retr01.com
I got mine today! 🤩🥳👏

1669501241516.jpeg
1669501283340.jpeg
1669501339087.jpeg

PotatoFi

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
That's a pretty fantastic color match! Nice work, @MacintoshLibrarian!

I think I might ask Polymaker if we can have this in a standard semi-gloss PETG, which is what I print all of my PiSCSI cases in. It doesn't print quite as clean, but it's a bit more durable than PLA, and sticks to textured beds insanely well.

IMG_5489.jpeg

Reactions: retr01

GutBomb

New Tinkerer
Dec 28, 2022
Thanks to @MacintoshLibrarian for letting them know that there are people out there who will buy this stuff! I just received a spool of the PloyTerra PLA Muted White yesterday and obviously started doing some test prints and it's the closest color match I've got, fantastic.

Does anyone find it to be excessively brittle? A couple of things I've printed that other PLA (like the light gray amazon basics that I was using for mac stuff before) seem way more durable and less prone to breaking (although the color match was not great). I printed out a @PotatoFi's rascsi case today and just popping the pi into it knocked out the dividers between the USB/ethernet ports. I also printed out one of my LC HDD/PiSCSI/BlueSCSI brackets and the sides snapped off as soon as I clipped it in to the case. Maybe my print settings are off (20% infill, 4 line walls, hotend temp, etc) or maybe I got a bad batch. Anyone else having issues with it breaking easily?

Edit: I did some googling and it might be temperature related. My prints are definitely breaking between layers. I have only tried printing at 200c so far but I found a guy on reddit claiming that printing at higher temperatures helps, and I'm guessing that the higher temperature works to help it's self-adhesion. I'll do some tests.

https://www.reddit.com/r/3Dprinting/comments/nf16s5/_/gyk3mu0

Last edited:

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
It seems the PolyTerra one isn't available in Europe yet, even Amazon doesn't have it. I mean, amazon.com has it, but amazon.fr only has the regular colors, not the Muted White… I found a PolyTerra distributor not too far and sent them a mail to see if they ever intend on selling it, but I guess everyone is on vacation.

Also, I ordered some samples from where we currently get our filaments for the fablab, and though the white, cream white and limestone white are way too light, the DailyFil Light Grey is not too bad of an approximation, a bit bluer, maybe less red, according to the histograms in GIMP (on a rectangular selection it does give some hints), although looking at under the feet of my Apple Keyboard II it too is quite grey and less beige than the rest.

I guess I'll have to do some test prints to get flat surfaces, as these wires are not easy to compare.

It also seems to be quite close to the ORIC1 grey.

Oh, and I sent a mail to the contact address for the Encycolorpedia to see if they would be willing to add filaments to their database, which could be useful for such matching in the future.

Attachments

• misc_DSCN2259.jpg
    misc_DSCN2259.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 55
  • misc_DSCN2260.jpg
    misc_DSCN2260.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 67
  • misc_DSCN2261.jpg
    misc_DSCN2261.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 54

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Btw, did we ever get a proper match for the PowerBook grey? (well, which one, not sure there's a single one actually…)
Should we make a topic for that?

Reactions: retr01

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
I got news:

With the absence of Polymaker Muted white filament, we are basically out of options for platinum filament to match retro Macs (and Apple II's).
I reached out to ColorFabb USA, and they basically told me they don't have facilities to make filament, and the best they could do is manually create the request for RAL 7044. Still would be 50€ plus expensive shipping.
The "good" news, is that I reached out eSun and got an answer. Will see if they consider making it, but at least there's hope.
Will keep you posted.

mmu_man

Tinkerer
Jan 30, 2022
Maybe someone in Europe could get some, then ship them to the US. Seems shipping was free to France for a 2kg spool last time.

trag

Tinkerer
Oct 25, 2021
I got news:

With the absence of Polymaker Muted white filament,

Am I correct in observing that it no longer is available from Amazon? Or the manufacturer either, I guess. I guess I should have acted two years ago, but I wouldn't have used it yet, so kind of a silly purchase, until it turns out that was the one opportunity in time to get some...