2023 PowerPC Challenge!

wicknix

Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2022
WI, USA
randommacstuff.blogspot.com
Using Conversation IRC via Bitlbee for Discord chat on Tiger.

PPCC2023.png

Hi everyone!

Me and some old-mac-lovers-fellows are planning to participate of 2023 PowerPC Challenge with some online gaming sessions. We'll be trying to melt down our PPC Macs running Unreal Tournament 2004 in the summer of Brazil!!! 🤣

Everybody are welcome to join us!

Next Sunday, 01/08
17:00 Brazil time (GMT -3)
Unreal tournament 2004 available here: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/unreal-tournament-2004
Server IP: 187.20.156.211
In the game go to "join game" - "internet"- right click on the server list and "open IP". Type the IP above and hit connect.

See you!

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
One issue I had last year was the inability to use iMessage and SMS properly from my PowerPC Macs, since I am a heavy user of the Messages app on my modern Macs. I found a few different solutions for this, but nothing I found worked quite the way I wanted--so I took matters into my own hands!

I made Message Bridge, which is an app you run on your modern Mac, and has a simple web interface you can load from your old Macs! It works on lighter older browsers on OS X like Safari and Camino, and even works on Classilla when you're booted into OS 9. For this year, I plan to use Leopard as my main OS, so I am using Fluid to have a nice simple Messages window on my G5 using Message Bridge.

View attachment 10339
If the PPC just shows a blank window with "No Chat Selected" but also no chats available to choose from (bridge is running, nothing blocking access), what could the issue be? I don't want to clutter up this thread so if I should be asking somewhere else just let me know :)

Right after I typed the above terminal showed
"/MessageBridge/MessageBridge.command: line 22: 80985 Segmentation fault: 11 bin/MessageBridge serve --hostname 0.0.0.0 --port $MBPORT
logout"

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
PPCMC is great. However there is another option similar to tenfivetube and it does support live streams. Requires InterWebPPC to be installed to use it. http://macintoshgarden.org/apps/intertube
I recommend using it with a G5 and use the FS version if you just want the video window without the extra thumbnails/comments showing.

Thanks for the chat script. Will test it out on the next live stream i'm actually home for.
Nice, that works! Definitely a big difference in CPU usage though-- the CPU is pegged while playing in InterTube, whereas ffplay uses about 40% for 480p.
It worked for me on my G5, although only under leopard WebKit and I couldn’t send any messages as I wasn’t signed in. InterWeb threw a not supported error from YouTube’s end and I didn’t try ArcticFox.
Ah yeah, you'll want to sign in before using the script. Typing in the chat input field is a bit slow, so I usually enter the text in another window and copy it over.
If the PPC just shows a blank window with "No Chat Selected" but also no chats available to choose from (bridge is running, nothing blocking access), what could the issue be? I don't want to clutter up this thread so if I should be asking somewhere else just let me know :)

Right after I typed the above terminal showed
"/MessageBridge/MessageBridge.command: line 22: 80985 Segmentation fault: 11 bin/MessageBridge serve --hostname 0.0.0.0 --port $MBPORT
logout"
I should probably start a separate topic :) Regardless, do you have a screenshot of the messagebridge terminal window with all of the output showing? It sounds like it's failing at some point when attempting to parse the Messages database.

wicknix

Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2022
WI, USA
Nice, that works! Definitely a big difference in CPU usage though-- the CPU is pegged while playing in InterTube, whereas ffplay uses about 40% for 480p.
Yeah, it's not as efficient as ppcmc, but it comes in handy at times. My DC 2.3ghz G5 doesn't really struggle at all with it even at 720p. Dropping it to 360p and making the window a bit smaller will drop cpu use a bit on slower machines.

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Here I am, finally, working on my PPC.
I was going to use my Pismo this year but there are so many cool projects out there that require more horsepower and a newer OS, so dusted off my trusty MDD G4.
Currently running a dual 867MHz CPU card as I have no idea where I've put my Sonnet or other cards for this thing. So far this CPU is keeping up just fine though.

The hardware: https://thehouseofmoth.com/project-maya-the-2002-mdd/
The OS: Sorbet Leopard
Software (so far):
- Arctic Fox, seems to run well but having some big issues using copy/paste so might try something else.
- Discord Lite, won't sign me in so that may not be happening.
- Plex, Latest version for PPC, of course not connecting to my server but I am hoping to figure that out.
- PPCMC, haven't played with this yet but looks promising.
- iMessage Bridge, still trying to figure this one out as well.
- Unreal Tournament 2004, no explanation needed here, come on!

