"Platinum" PLA for Macs and Apple ][s

warmech

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
That's incredible! I stand by my earlier post - if the option to get this stateside becomes available, I'll definitely buy some.

Elemenoh

Active Tinkerer
Oct 18, 2021
Bay Area
@MacEffects FYI on this thread since we were just chatting about the subject. It'd be nice to find a shop that specializes in plastic/paint spectrometry to sample something like a sealed-in-box accessory with no texture (like the inside of a mouse ball cover) that's likely to be exactly or close to true original color. It'd be great to have those specs to then make custom color PLA, resin, paint, ink, stickers etc.

landogriffin

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Iowa
piscsi.org

Here's my first test print with the Extrudr Grey.. I think this looks great! (which is good, because I accidentally ordered the 2.5kg spool, instead of the 1kg!)

1644972622359.png

landogriffin

Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Iowa
piscsi.org
(Yes, I'm in the US 🇺🇸) Shipping was €26, so not too bad for international shipping. It was surprisingly fast too. I was expecting a month or more, but IIRC, it was around a week.

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Hi y'all! I'm new to the 3D world (I blame Joe!) and using my design background I am trying to get some custom color PLA providers that are closer to us, to get affordable materials. Just want to share what I'm doing, so maybe we can get bulk prices and do some group buy. Will update on the results soon.

Reactions: PotatoFi

CygnusTM

New Tinkerer
Mar 29, 2022
Using my first post to say I'd be down for buying some of the Polymaker filament. I've had good experiences with them.

Reactions: Javmast3r

jcm-1

Tinkerer
Okay, dropping a question here to everyone listening: Javier @Javmast3r did some pricing on shipping for the ColorFabb filament, and we can ship more and more filament for about the same shipping price. Like 10 rolls costs as much to ship as 1 roll?
????!?!??!?!?

So, here's the question: should I poll just this group here for doing a group buy, or should I start a new thread and see what we can drum up from the entire TD community? Thoughts?

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
depending on the quantity, we could get shipping for as low as $10 each, then just pay national shipping to our place.

Reactions: wottle

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Joe and I are getting ready to order some PLA from Europe, this is your chance to band together, so we can pay less per person on shipping. To be clear: We don't get any special discount, just paying for one shipping cost instead of multiple ones.
Either respond here or via PM ASAP, we plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
Joe and I are getting ready to order some PLA from Europe, this is your chance to band together, so we can pay less per person on shipping. To be clear: We don't get any special discount, just paying for one shipping cost instead of multiple ones.
Either respond here or via PM ASAP, we plan on doing this in the next couple of weeks.
I'm in for a spool if it's reasonable total cost.

How much is the base spool cost? So cost would be spool cost + (total shipping to US / number of people buying) + shipping from US location to individual?

Reactions: Javmast3r

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
I'm in for a spool if it's reasonable total cost.

How much is the base spool cost? So cost would be spool cost + (total shipping to US / number of people buying) + shipping from US location to individual?
$62.70 USD according to their site. I don't think there's tax added, but shipping of several spools (at least when added to the cart) was not that high.
We are trying to save on shipping, which is around $40 for one spool to the US.
If we can divide it and get it for around $10 per person, then shipping within continental US *could* be as low as $8 when sent via ground.
I'm thinking $18 total for shipping is a great deal, again, it all depends on final price of the amount of spools, we would share the exact info before purchasing for transparency.

Reactions: wottle

Javmast3r

Tinkerer
Oct 27, 2021
Yeow... the base price is a lot more than I expected. Unfortunately I think $80.70 for 1kg of filament is too expensive for me.
I agree, we are paying premium to have a specific color. Thanks for trying, tho. Anyway, we may be able to help you to print stuff in the future.

wottle

Tinkerer
Oct 30, 2021
Fort Mill, SC
$62.70 USD according to their site. I don't think there's tax added, but shipping of several spools (at least when added to the cart) was not that high.
We are trying to save on shipping, which is around $40 for one spool to the US.
If we can divide it and get it for around $10 per person, then shipping within continental US *could* be as low as $8 when sent via ground.
I'm thinking $18 total for shipping is a great deal, again, it all depends on final price of the amount of spools, we would share the exact info before purchasing for transparency.
OK, sign me up for a spool. It's a lot, but I want to make this happen, and I'll be willing to print parts for others with the spool when I get it.