Installing Mac OS X Leopard on the Apple TV (1st generation)

fogWraith

Antiques Dealer
Sep 2, 2021
No worries, I can grab the one from MEGA and upload it along with the files I uploaded to archive.org.

Edit: Hm, I've been trying to upload for the past hour and it's been stuck on "Starting upload". Is something awry?
It's most likely uploading, it's a weird bug after implementing support for both http and https where the progressbar does not display at all.

Funnily enough Drupal works in mysterious ways and the form has two ways of uploading files, one is selecting the file, scrolling to the bottom and hitting Save (usually works best) and the one where you select file and click upload and receive no more feedback than the upload starting

Reactions: scj312

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
It's most likely uploading, it's a weird bug after implementing support for both http and https where the progressbar does not display at all.

Funnily enough Drupal works in mysterious ways and the form has two ways of uploading files, one is selecting the file, scrolling to the bottom and hitting Save (usually works best) and the one where you select file and click upload and receive no more feedback than the upload starting
Ah, I'll let it continue in the background then. Thanks for the heads up!

Edit: It completed! I'll finish up the listing later, have some other things to attend to!

Last edited:

Drake

TinkerDifferent Board Vice-President 2023
Staff member
Sep 23, 2021
I can honestly say I never once thought an Apple TV could run OSX haha. This seems like a fun project if I ever come across one.
Aside from the cost nowadays is this just a novelty or is there a usage for having OSX on Apple TV?

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
I can honestly say I never once thought an Apple TV could run OSX haha. This seems like a fun project if I ever come across one.
Aside from the cost nowadays is this just a novelty or is there a usage for having OSX on Apple TV?
For me, it is a novelty, but it could be used as a file or media server around the home. These are cheap and don't use much power.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Ok, I tried uploading the .dmg file. I figured I could add the boot.efi as an additional like other collections I see on the garden site. Anyway, it it stalls at starting upload. . . with no sign of progress, so I am going to let it sit there a while and come back later to see if it finishes or does something after a while.

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
As an update, I've been working on getting Snow Leopard running on the Apple TV. I have it booting most of the way, but the system reboots when the WindowServer starts. I need to do some more experimentation with different video connections and resolutions, as well as some driver nonsense to see if I can get this to boot the rest of the way.

Reactions: wottle

JasonJJJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2022
As an update, I've been working on getting Snow Leopard running on the Apple TV. I have it booting most of the way, but the system reboots when the WindowServer starts. I need to do some more experimentation with different video connections and resolutions, as well as some driver nonsense to see if I can get this to boot the rest of the way.
Thanks! We would like to see higher macos on appletv, thank you for not letting them to be landfill

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Does this work with using the internal drive? I'm getting the flashing question mark icon because I anticipated the 10.4 install, not this install

JasonJJJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2022
Does this work with using the internal drive? I'm getting the flashing question mark icon because I anticipated the 10.4 install, not this install
first thing you need is a convertor between Apple TV PATA Drive and to something you can connect to your powermac G4

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
first thing you need is a convertor between Apple TV PATA Drive and to something you can connect to your powermac G4
i flashed the ISO to my Apple TV's hard drive directly using my 2009 Mac Mini and a PATA to USB converter I bought off of ebay

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
alright, but i already have macos on internal harddrive
ok now I have a question, when you run the final command before the unmount, is the partition supposed to show back up on the desktop if I do it correctly? it didn't, but I'm curious

Last edited: