"Platinum" PLA for Macs and Apple ][s

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Update: 2/1/2022 - I would stay away from the Extrudr filament. It's too light, and might be a bit too cool as well.

1643753031150.png

1643753043267.png

Update: 1/31/2022 - Looks like I'll have the Extrudr filament today. Hmmmm. ;)

UPDATE: 1/19/2022 - we have a potentially less expensive match?

I just found this. Spool cost plus shipping is lower than colorFabb, plus you get more in a standard roll. I have some inbound for color testing.

UPDATE: 12/16/2021 - we have a match!

Its from a Dutch company called colorFabb. It's just a touch warmer than perfect, but then again most of us are going to have slightly warmer plastics due to yellowing. This will pass the three foot test without question.

Upside: no minimum orders. Just place an order, they whip up a batch and they send it out. Beware: it's expensive.

IMG_2174.JPG RAL 7044 PLA

UPDATE 12/8/2021: heard from primary source: they no longer resell the PANTONE PLA. So I have to go direct to the manufacturer on that. Nice.

Just a note: I'm working on getting custom colored PLA 3D Printer filament, PANTONE matched, to the Platinum color of Macs and Apple ][s of a certain era. I have already gotten a PANTONE match chip and matched it against a cleaned and sanded internal part from a Color Classic. It's not perfect, but it passes the 1 meter test easily, and even the 30cm test if you aren't a colorphile.

This project will likely. however, result in a certain minimum buy in of spools. I have no idea what that cost will be. $200? $2000? No clue. The upside is that once this is done, future orders can be single spools, and then that color will be available to everyone. Another upside: PANTONE does the color match after the filament has been printed, so it will be a true printed match, and it's fully certified official PANTONE color.

I have the question to the manufacturer out now regarding pricing, so I'll report back here with that, if anyone wants to join me in the purchase.

Here's what the color match looks like. Chip on top. Color Classic speaker housing on bottom. Photo taken from about 16cm away.

264917014_1456601514740090_4671609365992900590_n.jpg

Last edited:

Garrett

Tinkerer
Oct 31, 2021
MN, USA
I can already imagine the many uses people could get from a filament that's the correct color. OEM looking "Mystic" I/O covers, new badges, feet, etc. I wonder what the costs would be to create a "PowerBook Gray" version as well. I have bought gray filament in the past only to realize it looks blue next to a 100 series PowerBook. Either way, great work and let us know what you find out!

Reactions: KingDingus

jcm-1

Tinkerer
I can already imagine the many uses people could get from a filament that's the correct color. OEM looking "Mystic" I/O covers, new badges, feet, etc. I wonder what the costs would be to create a "PowerBook Gray" version as well. I have bought gray filament in the past only to realize it looks blue next to a 100 series PowerBook. Either way, great work and let us know what you find out!
Well, the cost is probably the same as the Platinum filament. I'll know once I hear back from the vendor. They sure are taking their time. Might have to @ them on Twitter or something.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Tinkerer
Founder
Sep 2, 2021
Actually, it's 400 C. 421 is a cool grey with a lower gamma. 400 C is warm and so nearly right, it's magic.

Interesting. According to an article on Quora:

Apple called the warm, desaturated gray “Platinum,” part of the Snow White design language created by Frog Design and used from 1987 to 1990. It replaced the beige “Pantone 453” tone from the previous generation Apple ii and Mac products. The Platinum color lasted well into the 1990s across Apple’s portfolio, although it was copied by many competitors.

main-qimg-2915fc40816343df13fbbf13e839bbfd-lq

The Colors of Apple

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=866

"Apple does not normally use PMS color charts or Pantone color numbers to designate the platinum color that is now the company standard. Our platinum color number on a coded PMS chart is somewhere between 420 and 421, somewhat closer to 421. (This depends on the age of the chart and the light source used for viewing it."

The subject has come up on reddit: r/VintageApple - Help finding a Pantone colour to match Apple's Platinum colour

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Interesting. According to an article on Quora:
Yup! That's what I thought too. So I ordered some filament colored 421 C (someone had some) and it's just too cold.

I sanded to remove any surface yellowing. I used 220, 400, 800, 1600 to ensure that specular patterning from the sanding wasn't affecting the color.

But the PANTONE certified plastic color chip I ordered direct from PANTONE for $20 and placed next to a cleanly sanded interior part from a Platinum style machine doesn't lie.

421C filament on the top. 400 C chip on the bottom. Sanded speaker in the middle.

IMG_2161.JPG

jcm-1

Tinkerer
I have ordered a relatively inexpensive color matching meter. I'm going to take direct measurements of known colors, do some averaging (if I get different results on multiple tests), and re-compare. I'm not 100% sold on 400c. It's close, but.... not quite.

This will also allow me to match against Original Mac Beige, Apple ][ Beige and a host of other colors and get exact RGB or CMYK colors. Nifty.

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
I'm definetely interested in this, and can help fund a large order of spools if needed. The only catch is that I print all of my production parts in PETG, and I only use PLA for small detail parts.

jcm-1

Tinkerer
I'm definetely interested in this, and can help fund a large order of spools if needed. The only catch is that I print all of my production parts in PETG, and I only use PLA for small detail parts.
PETG BAYBEEE!

Ahem.

Seriously, though, the company has a few PETG filaments, but I'm not sure they do color matching on that.

Jongleur

New Tinkerer
Nov 5, 2021
Just ordered a 2kg spool of the ColourFab "Silk Grey RAL 7044" and as the only shipping option was DHL Express, I'm hoping it will arrive before Christmas (well... a guy can hope).

Reactions: jcm-1
Oct 19, 2021
I contacted my favorite filament provider Polymaker about creating a PLA filament in a 400C color.
I love their Matte finish PolyTerra PLA - and the fact that it comes in a recyclable cardboard spool.

I think they are willing to work with us to get this color produced - hopefully at a lower cost than the current source.

Here is the email I received from them.

Screen Shot 2021-12-20 at 12.00.00 PM.png

Let me know if this is something the community wants to pursue!
I dont want to step on anyone's toes here.

• Wow
Reactions: MacKilRoy and jcm-1

jcm-1

Tinkerer
I contacted my favorite filament provider Polymaker about creating a PLA filament in a 400C color.
I love their Matte finish PolyTerra PLA - and the fact that it comes in a recyclable cardboard spool.

I think they are willing to work with us to get this color produced - hopefully at a lower cost than the current source.

Here is the email I received from them.

View attachment 1969

Let me know if this is something the community wants to pursue!
I dont want to step on anyone's toes here.
That's nifty! If they can do RGB color codes, my color matching (over five items, each item sampled five times then averaged) indicates that the closest match is #BFBCB1.

Oct 19, 2021
That's nifty! If they can do RGB color codes, my color matching (over five items, each item sampled five times then averaged) indicates that the closest match is #BFBCB1.
Joe they are asking about possible community interest? Do you think you would sell them on your store? i am giving a rough estimate that they can sell 50 spools relatively quickly if we can spin up the right youtube videos ;)

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
You can't match a genrated color with a printed color. Completely different. You need CYMK values, which they will be able to match.

Reactions: Jongleur and jcm-1