BlueSCSI v2 - DaynaPORT WiFi!

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Ahhh I can try that. Yeah, no way to see what the driver is? Not even on a modern machine with a hex editor or something?

I’ve been beating on it copying folders etc and it’s fine. So seams like it was specific to that image. Could the extension matter at all? .hda vs .img.

I figured if I have a setup that can be reproduced every time on any system then it could be used to chase down the bug.

once it occurred the first and second time I started backing up the sd card and testing. And then managed to copy everything from the source image to the dest image one folder at a time.

** I will put the two images on a different SD card, try installing same drivers, rule out wether the Wi-Fi connecting (.ini) is related, try a different machine (Mac IIcx) and report back.

Last edited:

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
Ahhh I can try that. Yeah, no way to see what the driver is? Not even on a modern machine with a hex editor or something?
You can look with a hex editor, yes. Check between offset 0x8000 and 0xBFFF, that's where the SCSI driver partition lives. Some possible landmarks (pulled from a 6.0.8 image):
* "CMS_SCSI" near the beginning
* "RM 7.4" around 0x8780
* SCSI Driver version around 0x9EB7
* HFS Manager version around 0x9F47

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
I just tried out JCS’s BlueSCSI Wi-Fi Desk Accessory and it works great.

I was thinking of modding the code to save the selection to a prefs file so it auto re-connects to the last chosen SSID.

Then I thought what would be really cool is to make a cdev (like superclock) so the signal strength meter is always in the menu bar and would drop down the list when you click it just like a modern MacBook.

TT/30

New Tinkerer
Sep 17, 2023
California
Has anyone run into an issue where the BlusSCSIv2 external drive (running the latest DynaPORT firmware) stops booting and the SD card itself is corrupted? I was able to repair the SD card in MacOs Ventura's Disk Utility and also backed up all the files. It just happened all of the sudden after shutting down my SE/30. I noticed there was a delay to get to the shut down screen before this happened and also a couple times before that.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
@jcs has released the 1.0 of the Wi-Fi DA - https://jcs.org/bluescsi

1698347056861.png

Also Wi-Fi is no longer beta but we'll keep this thread going for Wi-Fi specific questions :)

luRaichu

New Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2023
Tested this out on my Mac LC with Pico W BlueSCSI v2, The DaynaPORT driver included installs but doesn't seem to work on 7.5.5. Used 7.5.3 next and it worked there. I also got MacTCP Watcher to help configure MacTCP correctly and I think it should be included with the utility disk. Anyways I'm gonna see if the driver works in 7.1.1, is it specific to 7.5.3? And can I use the DaynaPORT driver from Macintosh Repository?
Also: would it be possible for the Pico W to function as a proxy, handling the SSL and allowing you to visit HTTPS sites from a classic Mac?

Last edited:

V.Yakob

New Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2023
Hey!
Today I got BlueSCSIv2 with Pico W (2023.10a) and I immediately wanted to try it on the PM8100.
Created a NE6.hda file, Installed SSW7.5.5, MacTCP, Dyana SCSI/Link Driver, I rebooted my Mac, set up MacTCP, but I'm apparently missing something.

MacTCP Ping Doesn't work.

4. MacTCP Ping.png

Wi-Fi DA doesn't work either, it doesn't detect Wi-Fi at all

3. Wifi da.png

Only the network name is specified in the bluescsi.ini configuration file

Code:
WiFiSSID=Old-Mac-Net

This is an open network, does not require authentication, only allowed MAC addresses can connect.

In the log, you can see that you are connected to Wi-Fi.

Code:
=== Finding images in / ===
== Opening /NE6.hda for ID: 6 LUN: 0
---- Configuring as network based on image name
=== Network Initialization ===
Wi-Fi MAC: 00:80:19:88:63:30
Connecting to Wi-Fi SSID "Old-Mac-Net" with no authentication

In the router monitoring, you can see this MAC address, the IP address is not assigned.
I don't have an AAUI to Ethernet adapter or nubus Ethernet card yet, so Wi-Fi in BlueSCSI is the only way to connect to the network.

What am I missing? How to make it work?

