"Platinum" PLA for Macs and Apple ][s

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Joe they are asking about possible community interest? Do you think you would sell them on your store? i am giving a rough estimate that they can sell 50 spools relatively quickly if we can spin up the right youtube videos ;)
Can they provide a small sample spool first (250g?) so we can do a couple test prints for matching? Do they certify that their Pantone match is to the final printed item?

Oct 19, 2021
I will ask in the next follow up email about a sample spool. I will probably ask you for your address in the near future so they can ship it to you- since you have the other good pla sample.
Can they provide a small sample spool first (250g?) so we can do a couple test prints for matching? Do they certify that their Pantone match is to the final printed item?

Reactions: jcm-1

warmech

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Same - I've got STLs for a bunch of broken/missing parts that I've just never been able to get close on paint color.

Reactions: jcm-1
Oct 19, 2021
Awesome, I am still in contact with PolyMaker to try and get some samples to us :) We will see if they can produce a matching color and hopefully add this color to their lineup.
I will keep you all posted!

Reactions: wottle and warmech

landogriffin

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Iowa
piscsi.org
I'd be interested in some also!
1642552230412.png

Melkhior

Tinkerer
Jan 9, 2022
Same - I've got STLs for a bunch of broken/missing parts that I've just never been able to get close on paint color.
Would that include the CD bezel of the C650/Q650 per chance ? (also IIvi/IIvx/...)
Drawings are available in the Developer Note, but I couldn't find an existing model (and that's too complex a shape for my skills).

Melkhior

Tinkerer
Jan 9, 2022
Just ordered a 2kg spool of the ColourFab "Silk Grey RAL 7044" and as the only shipping option was DHL Express, I'm hoping it will arrive before Christmas (well... a guy can hope).
Did you try the filament yet, is the color good ? (ColorFabb is a reliable, if expensive, supplier in my experience so could be good source for Europe).

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Yeah, unfortunately, it looks like shipping to the US doubles the cost. Anyone find a US source for that filament?

Also curious to see the results. My black Mystic back plate is less than ideal! :)
We don't have a US source yet. I've searched several times for RAL 7044 colored filament, and there are only two places I can find that carry that color, both in Europe.

@MacintoshLibrarian has a contact with a US supplier (PolyMaker) and has asked if they can make us custom colored filament. We're waiting to hear back from them.

• Love
Reactions: wottle and rikerjoe

warmech

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Would that include the CD bezel of the C650/Q650 per chance ? (also IIvi/IIvx/...)
Drawings are available in the Developer Note, but I couldn't find an existing model (and that's too complex a shape for my skills).
Huh... never seen those drawings before. Guess I know what I'm doing tonight.

Right now I've got working designs on Centris faceplates (blank only; tray-loading CDROM is still a far-off WIP), the rounded rear vent cover for a Q950, and reset/interrupt buttons for a Q800. I've also got a handful of things that I didn't design that I would just like to have color-matching-ish versions of. Q800 and Q950 bezels, as well as power buttons for PowerMac G3s, namely.

MacinJosh

Tinkerer
Jan 16, 2022
Finland
www.atariancomputing.com
Finally I got the PLA this morning. It had been sitting at a local distribution center for a week. Anyway, as promised, here is the Mystic back-plate.

It is very close in my opinion. I don't have a perfect, untarnished plastic to compare to. The inside of the CC is closest to original I can find. There is a very clean but yellowed LC475 cover as well.

I think it's a winner. At least for back-plates, external cases for RaSCSI, etc. It prints pretty well with my regular PLA settings. I still need to dial it in further. I printed at 205C, which is more than I usually print PLA with. I had to raise it up to avoid extruder skipping.

IMG_1714.JPG

IMG_1713.JPG

IMG_1712.JPG

IMG_1710.JPG

IMG_1709.JPG