!

Expanded SCSI support​

• This release added support for the following new commands, Test Unit Ready, Read Defect Data, Lock/Unlock Cache, PreFetch, Prevent Allow Removal.
  • Fixed a bug that reported multiple LUNs when none present.
  • Added additional Sense responses.
  • More speed, timing, and performance improvements
These fixes should improve and fix many issues users had on non-mac systems.

XCVR Hardware in mainline​

Patches to build the transceiver versions of BlueSCSI are now in main and bins will be provided each release.

Support for a new clone, the APM32F103C8T6 and Overclocking.​

We got our hands on a new chip that is a clone of the STM32F1 - the APM32F1. It works great, except it does not seem to work at the stock 72MHz - only at 96 or 128MHz. bins will be provided for those speeds.

If you'd like to try your hand at overclocking you can flash 96/128MHz to your existing STM32F1 and get speeds of around 1.8MB/sec read, 1.6MB/sec write - not bad! While we've been testing and found no issue - overclock at your own risk.

Full changelog here https://github.com/erichelgeson/BlueSCSI/releases/tag/v1.1-20220620

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022
Eric does the blueSCSI work with MacSnap scsi? I got a 512K unit today with this in it with the Plus ROMS as needed. Tried it but it would not boot up. All I got was the red light on the blue active.

thanks
So I tested blueSCSI with the MaSnap scsi and at first, would not work. Added an external usb power to the blue pill and it now boots up fine. Will need to try some more things with it. So I have a 512Ke with MacSnap, Plus 128K ROMs V2 1mb Ram and a 400/800K floppy in it. Nice. I have another logic board 512Ke with the plus ROMs on it but the flyback on that analog is bad so can’t use till I get the analog board fixed.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Hi @Willj! :) 👋
So I tested blueSCSI with the MaSnap scsi and at first, would not work. Added an external usb power to the blue pill and it now boots up fine.
That is correct. The Mac 128k, 512k, and Plus do not provide the 5v termination power through SCSI. That is why you need to use USB to power the external BlueSCSI. :geek:

On the Mac Plus, there is a way to add a small part so that it will provide the 5v termination power through SCSI. Let us know if you need more information on that.

Will need to try some more things with it. So I have a 512Ke with MacSnap, Plus 128K ROMs V2 1mb Ram and a 400/800K floppy in it. Nice. I have another logic board 512Ke with the plus ROMs on it but the flyback on that analog is bad so can’t use till I get the analog board fixed.
Ah! Recap the analog board? :confused:

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022

That is correct. The Mac 128k, 512k, and Plus do not provide the 5v termination power through SCSI. That is why you need to use USB to power the external BlueSCSI. :geek:

On the Mac Plus, there is a way to add a small part so that it will provide the 5v termination power through SCSI. Let us know if you need more information on that.

On my plus I added the resistor for it to work.
I have recapped the analog board but it’s the flyback had that bad smell of dryer or ozone after a few minutes on and I get no picture. I get the chime but screen black and no current comes out of the flyback. There is no discharge spark after it being on.

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022

Here some pics.

Attachments

• 9595A326-A4F7-4CFB-B777-4C0EF3E62371.jpeg
    9595A326-A4F7-4CFB-B777-4C0EF3E62371.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 52
  • 8467CCCB-B4E7-41D1-8D4F-6B645F1C2437.jpeg
    8467CCCB-B4E7-41D1-8D4F-6B645F1C2437.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 63

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
On my plus I added the resistor for it to work.
I have recapped the analog board but it’s the flyback had that bad smell of dryer or ozone after a few minutes on and I get no picture. I get the chime but screen black and no current comes out of the flyback. There is no discharge spark after it being on.
The flyback transformer, aka that big black thingy on the analog board, right? IIRC, @Kai Robinson did order a new one from Dalbani. I will try to find the right part number.

Last edited:

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue

Release v1.1-20220626​

Whats new​

This release is all about better compatibility with formatting utilities - an issue identified from the v1.1-20220620 release where formatting would fail. If you are on that release - you should upgrade.

BlueSCSI no longer reports as a QUANTUM FIREBALL1 - Some formatting utilities send vendor specific commands because they assume the drive can respond. BlueSCSI now reports as a QUANTUM BLUESCSI F1 - which is still passes the Apple SCSI checks so no need for patched utilities. If for some reason you need to change this - you can customize it using the scsi-info.txt file.

Added a Sense page for caching so SCSI Director 4 does not show a warning.

Minor code warnings and code cleanup.

Thanks to @mactcp, @mynameistroy, moof(Discord), and @OneGeekArmy for reporting, testing, and fixing these issues!

Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
BlueSCSI no longer reports as a QUANTUM FIREBALL1 - Some formatting utilities send vendor specific commands because they assume the drive can respond. BlueSCSI now reports as a QUANTUM BLUESCSI F1 - which is still passes the Apple SCSI checks so no need for patched utilities. If for some reason you need to change this - you can customize it using the scsi-info.txt file.
Love this! :love::D(y) Thank you, @eric!

Willj

Tinkerer
Apr 28, 2022
@Willj, this should be the right one:

Here is information from Mac GUI on replacing the Flyback Transformer.
Thanks. I found them also and they are close to me in Miami so will be easy to get and ship to Cayman Islands. Just need bunch other items also like the 1N4150 and the BU406.

Reactions: retr01