Attachments

• 1. DaynaPort.png
    1. DaynaPort.png
    18.9 KB · Views: 17
  • 2. MacTCP.png
    2. MacTCP.png
    21 KB · Views: 13
  • BlueSCSIv2-w-wifi.png
    BlueSCSIv2-w-wifi.png
    705.3 KB · Views: 15

V.Yakob

New Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2023
does your bluescsi.ini start with [SCSI] ?
Of course, here's the full version of config

Code:
[SCSI]
#Settings that apply to all SCSI ids
#Select a system preset to apply default settings
#Known systems: "Generic", "MacPlus", "MegaSTE"
System = "Generic"

WiFiSSID=Old-Mac-Net
#WiFiPassword=pass123
# Optional - Each Pico-W will generate its own MAC address, so normally not needed.
#WiFiMACAddress=00:80:19:C0:FF:EE

#Same effect as DIPSW2, enables verbose log messages
#Debug = 1

#Enable faster speeds of SCSI2
EnableSCSI2 = 1

#Settings that can be needed for compatibility with some hosts
#0: Standard, 1: Apple (Default), 2: OMTI, 4: Xebec, 8: VMS
Quirks = 1

#Millisecond delay after selection, 255 = automatic, 0 = no delay
SelectionDelay = 255

#Post UNIT_ATTENTION status on power-on or SD card hotplug, default off, 1 to enable.
EnableUnitAttention = 0

#For Philips P2000C and other devices that release SEL signal before BSY, default off, 1 to enable.
#EnableSelLatch = 0

#For Philips P2000C or MegaSTE to simulate multiple LUNs on one SCSI ID, default off, 1 to enable.
#MapLunsToIDs = 0

#Enable parity checks on platforms that support it (RP2040), default on, 0 to disable.
#EnableParity = 1

#Set to 5 or 10 default to enable synchronous SCSI mode, 0 to disable
MaxSyncSpeed = 10

# ROM settings
# Disable the ROM drive if it has been loaded to flash, default enabled. 1 to disable.
DisableROMDrive = 0

#Override ROM drive’s SCSI ID, default 2.
#ROMDriveSCSIID = 6

# Settings that can be specified either per-device or for all devices.
# 0: Fixed, 1: Removable, 2: Optical, 3: Floppy, 4: Mag-optical, 5: Tape
Type = 0
Vendor = "BlueSCSI"
Product = "Virtual HD"
Version = "2.0"
Serial = "NBDY61PEBA4210"

#Affects only INQUIRY response.
#The device-type modifier field was defined in SCSI-1 to permit vendor- specific qualification codes of the device type. This field is retained for compatibility with SCSI-1. Targets that do not #support this field should return a value of zero. https://www.staff.uni-mainz.de/tacke/scsi/SCSI2-08.html
#TypeModifier = 0

#How many sectors per track the disk has, default 63.
#SectorsPerTrack = 63

#How many HeadsPerCylinder the disk has, default 255.
#HeadsPerCylinder = 255

#Right-align SCSI vendor / product strings, defaults on if Quirks=1 (Apple), otherwise off.
#RightAlignStrings = 0

#Maximum number of bytes to prefetch after a read request, 0 to disable. Default 8192
#PrefetchBytes = 8192

#Optionally look for image files in subdirectory
# Multiple directories can be specified Dir1...Dir9
Dir1 = "/HDs"

# Settings can be overridden for individual devices.
[SCSI2]
Type = 2 # Optical
Vendor = "BlueSCSI"
Product = "Virtual CD"
Version = "2.0"
Serial = "RL2ND8NQATT639"

# If IMG0..IMG9 are specified, they are cycled after each CD eject command.
#IMG0 = "/Folder/Image.iso"

#Reinsert any ejected CD-ROM image on Inquiry command, 1 to enable, default off.
ReinsertCDOnInquiry = 1

#Raw sector range from SD card can be passed through
#Format is RAW:first_sector:last_sector where sector numbers can be decimal or hex.
#If end sector is beyond end of SD card, it will be adjusted automatically.
#Only useful for migrating a SD card from SCSI2SD v5/6.

#[SCSI4]
#IMG0 = RAW:0x00000000:0xFFFFFFFF # Whole SD card

I didn't try to specify a blank password because I thought it wasn't required. I'll check your guess now.

eric

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 2, 2021
MN
scsi.blue
What am I missing? How to make it work?
Can you show the full log?

Also please remove all that content from your ini. The only thing needed is the SSID (password does not need to be there or blank) - you have conflicting keys set, eg you set system to generic but then say apple quirks.

