A takky Mac…..

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Yes!
Its OK, but I prefer the 9,7“ Ipad display as its brighter.
At about 40€ incl delivery not too bad, Arriving in about two weeks to the Netherlands….

A ipad mini display would be nicer though.

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
Yeah, the iPad screen is better. RGB2HDMI will allow you to have HDMI out to your iPad quickly. It works from an Apple IIGS (as with any Apple II using either VidHD card, RGB2HDMI, or Extron RGB to HDMI). :)(y)

As an example:

x29u0c3ck3j61.jpg
The downside with using an iPad inside a compact Mac is that unless you have easy access to the iPad, getting to it after you close the case is a pain. Also, you have to include USB charging to keep it charged. :cautious:

So, an LCD screen is easier to deal with in the long run. :sneaky:

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
Hi, I have an iMac and it's a little different from yours, but I will introduce a little.
This was made 17 years ago...However, it was out of order, so I was repairing and recreating it this time.

I didn't use the LCD, I'm doing it on a monochrome monitor. I will make another post soon.

Attachments

• IMG_1722.jpeg
    IMG_1722.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_1693.jpg
    IMG_1693.jpg
    841.5 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1640.jpg
    IMG_1640.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108
Reactions: retr01

retr01

Senior Tinkerer
Jun 6, 2022
Utah, USA
retr01.com
I love your black coated chassis.

So do I, @Kay K.M.Mods! :love:

Having the chassis baked black is one option. @JDW mentioned that @MacEffects had the chassis nickel plated. I researched in my area where I could take the chassis to nickel plate it and realized it may be too costly?

I am thinking if there are other approaches? Any ideas?

And @-SE40-, what did you do with the chassis of your SE/30? :cautious: I know you built a replacement wooden chassis, but what did you do with the original chassis? 🤔

Last edited:

Kay K.M.Mods

Active Tinkerer
Sep 23, 2021
Tokyo
www.kerosmm.com
So do I, @Kay K.M.Mods! :love:

Having the chassis baked black is one option. @JDW mentioned that @MacEffects had the chassis nickel plated. I researched in my area where I could take the chassis to nickel plate it and realized it may be too costly?

I am thinking if there are other approaches? Any ideas?

And @-SE40-, what did you do with the chassis of your SE/30? :cautious: I know you built a replacement wooden chassis, but what did you do with the original chassis? 🤔
To be precise, the plating used on the chassis is bright chromate conversion coatings. The HD housing is the same, but I think the floppy drive housing is often chrome-plated (zinc base).
If re-plating is to be applied, the rust must be completely removed by surface treatment. And a clean, scratch-free surface is preferred. The plating is often not very thick so it will not fill the scratches.

If you want to paint the same gray color as the genuine one, you may have toned the matte candy gray. This is closer to genuine.
However, since it is a candy color, spots will appear if the base is discolored. But it's better than damaged.

Attachments

• IMG_1057.jpeg
    IMG_1057.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1061.jpeg
    IMG_1061.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1059.jpeg
    IMG_1059.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 79
  • IMG_1058.jpeg
    IMG_1058.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 77
Reactions: -SE40-

-SE40-

Tinkerer
Apr 30, 2022
The Netherlands
pin.it
Thats well done!
I am thinking about anodizing my aluminium frame lateron.
But then again a paint-coating in dark grey or black can look good too (as youve shown)👍