AFP File sharing is enough for in-house use, I can access this PPC from any other Mac without issue, including Monterey.

I'm only a few hours in so plenty left to do but at least it's set up and running :)
(And of course, this post was typed up on the G4!)

Attachments

• Picture 2.png
    Picture 2.png
    25 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
Reactions: scj312 and rikerjoe

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
Does doing all but browsing under OS9 on DA, QS, and a couple of G3 'Books when they're down for twenty years count for anything?
Of course. Not everyone cares about browsing or youtube which is awesome - a refreshing alternative from the "yeah but how do/can you play youtube perspective?

On a side note, the thermal pads for my 17" PB arrived so I will try to get that portable pbg4 back up this weekend as part of my ppc challenge. Excited about that Woohoo. :D

Reactions: Volvo242GT

Paralel

Tinkerer
Dec 14, 2022
If anyone wants to sell me an "Antimony", TiBook, A1025, M8859 that is in good shape for a decent price, I'm game :whistle:

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Does doing all but browsing under OS9 on DA, QS, and a couple of G3 'Books when they're down for twenty years count for anything?
When browsing, social media and watching videos becomes cumbersome, like it is on these PPC's, you quickly find ways to entertain yourself that do not involve being online 24-bloody-7. You explore old games, spend time creating stuff in photoshop, go through old data archives and basically end up doing all the stuff you used to do before the internet came along :) If you're addicted to being online, like most people are, this can take a few days. But once you get there, it's an amazing experience!

3lectr1c

Active Tinkerer
May 15, 2022
the United States
www.macdat.net
I don't know if I could dedicate 2 weeks of using PPC as much as possible for everything, but over the next week or so I might see how much I can get done with my 17" DLSD G4. Does anyone know of a way to get a google drive desktop volume running on Leopard? If that's possible then I could use the DLSD to work on my website! I suppose I could just use a local volume, but having my changes sync over the cloud (I use multiple devices to work on the site), it would throw a big ol' wrench in my workflow to take it local for a few days.

scj312

Tinkerer
Oct 29, 2021
When browsing, social media and watching videos becomes cumbersome, like it is on these PPC's, you quickly find ways to entertain yourself that do not involve being online 24-bloody-7. You explore old games, spend time creating stuff in photoshop, go through old data archives and basically end up doing all the stuff you used to do before the internet came along :) If you're addicted to being online, like most people are, this can take a few days. But once you get there, it's an amazing experience!
Agreed, after one week I am still excited to sit down at my PPC each day. The modern web can be a real drain, and it's nice to avoid a lot of it!

I've been working on attachment and image support for Message Bridge, so here I am enjoying a @Branchus livestream while testing out sending a photo of Fifi 🐈⬛ from my iPhone to my G5.

Picture 1.png

I've also started using Colloquy with bitlbee-discord due to some instability issues I've been having with Discord Lite.

Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
I have decided to not waste any time trying to figure stuff out this PPC Challenge. I get it may go against the spirit of the challenge but I just want to enjoy it, not spend 90% of my time figuring out how to make things work. SSL, proxies, discord clients, iMessage bridge, etc etc, I'd love to use it but until some step-by-step guides appear, I won't.
What I really wanted to get done this time around is play some of my old games, tonight was Halo's turn. Man do I love this game! 2 hours passed like it was nothing. Tomorrow I might check out Alien VS Predator again :D

wicknix

Tinkerer
Jan 5, 2022
WI, USA
but until some step-by-step guides appear
Bitlbee-discord: here, here, and how to set up limechat to look like discord here.
TenFiveTube: No guide needed. (right click anywhere but the video window for forward/back/reload controls) Recommend v3 for G4 machines.
InterWebPPC: No guide needed. (install the linked extensions to block ads and scripts)
PPCMC: Navigate to youtube, copy video url, open PPCMC, select watch youtube video or live stream (it auto pastes url from clipboard and loads the video). Same works for twitch.tv streams, and downloading audio/video from YT).
Discord-Lite: is broken on anything older than 10.11 due to recent TLS updates on discords end. Only works on legacy OS X if you have another machine running a socks proxy.
Facebook mobile: Just log in and use it like you would on your phone. (Leopard only)
SSL proxy: Not needed for Tiger or Leopard unless you want to use safari/webkit instead of TenFourFox/InterWebPPC/etc. If that's the case:
1) Old-ssl proxy requires another machine running Linux. https://bitbucket.org/ValdikSS/oldssl-proxy/src/master/ (set up instructions on the linked page).
2) Legacy Mac Proxy. Requires 10.6 - 10.9 running on another machine. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fixing-https-issues-on-old-versions-of-os-x.2281326/ (set up instructions are in the dmg)
3) Charles Proxy. Not free, and requires another machine running 10.7 - 10.15