Just have the ini with 1 section and 1 key/value:

[SCSI]
WiFiSSID=Old-Mac-Net

Take a look at "What to try first" in the troubleshooting guide as well https://bluescsi.com/docs/Troubleshooting

V.Yakob

New Tinkerer
Sep 6, 2023
Also please remove all that content from your ini. The only thing needed is the SSID
You're right, with bluescsi.ini, which only has the network SSID -- works.

I found a problem in the config: I commented on the standard description of the device and everything started working.

# Settings that can be specified either per-device or for all devices.
# 0: Fixed, 1: Removable, 2: Optical, 3: Floppy, 4: Mag-optical, 5: Tape
Type = 0
Vendor = "BlueSCSI"
Product = "Virtual HD"
Version = "2.0"
Serial = "NBDY61PEBA4210"

The network starts working immediately after I start the "MacTCP Ping" application. Great!

I think it was this parameter "Type = 0" that was to blame for everything.

you set system to generic but then say apple quirks.

Thanks for the comment, I didn't notice it before.

Reactions: eric

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
As described in my earlier post, I was successful in getting BSv2 WIFI to work properly with Open Transport running under System 7.1 and higher.

Today, I shall describe my experience getting BSv2 WIFI to work under System 6.0.8 running on a Macintosh Portable which has a 16MHz 68000 processor:
  1. I opened the WiFi DaynaPORT page here. You should too as you follow my guide.

2. The Macintosh Portable requires Mac Plus code to be in the .ini file, so I added the required WIFI code under that, exactly as follows (and saved to my SD card):
    [SCSI]
    System=MacPlus
    WiFiSSID=MyWiFi
    WiFiPassword=pass123
    # Optional - Each Pico-W will generate its own MAC address, so normally not needed.
    # WiFiMACAddress=00:80:19:C0:FF:EE

3. I then created a new text file using BBEDIT with Macintosh encoding named (nothing conflicts with SCSI ID 4): NE4.hda

4. I then downloaded this HDA file to my SD card.

5. I booted my Portable into System 6.0.8 (with 8MB total RAM) and then opened the drive named "BlueSCSI PicoW" and dragged MacTCP (v2.1) from there to my System Folder.

6. The instructions then say to: "Install the DaynaPORT 7.5.3 drivers via the provided disk image". That's where trouble began. The instructions go on to say: "use the `MountImage 11b3` cdev (included on the image) to allow the image to be mounted" , but in fact, that was not true in my case. Double-clicking MountImage 11b3 resulted in an error dialog saying the application required cannot be found! Thankfully, I already had MountImage 1.2b2 installed as a Control Panel. Note that when you use it, however, you must checkmark "allow changes to the disk image" or you'll get an error.

7. With the DaynaPort disk image mounted, I then double-clicked "Installer". Despite what the instructions say though, I cannot do an Easy Install because the "Install" button is dimmed, and it says: "Please install your DayaPORT hardware, or make sure the hardware is installed correctly." Thankfully, you can click the "Customize" button and then click on "DaynaPORT SCSI/Link" (which the instructions tell you to do). I already had AppleTalk 58.0 installed, so I didn't select that. I clicked the "Install" button and I saw it building "System file" which indicated the items were installed inside that file rather than in the System Folder, because I later couldn't find any "Dayna" named files in the System Folder. It then required me to Restart after the install.

8. The instructions then say to open MacTCP, which I did. I chose "Ethernet Built-In".

9. Now came the part that was rather confusing because the instructions are incomplete. It indicates you should confirm your Router IP, which I did on my modern Mac by opening System Preferences > Network > Ethernet. It shows my Router to be 192.168.0.1, with DNS set to 8.8.8.8, and Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0. Now here's where the instructions are lacking. It shows you this pic:

1712742213298.png

Fine and well, but it needs to tell the user to do this: "Click into the IP Address field and type a number that matches the leftmost 3 segments of your Router, then type an unused number at right." In other words, in my case: 192.168.0.xxx, where xxx is for me to decide. I chose 73 because that was suggested and not used on my network. In other words: 192.167.0.73

But yet another failure of the instructions is that they don't specifically say to click the "More..." button, but you need to do that next. I did that and then clicked the "Manually" radio button. The instructions don't specifically say that. You must assume it based on the following pic:

1712742423005.png

So after clicking the "Manually" radio button at left in the above, I proceeded to fill out the Routing Information section with my ROUTER info: 255.255.255.0 & 192.168.0.1.

