Installing Mac OS X Leopard on the Apple TV (1st generation)

JasonJJJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2022
ok now I have a question, when you run the final command before the unmount, is the partition supposed to show back up on the desktop if I do it correctly? it didn't, but I'm curious
when you finished restore, just plug the drive in the appletv then its done

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I had Tiger runing just fine on the internal drive.

I had mine functioning as an IOS print server for a while before I setup a Pi to do the same thing. However, I have new interest in getting this running again. I think I still have a drive already setup—just need to swap it back into the case.

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
I had Tiger runing just fine on the internal drive.

I had mine functioning as an IOS print server for a while before I setup a Pi to do the same thing. However, I have new interest in getting this running again. I think I still have a drive already setup—just need to swap it back into the case.
I think I'll use mine to play some videos on loop once I set up my computer repair shop

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
As an update, I've been working on getting Snow Leopard running on the Apple TV. I have it booting most of the way, but the system reboots when the WindowServer starts. I need to do some more experimentation with different video connections and resolutions, as well as some driver nonsense to see if I can get this to boot the rest of the way.
Well, Snow Leopard booted right up connected to a TV with component video, and after completing setup, works perfectly fine with HDMI on the monitor I was previously using! Unfortunately, there are some significant issues that I need to work out. But hey, it does work, and it feels smoother than 10.5.8 did, interestingly enough!

Screen shot 2022-01-30 at 1.47.46 AM.png

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Well, Snow Leopard booted right up connected to a TV with component video, and after completing setup, works perfectly fine with HDMI on the monitor I was previously using! Unfortunately, there are some significant issues that I need to work out. But hey, it does work, and it feels smoother than 10.5.8 did, interestingly enough!

Can you provide an image so I can put 10.6 on my Apple TV?

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Inspired by your progress, I pulled down my ATV and plugged it in. It looks like I left the replacement HDD in there from years ago as it booted right into OSX. Mine is running 10.5.8, an iDeneb image. I must have installed this over Tiger before I put the project away. It still had the flashing front panel LED which I believe someone fixed in the interim. in any case, it does not seem too bad, actually. I will definitely give your image a test on the internal drive when you are ready.

Last edited:

Nixontheknight

Tinkerer
Nov 3, 2021
Inspired by your progress, I pulled down my ATV and plugged it in. It looks like I left the replacement HDD in there from years ago as it booted right into OSX. Mine is running 10.5.8, an iDeneb image. I must have installed this over Tiger before I put the project away. It still had the flashing front panel LED which I believe someone fixed in the interim. in any case, it does not seem too bad, actually. I will definitely give your image a test on the internal drive when you are ready.
I actually installed the image the original poster provided onto my Apple TV’s internal hard drive and it works just as well

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
I remember that the Computer Clan tried Tiger on an Apple TV and it ran horribly
I remember that it ran horribly too, but it may have been unresolved misconfiguration, as I remember there was a process that would start pushing the CPU utilization way high and mine would eventually overheat/hang/crash. Having just booted mine again and finding it on 10.5.8 surprised me, as I don’t remember setting it aside working this smoothly. It’s a lot better than I remember.

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
Fixing the issues with Snow Leopard isn't going so well. I'm not sure what the root cause of these issues are, but it's almost like mathematical operations are not working correctly:
  1. The time is blank. As in, there is no time. When trying to set the date and time, it goes negative (??!!)
  2. When fixing the audio driver to recognize the Apple TV ALC885 audio, there's a kernel panic whenever audio is played.
  3. Graphical issues galore! A lot of interface elements are calculating sizing and positioning ever so slightly off, which adds up to most things not looking right, and some things being unusable. For example, Setup Assistant on 10.6.8 never fades in, so the setup process must be completed on a Mac.
  4. Finder and Quick Look eat all of the CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the above issues.
All of this adds up to a more-or-less unusable experience. I've tried multiple different versions of 10.6, different kernels, various graphics and audio injectors, setting time from Terminal, disabling Quick Look, etc, but all of the issues remain. For the sake of science, I will upload a pre-installed, fully-updated image that anyone is welcome to try out and help solve these problems--if we can get this to work correctly, it will be great, as it runs much smoother compared to Leopard.

Reactions: JasonJJJ

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
When you've booted into OSX from the USB can you see the internal drive and then prep that for the install image?

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
When you've booted into OSX from the USB can you see the internal drive and then prep that for the install image?
You can access the internal HDD while booted from USB. I have not tried restoring the image that way, but theoretically it could work.

caver01

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
And if I recall, when I installed an image on my internal drive, at the time, hacking the ATV1 did not have a convenient usb patchstick solution yet, so we were pulling off the rubber boot and removing the HDD to set it up on a mac running Tiger.

dronecatcher

New Tinkerer
Oct 28, 2021
You can access the internal HDD while booted from USB. I have not tried restoring the image that way, but theoretically it could work.
That's great. I have an ATV on the way and wanted to avoid buying another PATA/IDE/SATA/USB adaptor - the one I bought years ago died after a week!

JasonJJJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2022
Fixing the issues with Snow Leopard isn't going so well. I'm not sure what the root cause of these issues are, but it's almost like mathematical operations are not working correctly:
  1. The time is blank. As in, there is no time. When trying to set the date and time, it goes negative (??!!)
  2. When fixing the audio driver to recognize the Apple TV ALC885 audio, there's a kernel panic whenever audio is played.
  3. Graphical issues galore! A lot of interface elements are calculating sizing and positioning ever so slightly off, which adds up to most things not looking right, and some things being unusable. For example, Setup Assistant on 10.6.8 never fades in, so the setup process must be completed on a Mac.
  4. Finder and Quick Look eat all of the CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if it was related to the above issues.
All of this adds up to a more-or-less unusable experience. I've tried multiple different versions of 10.6, different kernels, various graphics and audio injectors, setting time from Terminal, disabling Quick Look, etc, but all of the issues remain. For the sake of science, I will upload a pre-installed, fully-updated image that anyone is welcome to try out and help solve these problems--if we can get this to work correctly, it will be great, as it runs much smoother compared to Leopard.
will os x lion ever work on an appletv lol? Im looking forward for snow leopard, please upload when you're ready

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
will os x lion ever work on an appletv lol? Im looking forward for snow leopard, please upload when you're ready
Unfortunately the Pentium M processor in the Apple TV is 32-bit only, and Lion was only compiled for 64-bit. IIRC the first developer preview still had 32-bit code, but from recollection, that was not a pleasant build to use.

JasonJJJ

New Tinkerer
Jan 21, 2022
Unfortunately the Pentium M processor in the Apple TV is 32-bit only, and Lion was only compiled for 64-bit. IIRC the first developer preview still had 32-bit code, but from recollection, that was not a pleasant build to use.
So pity, but im ready to tackle snow leopard, please upload it asap, im willing to try it