A little elbow grease setting some of these up makes these machines a lot more usable and is part of the fun. Or is some cases, part of the challenge.

Last edited:

Certificate of Excellence

Active Tinkerer
Nov 1, 2021
United Sates
I have decided to not waste any time trying to figure stuff out this PPC Challenge. I get it may go against the spirit of the challenge but I just want to enjoy it, not spend 90% of my time figuring out how to make things work. SSL, proxies, discord clients, iMessage bridge, etc etc, I'd love to use it but until some step-by-step guides appear, I won't.
What I really wanted to get done this time around is play some of my old games, tonight was Halo's turn. Man do I love this game! 2 hours passed like it was nothing. Tomorrow I might check out Alien VS Predator again :D
Everyone's use case is different which is cool but it's pretty much all right there @The House of Moth (what I use to get around anyhow in leopard on my g4 & g5s). Just install and go aside from Bitlbee which takes a few minutes to get set up for discord but Wicknix's tutorial on MR is clear and easy to follow. I think I put in around 20 minutes to get it working with the guide but now its forever just ready to rumble - so helpful @wicknix - thank you.
Bitlbee-discord: here, here, and how to set up limechat to look like discord here.
TenFiveTube: No guide needed. (right click anywhere but the video window for forward/back/reload controls) Recommend v3 for G4 machines.
InterWebPPC: No guide needed. (install the linked extensions to block ads and scripts)
PPCMC: Navigate to youtube, copy video url, open PPCMC, select watch youtube video or live stream (it auto pastes url from clipboard and loads the video). Same works for twitch.tv streams, and downloading audio/video from YT).
Discord-Lite: is broken on anything older than 10.11 due to recent TLS updates on discords end. Only works on legacy OS X if you have another machine running a socks proxy.
Facebook mobile: Just log in and use it like you would on your phone. (Leopard only)
SSL proxy: Not needed for Tiger or Leopard unless you want to use safari/webkit instead of TenFourFox/InterWebPPC/etc. If that's the case:
1) Old-ssl proxy requires another machine running Linux. https://bitbucket.org/ValdikSS/oldssl-proxy/src/master/ (set up instructions on the linked page).
2) Legacy Mac Proxy. Requires 10.6 - 10.9 running on another machine. https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/fixing-https-issues-on-old-versions-of-os-x.2281326/ (set up instructions are in the dmg)
3) Charles Proxy. Not free, and requires another machine running 10.7 - 10.15
@dronecatcher I saw your script & post on MR. Excited to get this going - it looks great. Kids & wife are all urpy :sick: at the moment lol so it'll have to wait until after they get better but I'm excited to give it a go. All these fun opportunities to do for this years PPC challenge are piling up. :D
Still doing my bit for PowerPC ;)
Like most online resources, Bandcamp stopped working a few months ago on PowerPC but yt-dlp saves the day....

Last edited:
Reactions: wicknix
Oct 18, 2021
Ohio, USA
thehouseofmoth.com
Hi everyone!

Me and some old-mac-lovers-fellows are planning to participate of 2023 PowerPC Challenge with some online gaming sessions. We'll be trying to melt down our PPC Macs running Unreal Tournament 2004 in the summer of Brazil!!! 🤣

Everybody are welcome to join us!

Next Sunday, 01/08
17:00 Brazil time (GMT -3)
Unreal tournament 2004 available here: https://macintoshgarden.org/games/unreal-tournament-2004
Server IP: 187.20.156.211
In the game go to "join game" - "internet"- right click on the server list and "open IP". Type the IP above and hit connect.

See you!
Good games! I will be back later tonight if the server is still online :)

Reactions: marcosfisica