After that, I didn't know what to do in the Domain Name Server Information section because the instructions make zero mention of what I ought to type into the Domain field. Must I type "local" to match the screenshot? Maybe not because the screenshot is showing an IP of 192.168.1.150 which the text instructions make no mention about! So what I did was type "Google" into the Domain field, and then I typed 8.8.8.8 into the IP Address field, and then I clicked the Default radio button, and lastly, I clicked OK.

The instructions say I will be asked to Restart, but I wasn't. So I restarted manually.

10. The instructions said to open MacTCP after Restarting and check that Built-in Ethernet was still selected, and I found it was, so I closed my Control Panels. But the instructions seem to be in error, because it says "proceed to Step 5," which cannot be right.

11. I then proceeded to the next instruction which is oddly marked "1." and says: "Now open 'MacTCP Ping' and try to ping 1.1.1.1." I did that. Success!

12. Because web browsers won't run under System 6, the best we can do is run Fetch (sorry, Panic's Transit or Transmit won't run under System 6 either). I used the following as a test, which worked perfectly:
    repo1.macintoshgarden.org
    user: macgarden
    psw: publicdl
    Directory (leave blank)
And there you have it. I hope the above is helpful to those who haven't yet been able to get BSv2 WIFI to work under System 6!

UPDATE: I left my Mac Portable as I typed the above, which took me more than the 2 minute sleep timer. I went back and found it asleep. I pressed a key which work the machine, showing Fetch still logged into Macintosh Garden. But it was frozen. Moving the trackball did not move the arrow pointer, and even pressing Interrupt did nothing. Pressing Restart worked, however. At the desktop, I took note that the ACT LED on BSv2 was not flashing (which is normal, I think, because I didn't yet open Fetch. I put the machine to Sleep. I then woke the machine. No freeze. I then launched Fetch which causes the ACT LED on BSv2 to start flashing. I then quit Fetch, but the ACT LED keeps flashing. At the desktop, I put the machine to sleep. Upon wake, it froze. So the flashing LED seems to trigger the freeze on wake from Sleep.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mu0n

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I was able to get it setup under System 7.5.5 on my Macintosh Portable today. Can't use Open Transport (any version) on the 68000 processor, so I used MacTCP (classic networking). Same setup as under System 6.0.8.

I got Turbo Gopher v1.08b4 to work, and I can access Gopher sites like System 7 today:

tempImagepraCK6.png

But despite being booted into System 7.5.5 with Thread Manager in the extensions folder, Turbo Gopher 2.0.3 (latest version) crashes. I've not tried any other versions yet.

I tried a bucketload of browsers that ought to be compatible in System 7.5.5, but all crashed (including Netscape 2.02), except for MacWeb...

tempImageMVk78E.png

Last edited:

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
I guess I am the only person now interested in this thread. That's perfectly fine. Talking to myself has yielded rewards in the past, and it shall also reward the reader as I make new discoveries such as that which I am now about to say.

I found the following Github post by "benjamink":

He sheds light on what we should type into the field below circled in red:

1712889757328.png

He says to type a single period in the Domain field. That's it. So that is what I shall do as I continue my testing.

Hope this helps those of you following this info!

nottomhanks

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
Hi James, I also had the BlueSCSI v2 with Wifi working on my Portable (I have video and photos), but since my last video testing the sound issues, I’m struggling to boot my machine. I think I’m going to have to get that Androda battery replacer as you suggested.

Reactions: JDW

NJRoadfan

New Tinkerer
Feb 6, 2022
Just picked up a BlueSCSI v2 Wifi from Amiga of Rochester at VCF East. I can confirm it is working with the RamFAST Rev. D SCSI card in my Apple IIgs as it was not (yet) on the compatibility list. For those wishing to use 2MG files with the BlueSCSI, you can convert them to a compatible format using CiderPress 2. Just save a 2MG file as a "Unadorned ProDOS-Ordered (.po)" image. The RamFAST firmware doesn't seem to care about the lack of an Apple Partition Map. It detected and mounted the raw image without a problem.

Reactions: JDW

JDW

Administrator
Staff member
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Japan
youtube.com
Just wanted to mention in this thread that BlueSCSIv2 WIFI has triggered a Wake-from-Sleep freeze that doesn’t exist when WIFI is disabled. I reported that in the following thread, but not a single person commented there:

I realize the big problem here is that there are too few Portable owners out there, and the ones who are out there have broken machines they can't test. Even so, if @eric or @Androda or any of you experts have thoughts on the matter, I'm certainly all ears and happy to do any specific testing you have in mind to track down the root problem.

Thanks!