BlueSCSI on Macintosh Portable

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
Thanks, I edited the last reply to you. Was wondering how you went about direct power to your BlueSCSI... did you tap directly into the battery? you have constant power to it even when you shut down?
Just checked: there's no power to the board when the machine is in sleep mode. As I push any key and wake it up, power surges immediately.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
So after discovering connecting the logic analyzer fixes the issue, it seems like it's something with the SEL line. Putting a capacitive load on it seems to partially resolve the issue.
I put a 10nF capacitor from SEL to ground, and it will wake from sleep after a few minutes just fine. There was one time it didn't work, but I haven't been able to get it to happen again.

No luck here with a 10nf cap :(

I noticed though a lot of the time after waking from sleep the BlueSCSI powers up AND the activity LED on on the main board flashes as well as the activity led on the pi pico once or twice and then it freezes.

Heres the cap I tacked on to try it:

IMG_5348.jpeg
IMG_5347.jpeg

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
You probably saw it already, but I confirm I take the power directly from the internal SCSI connector (both 5 and 12V, regardless whether they are used or not).
So, same working logic as the original Conner drive.
Right I saw what I could from the photo. My guess is that would be the same as my setup.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
It Looks like there's a pin on the floppy cable the provides +5v on wake up. If that would work without a current overload, I could make an adapter that the cable plugs into and then the adapter could plug into the floppy and supply +5 to the connector on the BlueSCSI.

IMG_5349.jpeg

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Found another sleep / wake issue. After waking, the cpu speed is much slower.
before sleep cpu test from apple diagnostics reports cpu speed is 1.38 times faster than a Mac plus. After sleep / wake it reports cpu speed is 1.7 time slower than a max plus.

I first noticed everything seemed sluggish after sleep.

I noticed in this article:

In the “about the power manager” section it mentions a lot about the Mac portable and slowing the cpu down.

🤔

Not a big deal to just restart now that it’s not freezing up but curious still…

Paolo B

Tinkerer
Nov 27, 2021
Nagoya, Japan
I thought it was isolated to system 6 but it was a false alarm same thing happens in 7.5.3.
Honestly I cannot reproduce this one. I am using Norton Utilities and the score (overall, CPU, video, disk, FPU(sw)) are exactly the same after a fresh start or wake up from sleep.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Honestly I cannot reproduce this one. I am using Norton Utilities and the score (overall, CPU, video, disk, FPU(sw)) are exactly the same after a fresh start or wake up from sleep.

OK yeah mine is 100% consistent and very noticeable. I have the talking moose extension on and after wake up he sounds like a slow talking demon from hell 😂

I’m wondering (again) if it could be related to the hybrid board I had to replace since it’s power manager related. 🤷‍♂️ if it is then it’s SuperSVGA’s problem again 😝

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
Also I tried multiple systems. I booted off of a bare bones System 6.0.8 install disk and it still does it.

So I need someone with a third party hybrid board (mine is @SuperSVGA’s) to confirm it is not happening so I know it is isolated to my board only. I could try @Androda’s hybrid board as well to rule it out since it’s socketed it would be an easy swap.

Maybe one of them will chime in with some info.

*its kindof a bummer since I finally get the hard drive working and I still need to reboot anyway after waking from sleep 😤

Androda

TinkerDifferent Board Secretary 2023
Staff member
Sep 25, 2021
USA, Western
androda.work
The hybrid module is probably not at fault here. The hybrid sends a signal to the power manager chip which indicates battery level. And the power manager chip sends a signal to the hybrid to tell it whether -5 volts should be generated or not. If that battery level signal droops too low your system will pop up a message saying something to the effect of "your battery is the weakest link, goodbye" and then the OS shuts down.

If main 5v rail regulation had failed on the hybrid, it's not likely that your system would be working at all.

CPU clock frequency comes from U10D, the "CPU Glue" logic chip. If the clock frequency is wrong, something might be up with the CPU Glue chip, the CPU Glue oscillator, or the "5/0" power rail (which powers both the CPU and clock oscillator). Check voltage on Q11's pin 2 (the big tab) near the CPU.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
The hybrid module is probably not at fault here. The hybrid sends a signal to the power manager chip which indicates battery level. And the power manager chip sends a signal to the hybrid to tell it whether -5 volts should be generated or not. If that battery level signal droops too low your system will pop up a message saying something to the effect of "your battery is the weakest link, goodbye" and then the OS shuts down.

If main 5v rail regulation had failed on the hybrid, it's not likely that your system would be working at all.

CPU clock frequency comes from U10D, the "CPU Glue" logic chip. If the clock frequency is wrong, something might be up with the CPU Glue chip, the CPU Glue oscillator, or the "5/0" power rail (which powers both the CPU and clock oscillator). Check voltage on Q11's pin 2 (the big tab) near the CPU.
Good to know. Ok I’ll check it. I’ll have to take the machine apart again when I have time. I'm looking at the schematics and see that Q11 goes to Sys_Pwr on U15H. What is that? It's hard to tell which chip it is on the board. I guess it is the VIA.

Sideburn

Tinkerer
Jun 16, 2023
California
youtube.com
My guess is the CPU glue oscillator is fine since everything works perfectly until it sleeps and then wakes up. Ive tested the charging/discarge and alert dialogs that pop up as the battery gets low and runs on reserve power all the way to the "goodbye" message. I get about 7 hours of runtime on a charge. So something (assuming the power manager) seems to be deliberately putting the clock in "low power" mode and then never coming out of it.